Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is more Star Wars a good thing???

With the latest post about the future of Disneyland I am both excited and bummed of what I am hearing and reading.

On one hand I am so glad that Tomorrowland seems like it will be getting the upgrade it so desperately needs.

But on the other hand, why is there so much emphasis on Star Wars? I get that its popular. Believe me, I love the Star Wars movies (even episodes 1, 2, 3) but with so many other options to choose, why not configure a land that can utilize all types of Disney characters and movies like Tron, stitch, and wall-e? i feel like star wars appeals to one fan base (a large fan base) but a land full of different characters and stories could maybe appeal to both children and adults alike.

I guess only time will tell!

Re: Is more Star Wars a good thing???

I'll take more Star Wars over more Innoventions any day!

• Minion

I think the proposed Star Wars plans are overdoing it and it's jarring that they're thinking of something like the Star Wars plans when they seem to be trying to make Tomorrowland the next big "Parks-inspired media franchise" with Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, Disney Junior's Miles from Tomorrowland, Max Landis's Space Mountain movie and to a lesser extent, Wander over Yonder taking a heavy "Ward Kimball's Tomorrowland shows" influence.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

In Tomorrowland, it is not a good thing imo. In a 3rd park, definitely, build all the Star Wars you want.

• Singing Drinker

I'm wondering more and more how directly this is intended to be a counter to Wizarding World.

Universal's built a successful, deeply themed land that is drawing well enough to justify a second and third park expansion of the same non-Universal IP.

Disney may well be looking at that and thinking "only a similar full-area theme will do".

I'm not a huge SW fan any more. For me completely redoing TL to SW would be DOA. However, from a conservative reactionary profit-centric point of view, only a full SW land would do. After all, it worked for Uni.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

In Florida at the Disney Studio Theme Park..............YES!

At Disneyland...........NO! (or, in the words of George Lucas.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• -

Is more Star Wars a good thing? I would have to say that depends. In Tomorrowland as anything other than a temporary fixture like a “Weekends” type of event, I would have to respond in the negative. Added to CA Adventure, I would also have to vote in the negative as this has nothing to do with CA.

However, as a new land added to one of Disneyland’s expansion areas or as a third park, I would give it a very big thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
    but with so many other options to choose, why not configure a land that can utilize all types of Disney characters and movies like Tron, stitch, and wall-e?
    Why not configure a land without all the character references? A land that can show where mankind will progress in the future with some real-life concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    After all, it worked for Uni.
    There was a time when good enough for Universal, wasn’t good enough for Disneyland. Disneyland used to be the industry leader. This is a standard that they really need to get back to. It’s not good enough to do whatever one’s competitors are doing. Disney should be setting the trends with their competitors struggling to keep up, not the reverse.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

More Star Wars is absolutely a good thing. For starters it already has a history with Tomorrowland and is ingrained with Star Tours and the Jedi Academy. Also, it fits the theme unlike finding nemo, toy story, and the rumors of a Incredibles ride. Finally, I am very confident that a Star Wars land is very much something that people would get excited about and come to Disneyland to check out which means better attendance and revenue which means more investment in rides, shows, and attractions. It's win-win!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There was a time when good enough for Universal, wasn’t good enough for Disneyland. Disneyland used to be the industry leader. This is a standard that they really need to get back to. It’s not good enough to do whatever one’s competitors are doing. Disney should be setting the trends with their competitors struggling to keep up, not the reverse.
    That box has done been opened already, Pandora

One of the main reasons Disney finds itself in this position (and I'm almost willing to say this isn't opinion but fact, just don't have stats on it) is that it keeps chasing the talent away.

Matt Ouimett oversees a renaissance in CM attitudes and was for a while viewed as one of the better park Presidents. He works at Knott's now. Oddly enough, morale's through the ceiling there and the park's embarked on a wide ranging rebuild and re-commitment to the "Knott's" part of the park including the wildly successful Log Ride rebuild.

Most of the Imagineers and support staff - costumers, parts builders etc. - have all been laid off over the last decade or so, and since then we've seen a massive surge in quality at other parks across the board with new parks, expansions and detailed ride experiences that would very likely have not happened had Disney not decided to go the Harvard MBA "Slash and Burn" route.

Universal's threatening to overtake Disney for very good fairly easily traceable reasons. It doesn't help that they're all self inflicted.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Closed Account

More Star Wars regardless of where you put it is a bad thing in my opinion. I hate to see Disneyland take that path. Granted, I know Star Wars is HUGE to some people, but to me, I could care less. Having been too young to care about the movies when they originally came out (born in 1981), I watched Star Wars about two years ago, the original, just to say I had seen it. I could not believe how bad of a movie it was. The special effects, even for the late 1970s were terrible. The plot was awful. And it was just an all around bad movie. I know there are millions who disagree with me, and that's why the series is so popular, but I don't now, nor have I ever understood the hype around the series.

If Disneyland wants to build Star Wars, Tron, Marvel, or whatever the heck else they want to do that is about as anti-Disney as you can get (think about it, none of those franchises really scream Disney), they can do it at a third gate, DCA, or in Florida. If they start putting it in Disneyland in large quantities, I know it would be the end of our life long annual passes. If you want to "ride the movies" go to Universal Studios. If you want a "thrill" go to Magic Mountain, but please keep that junk from cluttering the original Disneyland park.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    One of the main reasons Disney finds itself in this position (and I'm almost willing to say this isn't opinion but fact, just don't have stats on it) is that it keeps chasing the talent away.

Matt Ouimett oversees a renaissance in CM attitudes and was for a while viewed as one of the better park Presidents. He works at Knott's now. Oddly enough, morale's through the ceiling there and the park's embarked on a wide ranging rebuild and re-commitment to the "Knott's" part of the park including the wildly successful Log Ride rebuild.

Most of the Imagineers and support staff - costumers, parts builders etc. - have all been laid off over the last decade or so, and since then we've seen a massive surge in quality at other parks across the board with new parks, expansions and detailed ride experiences that would very likely have not happened had Disney not decided to go the Harvard MBA "Slash and Burn" route.

Universal's threatening to overtake Disney for very good fairly easily traceable reasons. It doesn't help that they're all self inflicted.
    ka-bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Absolutely not! Replacing a decrepit Tomorrow Land with an energetic Star Wars Land would give Disney a huge shot of much needed adrenaline. We were at Disneyland back in September, 2012 and I was amazed at how old and feeble Tomorrow Land felt. It most certainly didn't feel like "tomorrow" and sadly felt more like "yesterday". I'm sorry but Tomorrow Land needs to be euthanized.

The whole idea of "tomorrow" has become a losing proposition for Disneyland. I believe it was on this forum where a member stated that there is more "tomorrow" at your local Best Buy then there is at Tomorrow Land. Since this is a sad truth Disney just needs to accept the fact that a general change in philosophy has to happen. The idea of "tomorrow" was a viable ideology back in the 1950s but nearly 60 years later the concept of a 1950s "tomorrow" just doesn't work. Disney is much better off just re imagining Tomorrow Land into a science fiction land or better yet, Star Wars Land.

Keep in mind that this isn't Pixar's, A Bug's Land we're talking about here. This is Star Was, a cultural icon for nearly forty years. We're talking about a franchise that has deeply influenced and inspired two generations of Americans and is strong enough to have that same effect on a third. We're talking about a franchise that is so popular that it spawned it's own unofficial holiday, May 4th (aka - May The 4th Be With You). I would wager next month's mortgage payment that in 20 years Star Wars will still be a viable commodity while other franchises like Nemo and Bug's will wither up and die.

We're talking about Star Wars and I'm all for this. Bring it!
    Last edited by MaloCS; 08-06-2013 at 10:23 AM.

• Sock Puppet

It's also worth noting that Universal was able to do what Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris always dreamed of: Having long lines just to visit gift shops and eateries! Universal did this by creating richly themed environments and great rides and thus created experinces that made people want to shop and buy gifts and sample foods from that fantasy universe.

Meanwhile at Disney, Pressler thought he could do that just by shutting down rides and opening more stores.

No it is not. For SW to work the way they want, nearly all of TL would need to be rebuilt from scratch. They won't do that. So TL will end up in an ugly middle between a generic futuristic land and a Potter-esque SW land. But who knows? People certainly like SW well enough to justify it. IT may turn out to work just fine.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tomorrow View Post
    It's also worth noting that Universal was able to do what Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris always dreamed of: Having long lines just to visit gift shops and eateries! Universal did this by creating richly themed environments and great rides and thus created experinces that made people want to shop and buy gifts and sample foods from that fantasy universe.

Meanwhile at Disney, Pressler thought he could do that just by shutting down rides and opening more stores.
    Werd.

When you have to seriously consider shutting down one of the shops in your new expansion *in favor of opening a new version that is at least double the size and is still expected to come with lengthy waits*, you're on to something.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast