Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Hatbox Ghost Animatronic featured at D23!

Guillermo del Torro was going to do a HM film, and HBG was going to be featured prominently in it. They released some concept art, and this ghost's animatronic face looks exactly like that concept art, down to the gold tooth (view the YouTube video in HD full screen to see the gold tooth):

Name:  hatbox.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  31.6 KB

Though maybe the original HBG had a gold tooth as well:

Name:  spacer.gif
Views: 570
Size:  43 BytesName:  spacer.gif
Views: 570
Size:  43 Byteshttp://www.doombuggies.com/myths2.php Some photos here.

All indications are that he is looking for a writer to work on the script, and that Disney is interested in the film:

I’m such a Disneyland fanatic. I need to get an update on what’s happening with Haunted Mansion.

Guillermo del Torro: Yeah, we are still pursuing a writer that is very hard to get. We are meeting with them. The problem is I don’t want just anyone to rewrite the screenplay. I wrote the screenplay with Mathew Robbins and I really want somebody that will bring a lot to it, but Disney is aching to make it and I’m aching to make it. If we could… If you know of anyone who can write, because I’m only going to produce it, I would love to hear.

From --- /Film Interview: Guillermo del Toro Talks ‘Pacific Rim’, ‘Haunted Mansion’ and More | /Film July 12, 2013

So, maybe an HM film is in the works!

I think they could fit a Pepper's Ghost effect in the attic scene, which I think is one of the best ways to do this trick.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

I'm hoping this is just a tease and this isn't the actual HBG that would be going into the Mansion.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Really, he’s not. He was a failed effect that was removed because it didn’t work right. It got elevated to cult status on internet forums due to the mystery of it. Personally, if the effect didn’t work I’m glad it was removed. Leaving it in would have lessened the quality of the attraction, not added to it.
    That is an excellent way of putting it. I agree that if the effect wasn't working as designed then it should have been removed. I hope that if this re-designed model isn't working correctly that they do not place it into the attraction simply to satisfy the "superfans" that have been clamoring for its return.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I hope that if this re-designed model isn't working correctly that they do not place it into the attraction simply to satisfy the "superfans" that have been clamoring for its return.
    As one of those "superfans" I agree with you completely. Superfans would be the first to cry foul if they put a non-functioning effect in the HM.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    As one of those "superfans" I agree with you completely. Superfans would be the first to cry foul if they put a non-functioning effect in the HM.
    That's my point; I don't think the average guest even knows what the Hatbox Ghost is. So if they were to place it into the attraction I don't really know what these guests would get out of it. Unless it was placed in a very prominent space I could see most of the average guests not even noticing it. My fear is that it would become just another effect in the attraction for those folks and they wouldn't appreciate it as much as the superfans. Of course, this is assuming that it is working as designed....

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• We Go On.

I think the most jarring difference (besides HBG100's possession of pants ) is his posture. This figure has his feet together, legs straight, and head lifted, whereas the original was significantly hunched over, neck craned, and legs bowed. But this is a preexisting frame, so it's to be expected. Can't very easily re-engineer the posture of a generic A-100 skeleton.

Very smart move, to put him out there.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    I think the most jarring difference (besides HBG100's possession of pants ) is his posture. This figure has his feet together, legs straight, and head lifted, whereas the original was significantly hunched over, neck craned, and legs bowed.
    I guess they hired HBG a personal trainer to get him in shape for the movie, and I heard that since Carsland is such a big success they're able to afford pants for both HBG and Donald Duck. ;-)

• No Disassemble!

It looks like he's designed to lean into the doom buggies. I wonder how close they could let him do this before guests start reaching out to steal his hat.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

The people there said that there are no plans to bring back the Hatbox ghost. I hope they are lying.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    My fear is that it would become just another effect in the attraction for those folks...
    Just curious, what other effects in the HM do you think are there just for the superfans?

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Keep in mind that this AA is in a "demo mode" of sorts. He could be hunched over if installed and programmed to do so. It appears that they are demonstrating the AA rather than what it would look like inside the mansion.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Changes to his original desing or not, is wonderfull news that they are going to add a new AA instead of going cheap and using a LCD screen or a proyector

• Larger Than (After)Life

I just received word from an insider friend that Disney IS planning on installing THIS figure into the attraction. Although its updated appearance might take a little getting used to, I think it's WONDERFUL.

Wait 'til The Haunted Mansion's 60th? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This thing is LONG-OVERDUE already. They can't plug it in fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Even without the head vanish effect, it would be GREAT. That is one SPOOKTACULAR GHOST, if I do say so myself.

I was wondering at first why the damn thing cost so much. We now see why.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Larger Than (After)Life

And, yes, the convention floor demonstrators are lying. Disney officials are lying when they say that they don't know what became of the original figure or where its remaining parts are.

Not too long ago, artists employed by Disney let it slip that they used the Hatbox Ghost figure's "original head molds" for a project they'd created. Well, how could the artists use the original molds if Disney has no idea where they are?

I smell the distinct aroma of pants on fire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast