Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dhs:ca?

• Singing Drinker

Dhs:ca?

Third Gate. Of COURSE that's what this is about.

A lot of angst and speculation is floating about regarding the rumors of Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar and any number of other franchises popping up in California.

A lot of that almost immediately earths into "It'd be OK in a third gate".

So here we go:

Disney Hollywood Studios, California

1. Where would you put it?
    2. Lands or "studio with mini-lands" (aka where USH is heading)?
    3. What do you want in it, and where?

Disclaimer: This topic is 100% pure speculation and not intended to be taken as a measure of inside knowledge, educated guesses or even common sense.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Big Hockey Fan

Re: Dhs:ca?

There is already a Hollywood Land in DCA

• Former Churro Jockey

DCA is already a lot like DHS. I've long been an advocate of rebranding DCA as DHS, and then they could easily add a Star Wars Land, a Marvel Land, Monstropolis, and even Avatar Land if they wanted and it would all fit the theme. Not that I want a Marvel Land or an Avatar Land, but rebranding it to DHS would give them far more options then keeping it as DCA.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

The trouble with just using DCA and calling it done... there's already a park there. You run into the "retheme or raze" argument, and you'd lose MANY attractions that people now love, or at the very least would have to clumsily retheme in order to wedge them all in. Which land disappears to put in Avatarland (*shudder*)? Bug's Land? Bit small for anything other than what it is now. Do you get rid of Paradise Pier in favor of Star Warsland? What the heck do you do with the Sun Wheel and Screamin'?

With the amount of properties people want to stick in a putative "other" park - be it DCA from Disneyland fans or vice versa - DCA would need to be razed and rebuilt from scratch.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

That's definitely true. They might be able to use the parking lot on the corner of Disneyland Dr and Katella and just create either an overpass a la Downtown Disney, or an underground walkway, but then you lose that parking and Disney needs every single parking space they can get.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Given that DCA is already a lot like DHS, and the fact that I can't stand clones, I'm not for this idea.

I've heard Iger is very much interested in the third gate being Marvel-related, which is why Iron Man is no longer being considered for Tomorrowland.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Given that DCA is already a lot like DHS, and the fact that I can't stand clones, I'm not for this idea.

I've heard Iger is very much interested in the third gate being Marvel-related, which is why Iron Man is no longer being considered for Tomorrowland.
    There's a certain irony to that - Marvel Island already exists at IOA. Disney would be cloning a preexisting entertainment concept that they just happen to have purchased the rights to.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Why would you assume a Marvel Park would be a clone of Marvel Island at IOA? I don't think it'd be anything close to it. In fact Disney would be hard pressed to top Spiderman at this point.

DCA should have been renamed DHS after the remake.

Honestly the only ride that currently exists that couldn't receive some sort of movie tie-in would be Soarin'.

There are only a handful of rides that don't have any tie in to a TV show or movie and those are CA Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Soarin' and Golden Zephyr. All others have at least a loose connection with a TV Show or Movie.

As for the others:
    Screamin': Long rumored Villains re-do
    Grizzly: DisneyNature re-do
    Zephyr: Rocketeer anybody?

So Soarin' would stick out but I don't really think that would be that big of a deal. I really don't get why they didn't just re-name the park.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Why would you assume a Marvel Park would be a clone of Marvel Island at IOA? I don't think it'd be anything close to it. In fact Disney would be hard pressed to top Spiderman at this point.

DCA should have been renamed DHS after the remake.

Honestly the only ride that currently exists that couldn't receive some sort of movie tie-in would be Soarin'.

There are only a handful of rides that don't have any tie in to a TV show or movie and those are CA Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Soarin' and Golden Zephyr. All others have at least a loose connection with a TV Show or Movie.

As for the others:
    Screamin': Long rumored Villains re-do
    Grizzly: DisneyNature re-do
    Zephyr: Rocketeer anybody?

So Soarin' would stick out but I don't really think that would be that big of a deal. I really don't get why they didn't just re-name the park.
    I've always figured there were enough Important People with reputations attached to the project - and then a new batch attached to the now successful rebuild - that they wanted to keep the DCA name around to prove it wasn't a failure / prove they could fix a failure depending on whomever it was you're hearing from.

On a larger scale I think they may have felt (probably correctly) that they'd moved fast enough to prevent the DCA brand from turning toxic. With *us* it had become a fairly tarnished name, but I don't think nationally it'd gone irretrievably sour, and I'm fairly convinced it was part of why the rebuild was as aggressive as it was.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There's a certain irony to that - Marvel Island already exists at IOA. Disney would be cloning a preexisting entertainment concept that they just happen to have purchased the rights to.
    IOA is in another state, across the country. Not to mention the potential Marvel gate would most likely not resemble IOA. What would it matter?

• Future Imagineer

Actually, it doesn't HAVE to be a studios park. There talks about the 3rd gate being themed to Adventure and Heros (which SW and Marvel can still fit in the theme of)

If it were to be a studios park why not a Walt Disney Studios park, like Paris but without anything connecting it to a backlot theme. The theme could be entering the worlds of Hollywood and movies. Potential lands could include:
    - Walt Disney Boulevard (an altered version of the Disney Studios to look highly detailed).
    - Lucasfilm Studios (with a major emphasis on Star Wars and Indiana Jones)
    - Marvel Studios (with attractions for each big franchise like Xmen, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Avengers, and more)
    - Pixar Studios (Bugs land in DCA will be demolished. Would have areas based off of: The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, Monsters University, Finding Nemo (timed for when the subs are removed), Cars 2, and the Toy Story series)
    - Muppet Studios (obviously)
    - Music Studios (a tribute to musical movies and shows)
    - Toon Studios (a Toontown version of Hollywood, featuring Roger Rabbit and Mickey and Friends, including Oswald)

And more...

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    IOA is in another state, across the country. What would it matter?
    I may have misunderstood you. Why would DHS in California bother you then?

*edit*

A good part of this post is in reaction to the fanbase push for any new IP-related property to be put in a separate third park - Monstropolis, StarWars Land, etc.

Presumably this would stop the DHSing of DCA and allow the park to continue developing as it's own separate identity.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I may have misunderstood you. Why would DHS in California bother you then?

*edit*

A good part of this post is in reaction to the fanbase push for any new IP-related property to be put in a separate third park - Monstropolis, StarWars Land, etc.

Presumably this would stop the DHSing of DCA and allow the park to continue developing as it's own separate identity.
    DHS is a Disney park. IOA is a Universal park and the only thing that would be the same would be the theme. The take on Marvel would be completely different, unlike a DHS in California.

I just don't see the point of making the third park DHS, since DCA not only resembles that park (looks-wise), but has some of the same attractions as well.

• Singing Drinker

The DCA attractions mostly aren't presented in the studio format, and it'd be absolute folly to think for even a second that Disney would open multiple copies of the same e-ticket at separate parks within a mile of each other. I don't think even the most risk-averse craven costcutter would seriously suggest that.

Suggesting DHS as a theme for the park does not lock the park into being an exact copy - but given the IP based properties that keep being being floated - and it'd be hard to argue that they're not the dominant form of Disney development right now - it'd be a much better fit to call it all a "studio" or "movie" park. DCA's got a few movie-based rides right now, but the themes outside of Hollywood area would all have to be radically redone to fit a studio style park - in other words, likely another complete billion dollar refurb of a park that's already had one.

It's why I'd expect it to go in it's own park.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DaHatTrick View Post
    There is already a Hollywood Land in DCA

There is already a Hollywood 35 miles north from the DLR...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast