Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Althought autopia is no longer future and has no connection to tommorowland in theme, it is extremely valuable to little kids. When I was young looking forward to driving a car was huge. They should have kept Fantasyland autopia and got rid of tommorowland autopia.
    Agree. The Autopia is so iconic, and popular, it has a fast pass too. But I think it does need an upgrade. Hong Kong has an electric version of the Autopia, the only reason Disney kept the gas guzzlers is the sponsorship with Chevron. Now that that is gone, I think it is time to upgrade the Autopia to an electric version, perhaps with new ride effects and a whole new theme. The attraction has a high hourly ride capacity as it loads a lot of guests at once.

Yeah, it is "just a go-cart" ride, but you've got the view of the Matterhorn, great landscaping . . . so much could be done to plus this attraction . . .

• Sock Puppet

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

I agree. It's high time to redo that whole area. The Subs, Autopia, Motor boat lagoon, skyway building, and Innoventions are taking up way too much space.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tomorrow View Post
    I agree. It's high time to redo that whole area. The Subs, Autopia, Motor boat lagoon, skyway building, and Innoventions are taking up way too much space.
    So basically level the park and rebuild it? EVERYTHING takes up space.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    So basically level the park and rebuild it? EVERYTHING takes up space.
    No just the Tomorrowland part

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Subs = Voyage to Naboo

Autopia = Land Speeder
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

+1

As much as I loved Autopia as a kid, I really don't care for it anymore. Motor Boat lagoon is exactly that: a huge pond. Skyway station has been taking up valuable real estate for almost 20 years now. I haven't cared about Innoventions since they took out America Sings.

This is about a third of the park that can be repurposed into a new land or quite a few large attractions.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

With Finding Dory coming out soon I have no idea how anyone can logically assume they would take out the subs

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    With Finding Dory coming out soon I have no idea how anyone can logically assume they would take out the subs
    Movie looming does not guarantee attraction survival - ask the Country Bears on that front.

I do agree overall, but see the combination of Lassiter on board and the massive money being spent recently on the redo as the reasons.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

The subs are still a big, old-fashioned "Disney"-type ride that will never exist anywhere else. Even if you don't enjoy riding it the lagoon is pretty -- the cleanest body of water at Disneyland. Seeing it replaced by a big show building will not, in my opinion, be an improvement.

It's also so much land that any redevelopment would take a Cars Land-sized budget (or more, probably much more) to develop and that's nowhere close to materializing.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    It's also so much land that any redevelopment would take a Cars Land-sized budget (or more, probably much more) to develop and that's nowhere close to materializing.
    Definitely agreed on that. Carsland started more or less with a few structures in DCA that were lightly modified and a parking lot. Replacing the subs would close down the Monorail, Autopia and potentially even the Matterhorn and Tomorrowland Terrace - further if the more extreme rumors of water leakage from the Lagoon causing issues are remotely true. If they completely close Tomorrowland and shut off all access to the Matterhorn pathway and potentially even close the three e-tickets involved? Maybe. But seriously, does ANYONE see them doing that for the multiple years construction would take?

• Minion

Just because one may have 'outgrown' the Subs and Autopia doesn't mean they aren't worth keeping. Children still love both rides and kids will continue to love to 'drive the cars' and 'find Nemo' for as long as there are kids. Update the cars themselves? Sure. Change Nemo to another theme? Why not (the Little Mermaid idea would be wonderful, it's my 2nd favorite Disney movie after Beauty & the Beast). But get rid of them forever because 'we' may have outgrown them and want a new attraction that appeals to 'us'? Never.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Why not (the Little Mermaid idea would be wonderful, it's my 2nd favorite Disney movie after Beauty & the Beast). .
    The Little Mermaid doesn't need another ride at DLR. It already has one at DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Just because one may have 'outgrown' the Subs and Autopia doesn't mean they aren't worth keeping. Children still love both rides and kids will continue to love to 'drive the cars' and 'find Nemo' for as long as there are kids. Update the cars themselves? Sure. Change Nemo to another theme? Why not (the Little Mermaid idea would be wonderful, it's my 2nd favorite Disney movie after Beauty & the Beast). But get rid of them forever because 'we' may have outgrown them and want a new attraction that appeals to 'us'? Never.
    So, rather than start from scrath with a whole new attraction you would rather they do another re-dress of the subs? Changing it to a Little Mermaid themed ride would be pretty much the same thing as starting over. The only similarity is that it would still be in the water and they would still use the same horrid capacity subs. I don't see how this is a better solution.

Regarding Autopia, I think it's fair to say that society as a whole has "outgrown" it. They use the same gas guzzling, smog producing vehicles that "drive" on the same type of road surface that we do in a real car. How is this even remotely "Tomorrow"?

The main reason that I even support leveling everything is simply because of the fact that all of these attractions are stacked on top of each other. If you take out one the rest have to follow. Even doing something with the empty Motor Boat Cruise area would require a lot of demolition. Otherwise we will be stuck with another boat cruise type ride. True, that would still be better (to most people) than nothing, but why keep repeating the same things over and over?
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Alice has two attractions.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Agree here completely. It's been mentioned multiple times on this site that the subs are a slow load low capacity ride. The lines are always long becuase of that. Autopia isn't a high capcity ride as well. These two attractions are iconic but the time has come to reclaim the area they take up. I am not against a redo of them as I am sure they can be re-made more efficiently than they are now and also carry a smaller footprint. If you look at the innovnetions/sub/autopia area it could be redesigned to be way more efficient. It just takes the right kind of imagineer to do it as well as time and money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast