Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is there free wifi in Disneyland and DCA now?

Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady19 View Post
    Here's one situation I would like to avoid: standing behind someone that is using their tablet as their camera by holding it high up in the air. That happened to me at the fireworks a few weeks ago in DL -- I had to move, and then all my photos had the light fixture/American flag in them. If I hadn't moved, I'd have had a big rectangle shadowed in my photos. I'm not sure which was worse, but MY camera was right in my face, not held high to annoy someone else behind me.
    At a recent David Byrne concert he made an unusual preshow announcement: the audience was allowed to record the show, but was encouraged to enjoy the show (the experience is much better when no viewed through a phone screen). He also specifically requested iPads not be used, since they block the view of others in the audience.
    i don't have a recording of exactly what he said, since I was living in real time (not recording).

Back on topic:
    Disney needs WiFi to support Fastpass+

Angry Re: Is there free wifi in Disneyland and DCA now?

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I would be fine if Disney pulled an AMC* and had a signal dampener over the park with only landline useage within. But that will never happen in our modern age of convienence.

*Some of the AMC theatres around here do this to prevent interruptions via cell phones and other wi-fi enabled devices in the theatre area.
    I would have a problem with this becouse i use my phone to keep track of my family and at amc would upset me becouse many times my wife and i go to the movie as a date and with a 4 and 5 year old i like to be able to know if something happens

Welcome to the "jacked-in" generation. Soon, we'll have google glass and then.. perhaps we'll all just be jacked into the matrix via head ports. The jacked-in generation doesn't care that they're ruining your experience with their gadgets (unless it's yours ruining theirs) because it's all about the "Me, now."
    Personally, I would be fine if Disney pulled an AMC* and had a signal dampener over the park with only landline useage within. But that will never happen in our modern age of convienence.

*Some of the AMC theatres around here do this to prevent interruptions via cell phones and other wi-fi enabled devices in the theatre area.
    Not really, a lot of us use our devices to keep track of others in our party. I go to the park with a large group, usually 8-10 other people. So, it's nice to be able to track each other down when we all wanna meet back up after having gone seperate ways for whatever reason.

Wanting no one to use their devices is kind of selfish, or "all about me", like you're saying those of us who use them are being...

Yeah, well, if people weren't jerks about it, then nobody would care what devices anybody used. It's like smoking- if smokers were all polite about it, there would be many fewer laws about when and where you can smoke.

I find the i-pads to be particularly egregious violators: holding 'em high, filming the show, and destroying the view for anybody unfortunate enough to be behind you. And they're *big* - they block a lot of space.

I take a lot of stills during shows, like Fantasmic or Aladdin, but I keep the camera low so I don't block anybody's view.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Evil is Sexy

*shrugs* I just remember going to the parks in large groups before cellular phones were pocket sized and afforable. If people wanted to do different things we just gave ourselves meet-up areas and time tables.

Going on a date with your spouse and leaving kids with a sitter? You made sure the sitter had the number for the places you were going to be at and other emergency contacts, just in case. It's much more convienent with modern technology to be connected. Even I enjoy having my phone on me at the parks, on silent, just in case. However, we survived just fine before the computer age.

I'm a bit of an "old-timer" when it comes to many things. Use of tech being one. Sure, I can build my own computers, have a FB and Twitter account, browse forums and webpages, but I also really like unplugging - reading a book, going to Yellowstone and camping under the stars, talking to my next door neighbors when we meet while walking the dogs or even chatting it up with other folks while standing in lines.

Do I wish people would unplug themselves in certain places to enjoy and appreciate the things around them more? I sure do. Do I think it's going to happen? Nope. Human nature just won't allow it.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I like to be unplugged every now and then. I also don't do email and facebook and twitter and all that on my phone.

I will admit I used the wi-fi at lunch on Wednesday. Then again, if I'd had dining companions, I doubt I would have done so. And there was nobody who cared if I did use my Nook and do a bit of surfing. Nobody was near enough to be disturbed by the light from my screen, the sound is turned off, that kind of thing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Coming from Canada, land of the extremely expensive roaming and data plans, I can't wait for free WIFI. It worked great for us at WDW this Fall.

is this available on the app yet?

Personally, I would be fine if Disney pulled an AMC* and had a signal dampener over the park with only landline useage within. But that will never happen in our modern age of convienence.*Some of the AMC theatres around here do this to prevent interruptions via cell phones and other wi-fi enabled devices in the theatre area.
    Cell phone jammers are illegal. From the FCC:
    Unless you are an authorized federal government user, you may not operate a jammer in the U.S., even on private property. This means that it is illegal to use a jammer on mass transit (e.g., train, bus) or in a residence, vehicle, school, theater, restaurant or in any other public or private place.
    Plus in April of this year the FCC fined two business for blocking cell signals. One for $144,000 and the other $126,000, for using and even for possessing a cell phone jammer. So there is no way for Disney to block cellular signals in the park.
    http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-issues-two-forfeiture-notices-for-cell-phone-jamming

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Coming from Canada, land of the extremely expensive roaming and data plans, I can't wait for free WIFI. It worked great for us at WDW this Fall.
    Same here. I'm from the UK and it was so nice to be able to send e-mails and even share images and live updates from Walt Disney World to my Facebook and Twitter accounts. It was also useful for wait times and making online dining reservations at short notice.

How about blocking cell phone use while on a ride? The signal doesn't have to be jammed, just blocked. Some grounded metal screening in the walls will do that.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Being from the technology-based generation, I do admit a lot of people do use their phones and rely on wifi very much these days. But I don't think that just because someone is using their phone, they aren't "taking in" the experience. I use my phone for communicating and taking pictures, and I do rely on wifi to share those pictures while at the park. Also to just check up on things while I'm away.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Has Disney announced that it's going to be free? I can't imagine them doing that because the cost to have good enough wifi for 65K people to be logged on all at once would be mind-boggling. I was assuming that they were going to do it like the cruise, where you pay a pretty high fee to use it and buy minute packages.
    WDW Has been offering free wifi in all 4 parks & all the resorts for over a year now and recently added most of Downtown Disney to that list. If they can offer it for free at a place as large as WDW, Disneyland/DCA will be a piece of cake!

My biggest problem is when someone is using in to watch or take pictures in a dark setting. We went on Nemo a couple of weeks ago and the lady behind us had her tablet on the WHOLE time to take pictures out the windows. It lit up the entire cabin of the sub, even when it was a black screen. I've had other similar experiences, but this was the worst.

•   
    • Minion

I tend to like to be unplugged when I'm at Disneyland - I usually don't answer my phone (and I sometimes turn it to Airplane Mode so nobody can reach me - I leave it on because it is my clock) and I only check email/etc. when I'm at dinner (since I'm usually at the parks alone). If I'm there with friends I don't even do that because I think it's kind of rude to be on the phone/iPad instead of interacting with your companions (personal opinion; not condemning anyone who feels differently). I figure that Facebook will still be there at the end of the night; those moments with my friends won't be.

Having said that, I would love Wi-Fi at the park. I do use my phone when I'm at lunch/dinner, and before I leave the park for the night I need it to check my bus departure times (Metro has a GPS widget that tells you when the next bus will arrive). Sometimes it's hard to get the Internet to work well in the park, so Wi-Fi would be welcomed.

I do want to echo the complaints about being behind someone who is holding up an iPad (or even a phone) for a long period of time during shows, right in front of you on a ride, etc. It's so distracting.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast