Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 gates, 3 entrances, all join at the Esplanade?

Disneyland and California adventure meet at the Esplanade in such a beautiful, synergistic way that the sum of the two resorts is greater than the individual parts. Even those ambivalent about Disney Resort marvel at the beauty and efficiency of the Esplanade design.

Having all 3 parks meet at the Esplanade would be so beautiful, nearly magical even. There's plenty of room for a 3rd gate entrance on the South side of the Esplanade. Things could be shuffled around. The tram drop-off could be shifted, the small cast costuming buildings could be moved.

Here's the problem: The 3rd Disney Resort park will likely occupy the Toy Story parking lot, probably too far away.

Question:
    Anything other than a unified Esplanade, containing all 3 gate entrances seems unacceptable. So how can we realistically have the 3rd gate entrance at the south side of the Esplanade, while the actual park is in Toy Story lot?

- Underground people mover?
    - High capacity monorail?
    - Diagonal elevated walkway crossing Katella and South Harbor Bl, going South West?
    - something else?

Here's wikimapia for reference:
    Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

• Banned User

Re: 3 gates, 3 entrances, all join at the Esplanade?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    Disneyland and California adventure meet at the Esplanade in such a beautiful, synergistic way that the sum of the two resorts is greater than the individual parts. Even those ambivalent about Disney Resort marvel at the beauty and efficiency of the Esplanade design.

Having all 3 parks meet at the Esplanade would be so beautiful, nearly magical even. There's plenty of room for a 3rd gate entrance on the South side of the Esplanade. Things could be shuffled around. The tram drop-off could be shifted, the small cast costuming buildings could be moved.

Here's the problem: The 3rd Disney Resort park will likely occupy the Toy Story parking lot, probably too far away.

Question:
    Anything other than a unified Esplanade, containing all 3 gate entrances seems unacceptable. So how can we realistically have the 3rd gate entrance at the south side of the Esplanade, while the actual park is in Toy Story lot?

- Underground people mover?
    - High capacity monorail?
    - Diagonal elevated walkway crossing Katella and South Harbor Bl, going South West?
    - something else?

Here's wikimapia for reference:
    Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
    Disney's 3rd gate would get foot traffic from the motels on Harbor, that's for sure, but, yes, there are a lot of guests, mostly those at the Grand Californian and park hoppers who would need transportation over to the 3rd gate. Since the guests at the Disneyland Hotel won't want to disembark in the esplanade, (but take a separate tram to the 3rd Gate), they'll probably just expand the tram line, especially since there will almost certainly be a tram/transportation from the Disneyland Hotel/Parking garage to the third gate.

The trams won't want to go on the major roadways, obviously, so they'll likely ask to build a special tram underpass/overpass. If Disney owned the GardenWalk, this would be a lot easier.

In a perfect world, there would be a high capacity People Mover to the third gate, I don't think any monorail would ever be high-capacity enough to service the amount of foot traffic that a 3rd Gate would get from the esplanade.

• Singing Drinker

I don't think there'd be a lot of issue with not having the gate access from the central esplanade. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't there significant real estate between a few of the FL gates?

People would get off the freeway, drive to wherever they're going and go *shrug*. It might make parkhopping problematic, but we're Southern Californians here. We're famed for getting in the car to go next door
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

There's significant real estate between the FL gates. I don't think there's enough room for a park there. They could always build some type of transportation system to the third gate.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Loves Disney

I don't see why the couldn't use buses like they do now from Disneyland to the toy story lot but instead it would be the 3rd gate park

A single Esplanade for all three parks would be exactly what Walt would have wanted, in my opinion. He was always adamant about "single entrances", simplicity, and unified designs. The Esplanade is that unifying theme, more than any other single thing in the entire Disney Resort in my opinion.

With that in mind, I'm not sure hopping on some buses after entering the Esplanade to access the 3rd park (after you already rode a tram to get to the Esplanade) is a good idea. It seems ridiculous actually. Brainstorms anyone? Annex the garden walk?
    Last edited by Goatboy; 08-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.

• Singing Drinker

I'm certain they'd put *some* form of transit in between the existing parks and any satellite location park. At the very least I'd guess there'd be a central "transit hub" from the parking areas.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Monorail Minion

I think the best solution is a giant people mover system, with service beginning at M&F, going through the Esplenade with a station, then across Harbor to the new parking structure, across Disney Way to Garden Walk (which Disney will eventually own) then across Katella to the third gate.

A second line would be added from the Esplenade, to the Grand's main entrance, to the Paradise Pier Hotel, and then to the Disneylabd hotel.

All lines would terminate at the Esplenade, but would be at a single station to make train hopping almost seamless.

Pedestrian bridges crossing Harbor, Disney Way, and Katella as well as a handicap shuttle would supplement the People Mover system,

lastly, please excuse my typos. iPhones were not designed for Internet forum armchair imagineering...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Perhaps expanding the monorail to get to the third gate? However, I know the cost of that would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I think the best solution is a giant people mover system, with service beginning at M&F, going through the Esplenade with a station, then across Harbor to the new parking structure, across Disney Way to Garden Walk (which Disney will eventually own) then across Katella to the third gate.

A second line would be added from the Esplenade, to the Grand's main entrance, to the Paradise Pier Hotel, and then to the Disneylabd hotel.

All lines would terminate at the Esplenade, but would be at a single station to make train hopping almost seamless.

Pedestrian bridges crossing Harbor, Disney Way, and Katella as well as a handicap shuttle would supplement the People Mover system,

lastly, please excuse my typos. iPhones were not designed for Internet forum armchair imagineering...

Your solution would certainly eliminate the multiple shuttle hopping, one to get to the Esplanade, then another to gate #3, not bad.

Maybe it's impossible to have a situation where you can walk from the Esplanade to gate 3, like you can with Disneyland and DCA preferably using foot power only (fast moving sidewalks feasible?) I'd like to give the impression of having 3 parks, all "feeling" geographically adjacent, all easily accessed from the Esplanade.

Maybe a 3rd gate front entrance starting at the South end of the Esplanade, then a tunnel going underground (or over) South Harbor Blvd -- of course then you're only at Pumba parking lot ...
    Last edited by Goatboy; 08-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.

• Closed Account

The biggest thing about a third gate, is if they put it where the Toy Story Parking Lot is, and there is an effort required to get there...bus, tram, etc. There would be no reason for the average park goer to get there. It is doubtful they would create a "full day park" so why make the effort of a second tram, bus, train, monorail, or whatever to get there if you can't just walk? The great thing about DCA and Disneyland is that when you want to do just one or two things at DCA you have that option. With a third park, it wouldn't be possible if it was way down at the other end.

1. Extending monorail.
    2. Extending Red Car Trolley.
    3. New people mover.

The key would be to buy Gardenwalk to transit some of these through instead of just sending them all down the boulevard.

• Singing Drinker

All of these have been on the table for Disney for about seven decades now.

The only method that has *ever* made it beyond dream stage is local shuttle bus service to distant lots.

Any of the other methods - monorail, peoplemover, tunnels etc. would require hundreds of millions of dollars in property purchase before Disney could even begin to break ground. Would require Disney to convince an increasingly restive city council to let them install a potential safety risk over or under city streets and other private properties. Would require every business in the area with the money and inclination to NOT sue to delay something that would divert potentially thousands of customers daily from walking by their stores.

It IS possible that they would do something like that. But for nearly sixty years Disney's gone the route of least resistance - I can't see anything beyond shuttle bus and foot service. When you see Disney purchasing property or obtaining easement rights from property owners between them and wherever a third gate is, you'll have a better shot at something like that being done.

I just can't see Disney looking at the FL complex with the distant gates and saying that CA MUST go in another direction. There was a point where the will and the circumstances made the Monorail crossing West a reality, but those times and those circumstances are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    The biggest thing about a third gate, is if they put it where the Toy Story Parking Lot is, and there is an effort required to get there...bus, tram, etc. There would be no reason for the average park goer to get there. It is doubtful they would create a "full day park" so why make the effort of a second tram, bus, train, monorail, or whatever to get there if you can't just walk? The great thing about DCA and Disneyland is that when you want to do just one or two things at DCA you have that option. With a third park, it wouldn't be possible if it was way down at the other end.
    My sentiments exactly,

To create the "feeling" that the 3rd gate begins at the Esplanade, the attractions would need to begin no further South and West than where Denny's and the Best Western is currently, right past South Harbor Blvd, and just north of Pumba. Some 3rd gate "main street" thing could occupy the distance from the Esplanade to the start of the attraction.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    My sentiments exactly,

To create the "feeling" that the 3rd gate begins at the Esplanade, the attractions would need to begin no further South and West than where Denny's and the Best Western is currently, right past South Harbor Blvd, and just north of Pumba. Some 3rd gate "main street" thing could occupy the distance from the Esplanade to the start of the attraction.
    My apologies - I assumed you were working within the current realities of the property situation.

If all things were equal and money/property rights were no object, I'd buy the entire block across harbor and do the park there. From that point, you'd be looking at either submerging Harbor under the freeway or elevating it over the park - for safety's sake let's say do what they did for DTD. At that point you'd have the ability to have a third park contiguous with the other two and no need to demolish what already exists for Disney. Monorail connection would be the most likely "Disney" style transit at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast