Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Hatbox Ghost Animatronic featured at D23!

Do you think it's possible that they used that as an excuse to build a more advanced figure? or is it the opposite?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    And, yes, the convention floor demonstrators are lying. Disney officials are lying when they say that they don't know what became of the original figure or where its remaining parts are.

Not too long ago, artists employed by Disney let it slip that they used the Hatbox Ghost figure's "original head molds" for a project they'd created. Well, how could the artists use the original molds if Disney has no idea where they are?

I smell the distinct aroma of pants on fire.
    Or as I put it on another board, it's not like those guys on the floor are made out of wood.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Parking Lot > DCA

Of course no one working the floor is going to spill the beans at D23, or else they may not have a job on Monday but there sure has been a lot of hype for the HBG lately. If it does come back which would be cool, I would really like it to be as close to the original figure as possible. It all together seemed a little more eerie. Like another poster said, this could also be a tie in to the Haunted Mansion Del Toro film that has been in the talks for a while. This particular figure seems to look a lot like the version that is supposed to be the main focus of the film.

Nonetheless! If they do install any new figure, it will be cool regardless. Looking forward to see what will happen.

To Attic Haunt:

That's not what I meant. What I was saying is that I think it would be a shame if they added it to HM and it wasn't appreciated by the casual visitor that has no insight into the Hatbox Ghost's cult following.

There isn't anything I can think of in the attraction that was put there for the superfans.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Ah! I see and I agree. Pandering to a small demographic is never a good thing. The HBG should be an improvement, a "plus" if you will, to the attic scene,not a gimmick.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

This new animatronic looks different from the original. I guess I'd be happy with, if we do get HBG back, but it'd be great if they got it to look more like the original.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• hatbox ghost believer

Hopefully, they can work the kinks out & make it a reality (Although I'd prefer one closer to the original version myself). Maybe we can get the WDW version of Connie as well! Or even better, bring back the glowing-eyed beating heart bride!
    Last edited by nojarama; 08-10-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

I'm already dreaming about its return. I'm THERE the week it goes back in. It would be a perfect transition from the attic into the cemetery, and there is nothing in the attic I wouldn't miss if they ripped it out (The attic has always been missing something)

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Do you think it's possible that they used that as an excuse to build a more advanced figure? or is it the opposite?
    I asked this, and they said the A100 is actually not very useful. Yes its a model thats highly advanced but they said since so much of what they are doing is cartoon characters, the mainly body is not useful.

I wonder if they brought it back they would use a digital projection that sync with the figure as they do with RSR at DCA. They would project lighting that would void the lighting on the face in sync with the figure and then he could lunge forward with his face appearing.

Does it look like there is some black fabric covered machinery attached to the back of the figure meaning it might be structured in the same way that the Jack AA in HMH has machinery in his Santa Sack (because of his thin legs)?

• Future Imagineer - Concep

I am not sure if any of you noticed but over in the visual effects booth across from the animatronic booth on top of a pile of stuff is another hatbox, that to me tells me that they have solved the question on how to make his head disappear and reappear, an though the animatronic displayed may not look totally like the original, I think when they install him they will hunch him over and he will look much more like the ghost we have all been dreaming and dying to meet...

Visit me at taylorabaird.com and look for the Disney DIY section... (Remnants of the old Disney Imaginations blog, which mysteriously disappeared...)

• No Disassemble!

After seeing him in person I have to say that he seems to really be out of scale compared to photos of the original one. Of course the demonstrators wouldn't budge on my prying questions but I really hoped that they would acknowledge at least that what was on display was a proof of concept model and that a more expensive (or thoroughly complete) one was in the works.

I mean.. after all if he's gonna be the star of the room they should implement him the right way meaning they'd probably want a better animatronic to accompany the retro-imagined bride they'd want to put in (please God anything.. just get rid of ol' cross-eyes and her hatchet chat). Plus the attic should get a re theme too.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    After seeing him in person I have to say that he seems to really be out of scale compared to photos of the original one. Of course the demonstrators wouldn't budge on my prying questions but I really hoped that they would acknowledge at least that what was on display was a proof of concept model and that a more expensive (or thoroughly complete) one was in the works.

I mean.. after all if he's gonna be the star of the room they should implement him the right way meaning they'd probably want a better animatronic to accompany the retro-imagined bride they'd want to put in (please God anything.. just get rid of ol' cross-eyes and her hatchet chat). Plus the attic should get a re theme too.
    He definitely looks a lot more like the Del Toro movie version we've seen illustrations of. Which makes me think the movie might be actually being made (from what I understand it's been on again off again for a while now). I think it's safe to say that we all agree they would toss him in there for marketing sake.

I agree with you on the attic re-theme. Something darker and a little more eerie would be a better in my opinion. We don't need to really tell a story with a cartoony AA.

After seeing old Hatty up close and personal, I think he'd be a welcome addition to the mansion. I tried to get anything I could out of the Imagineers working the display but, of course, they weren't letting anything slip, although one of them (I won't say who to spare them any ramifications) suggested that the whole Hatty package (disappearing head and all) has the POTENTIAL to be implemented very soon.

When I asked about Hatty's disappearing head gag they simply pointed me over to the illusioneering section stating something along the lines of, "Well if you want to get an idea of how that WOULD be accomplished you can head across to the illusioneering demonstration."

As others have pointed out, there was a hatbox display in the illusioneering corner. Now it could simply mean that they were trying to divert any other questions to another department but that's not the feeling I got. To me it seemed like they were saying, in a very subtle way, "Hey, we've got the animatronic ready to go already! If you want to know about the disappearing head gag just head over there and you'll see that the whole package is ready to be put into place!"

I could be reading too much into things but this is the feeling I got based on the answers I received.

It was also interesting to see that one of the main displays illusioneering demonstrated was a figure of Figment "appearing" out of an otherwise "solid" curtain. An effect that seemed VERY much like the Hatty effect we all know so well.

Like I said, these are all of my personal opinions and observations. Take all this with a heavy grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    That is pretty cool! However, I might be out of the loop on this... but why are so many fans obsessed with this "Hatbox Ghost"? I'm not trying to stir commotion, I'm just a little lost on why this character is such a big deal. I know he was in the attraction for a short time when the it first opened. Maybe someone could explain?

Again, not trying to start arguments...

it think, its kinda like club 33. its something thats "unobtainable" and rare by default. But like club 33 once you see it its pretty overrated

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast