Hopper upgrade to AP questions?

Aplogize in advance- tried to search for some answers, but there appears to be some conflicting responses out there.

Staying 3 nights at DL hotel Aug 28-31, have already purchased 4-day hoppers for our stay (wife + 2 kids). The plan is to upgrade these to SoCal Select passports, on the last day of our trip- as it is a Saturday, otherwise we'd be blacked out if we upgraded the hopper any earlier. Questions:

(1) Does DL keep old passport photos on their system, or not? I've heard it both ways. We all had passports that expired about 2 1/2 years ago- does this mean we can avoid having to flag down a PhotoPass person- or will we have to take new passport photos?

(2) As I understand it, the old AP processing center is closed, and everything must be done at the outside ticket booths. But what time do the ticket booths open? As DL hotel guests, we will be using our Magic Mornings- and it's recommended to be at the gates 30 mins before MM open (or, 90 mins before regular park open). But will the outside ticket booths be open that early? If not, I know my kids wouldn't be too excited about "wasting" their MM opportunity, standing in line at the ticket booth doing AP paperwork :-)

(3) Would I be able to take our passport photos (w/ a PhotoPass helper) BEFORE I upgrade the hopper to an AP? I'm guessing the answer here is no- but I'm not sure. It would be great if we could take care of this sometime before our Saturday- then I wouldn't have to do the upgrade at the ticket booths first thing in the AM, when I presume there are lines- I'd be able to do it anytime during the day.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Re: Hopper upgrade to AP questions?

I can only help with the first question. I had an annual pass 3 years ago. When I got my new one in February this year, they still had my old photo in their system and I didn't have to take a new one.

Hope some other people can answer your other questions!

The above poster is correct about the pictures. As for the Magic Morning issue, I would suggest to upgrade later in the day instead of the morning. Utilize your Magic Morning opportunity and upgrade at the outside ticketing booths at a busier time in the parks.

• #bringevilback

I'll echo upgrading later in the day after you've taken advantage of your EMH since it doesn't matter when during the day you upgrade. The only advantage to upgrading early is using it for discounts, so maybe try right before lunch, and save any merchandise purchases for the last day.

I'm not sure about the picture, but if they don't still have your old one, you probably will have to wait until after you upgrade, but that's just a guess...

I'm wondering how old your kids are though, for the photos...an adult might be able to use a 2.5 year old photo, but if one of your kids was 2 then and is 5 now that could present issues with their photo not looking like them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I'm wondering how old your kids are though, for the photos...an adult might be able to use a 2.5 year old photo, but if one of your kids was 2 then and is 5 now that could present issues with their photo not looking like them anymore.
    That is my main concern- and if they make me take new photos, I'm assuming that I can't take photos until I've actually done the upgrade. So if that's the case, then either (1) I'd have to miss some of our Magic Morning dealing w/ this at the ticket booth prior to entering (depending on when ticket booths open), or (2) exit the parks at some point during the day, do the upgrade, then go back in to take the photos- which would also be a bit of a hassle, but doable.

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by hombre14 View Post
    Aplogize in advance- tried to search for some answers, but there appears to be some conflicting responses out there.

Staying 3 nights at DL hotel Aug 28-31, have already purchased 4-day hoppers for our stay (wife + 2 kids). The plan is to upgrade these to SoCal Select passports, on the last day of our trip- as it is a Saturday, otherwise we'd be blacked out if we upgraded the hopper any earlier. Questions:

(1) Does DL keep old passport photos on their system, or not? I've heard it both ways. We all had passports that expired about 2 1/2 years ago- does this mean we can avoid having to flag down a PhotoPass person- or will we have to take new passport photos? This has already been correctly addressed.

(2) As I understand it, the old AP processing center is closed, and everything must be done at the outside ticket booths. But what time do the ticket booths open? As DL hotel guests, we will be using our Magic Mornings- and it's recommended to be at the gates 30 mins before MM open (or, 90 mins before regular park open). But will the outside ticket booths be open that early? If not, I know my kids wouldn't be too excited about "wasting" their MM opportunity, standing in line at the ticket booth doing AP paperwork :-) The ticket booths will be open one hour prior to opening. You are best served to enter the park, and return to the ticket window later on in the day to upgrade. There will not be much of a wait then.

(3) Would I be able to take our passport photos (w/ a PhotoPass helper) BEFORE I upgrade the hopper to an AP? I'm guessing the answer here is no- but I'm not sure. It would be great if we could take care of this sometime before our Saturday- then I wouldn't have to do the upgrade at the ticket booths first thing in the AM, when I presume there are lines- I'd be able to do it anytime during the day. This will not work because they need the barcode on the AP to tie it to the photo. If they were able to take the photo before you receoved the AP, how whould they know what AP the photo goes to?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
    Since you are staying at the DLH, you do not have to worry about the one Magic Morning tied to your ticket because you will have EMH as a hotel guest.
    I see one problen with your plan though...Saturday the 31st is a blockout day for the SCS AP. You will not be able to get in that day unless you purchase the blockout ticket. I think you are confusing when an AP is activated on a blockout day (meaning that is the first day of use in the parks), you can get in on a blockout day. When you upgrade a ticket to an AP, the effective date is retro to the first day you used the multiday ticket. You do not get entrance on a blockout day in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    Since you are staying at the DLH, you do not have to worry about the one Magic Morning tied to your ticket because you will have EMH as a hotel guest.
    I see one problen with your plan though...Saturday the 31st is a blockout day for the SCS AP. You will not be able to get in that day unless you purchase the blockout ticket. I think you are confusing when an AP is activated on a blockout day (meaning that is the first day of use in the parks), you can get in on a blockout day. When you upgrade a ticket to an AP, the effective date is retro to the first day you used the multiday ticket. You do not get entrance on a blockout day in this instance.
    Incorrect.

They will allow you in on a blockout day:

1. Purchasing/first use of a new AP.

2. Renewing an AP in person.

3. Upgrading an AP to the next tier.

4. Upgrading a valid used/new ticket to an AP.
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 08-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Incorrect.

They will allow you in on a blockout day:

1. Purchasing/first use of a new AP.

2. Renewing an AP in person.

3. Upgrading an AP to the next tier.

4. Upgrading a valid used/new ticket to an AP.
    Hey...then I learned something today. I had no idea they made an exception for those upgrading tickets. Good to know.

Slightly related question:

We have a VERY old 2-day ticket with NO expiration. I called Disney and was told that we could use the unstamped day for admission to the park, going to any ticket booth.

Once we have an admission ticket, can we use towards an annual passport? Is that still at the bank or at the ticket booths?

The tickets are from 1990. No DCA. $41 for two days at Disneyland! We lost them, found them, moved. Moved again. Lost them, found them.

Ticket Booth

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by propita View Post
    Slightly related question:

We have a VERY old 2-day ticket with NO expiration. I called Disney and was told that we could use the unstamped day for admission to the park, going to any ticket booth.

Once we have an admission ticket, can we use towards an annual passport? Is that still at the bank or at the ticket booths?

The tickets are from 1990. No DCA. $41 for two days at Disneyland! We lost them, found them, moved. Moved again. Lost them, found them.
    Just USING the ticket for admission, go to the gate. UPGRADING the ticket, go to any ticket booth.

Quote Originally Posted by hombre14 View Post
    (1) Does DL keep old passport photos on their system, or not? I've heard it both ways. We all had passports that expired about 2 1/2 years ago- does this mean we can avoid having to flag down a PhotoPass person- or will we have to take new passport photos?
    It used to be that two years after you EXPIRATION, your old AP info would be purged from the database. If you were past two years after expiration, it was hit or miss if it would still be there.

As others have said thought, you should think about getting your picture updated. The older photos aren't as clear as the ones done by PhotoPass now.

Thanks. We're nearly 300 miles from Anaheim, but can stay with my mom in Pasadena. We're figuring on going at least once a month. Maybe more often. At least 12x/year, the AP is worth it.