Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Alice has two attractions.
    The difference with that is that it is a dark ride and flat ride that provide completely different experiences. Putting the LM in the subs would likely show the same scenes like Under the Sea and Ursula's Lair, which we can see in the LM ride at DCA.

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    So, rather than start from scrath with a whole new attraction you would rather they do another re-dress of the subs? Changing it to a Little Mermaid themed ride would be pretty much the same thing as starting over. The only similarity is that it would still be in the water and they would still use the same horrid capacity subs. I don't see how this is a better solution.

Regarding Autopia, I think it's fair to say that society as a whole has "outgrown" it. They use the same gas guzzling, smog producing vehicles that "drive" on the same type of road surface that we do in a real car. How is this even remotely "Tomorrow"?

The main reason that I even support leveling everything is simply because of the fact that all of these attractions are stacked on top of each other. If you take out one the rest have to follow. Even doing something with the empty Motor Boat Cruise area would require a lot of demolition. Otherwise we will be stuck with another boat cruise type ride. True, that would still be better (to most people) than nothing, but why keep repeating the same things over and over?
    I'm just saying that Autopia is still an attraction that kids love. I did say 'update the cars themselves', so maybe to something more energy efficient/hybrid, even futuristic looking. Kids love to drive cars, they always will because it's a 'grown up' thing to do. I loved Autopia in the early '60s, my kids loved it in the late '80s, early '90s. My great-niece loved it in 2010. That's 3 generations. I don't think that 'society' has outgrown Autopia, per se, just that kids grow into adults who don't find it appealing. But that's not to say that kids don't & won't always love the idea of getting behind the wheel.

As far as the subs, LM would just be to MY particular taste, not that I necessarily think Disney should do it. I can think a lot of things I'd love that Disney would never do. I'd actually like to see 20K leagues theming or even a return to the 'classic' subs. Or if it must be Tomorrowland themed, maybe views of an undersea community of tomorrow.

I'm just saying that I think both rides are worth keeping.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Singing Drinker

And honestly, regarding whether or not Autopia fits "Tomorrow"... just because driving a car is not YOUR future doesn't mean it's not part of the four year old sitting behind the wheel's future.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    And honestly, regarding whether or not Autopia fits "Tomorrow"... just because driving a car is not YOUR future doesn't mean it's not part of the four year old sitting behind the wheel's future.
    That's certainly one way of looking at it, I'll give you that.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Chief Troublemaker

. Very true!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Autopia and driving is the future, to the little kids who go on it.
    Mike

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1 View Post
    That's honestly what got me started thinking on that.

Autopia used to be an absolute "must ride" for me growing up. I hazily remember early Tomorrowland with Innerspace, Circlevision, Peoplemover and such and the thing that repeatedly sticks out from early childhood as "Tomorrow" is the Autopia. It represented a tangible ACTUAL tomorrow I could be reassured actually existed and would reach. To a degree I think it grounded my still-forming perceptions to accept the rest of the area - "hey, I *KNOW* I'm gonna drive one of these things. Maybe Mission to Mars is right too?"
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1 View Post
    That's true and we are moving towards hybrid cars and electric which is why it should at least be updated to reflect a more realistic tormorrow. Having it sit the way it is now is stale they could do a lot with the attraction to include newer technologies.

• I'm a Lutheran

Ooh! Here's an idea!

http://static.wallarc.com/519feb77daa2f48659.jpg

I'm totally kidding.

I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Autopia, but it's true, the kids eat it up like candy. Some of my early memories of Disneyland including driving my own Autopia car and that, my friends, is truly magical. Sure, the attraction does lose its magic once you get a real driver's license of your own, but nonetheless, it's still a bit heartwarming seeing the smiling faces of kids and their parents drive along the bumpy road.

It does need a major rehab though. Seriously. The landscape, cars, loading area, and just about everything about it could use some help. I'd personally prefer some more complex scenery, but that might distract riders and cause them to stop, thus creating even more traffic than there is now. A creepy memory of Autopia was slamming the brakes, thinking I had rolled off the track and into the mud. As it turns out, the track just looked crummy haha.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Dory will probably fuel it along.
    Last edited by C-HOX; 08-15-2013 at 05:03 AM.

• Banned User

Movie looming does not guarantee attraction survival - ask the Country Bears on that front.

I do agree overall, but see the combination of Lassiter on board and the massive money being spent recently on the redo as the reasons.
    Country Bears global box office: $18 million dollar
    Country Bears production budget: $35 million

Finding Nemo global box office: $921 million dollars
    Find Nemo production budget: $94 million

All of this doesn't include Nemo merchandise. Nemo 2 is expected to be a blockbuster. Maybe it makes the company $500 to $700 million net profits from the box office and DVD sales, and maybe $200 million in merchandise in the five years after it opens.

• Singing Drinker

I'm not saying past success in the franchise doesn't weigh in - just that the simple fact that there's an impending movie to be released isn't apparently the deciding factor in the decision.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Even doing something with the empty Motor Boat Cruise area would require a lot of demolition. Otherwise we will be stuck with another boat cruise type ride. True, that would still be better (to most people) than nothing, but why keep repeating the same things over and over?
    There aren't any motor boat canals left, they were filled in, there is just a small pond near the old motorboat dock, but I think they could still put in a decent ride, if they used the old Fantasyland Autopia load area, and a bit of the Autopia track.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-07-2013 at 02:22 PM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The difference with that is that it is a dark ride and flat ride that provide completely different experiences. Putting the LM in the subs would likely show the same scenes like Under the Sea and Ursula's Lair, which we can see in the LM ride at DCA.
    Fair enough.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Agree here completely. It's been mentioned multiple times on this site that the subs are a slow load low capacity ride. The lines are always long becuase of that. Autopia isn't a high capcity ride as well. These two attractions are iconic but the time has come to reclaim the area they take up. I am not against a redo of them as I am sure they can be re-made more efficiently than they are now and also carry a smaller footprint. If you look at the innovnetions/sub/autopia area it could be redesigned to be way more efficient. It just takes the right kind of imagineer to do it as well as time and money.
    Ah, the observed hourly ride capacity for Autopia is about 1,800 per hour. From Daveland, the Subs ride capacity:

The record one day patronage for the Submarine Voyage, according to Ted Crowell, is 16,502 and the theoretical capacity in a 16 hour day is 18,240 happy guests. Everyone who has seen the "new" voyage agrees you ain't seen nothing yet and that patronage records are made to be broken.

They added on two seats, so that will increase capacity a bit. 16,000 is a lot of guests, that works out to about 1,000 guests per hour, for a 16 hour day, and maybe the two extra seats adds on another 30 guests per hour.

Autopia plus Subs is about 2,800 guests per hour . . .
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast