Cool July Trip Report: Club 33 & lots of pics!

Earlier this month, a group of our friends joined us in Disneyland. We’d found out at a party that one of the guys hadn’t been in 20-some years, and his wife hadn’t been in 15 or so. Well, we couldn’t have that! Time for a trip!

The group consisted of mostly Passholders, and those who weren’t Passholders hadn’t been to the resort in a decade or more. It was very strange for me, being a part of a group with such extremes -- especially since I ended up the designated leader. (I was told that they were going to follow me around like eager ducklings. They didn’t disappoint.)

Name:  9481507303_79c555a5e3.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  130.0 KB
    Some of my eager ducklings...

The group went down in batches, since some of us were able to get more time off than the rest. We headed first to our rooms at the HoJo, and then to the ticket booths. Our first day (Friday, July 12), we headed first to DCA. First stop: Muppetvision 3-D!

Name:  9484306542_f636f17016.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  137.3 KB
    The extended-visit part of the group waiting for Muppetvision.

I’d found out on the drive down that one of our members was a huge Muppet fan, so we had to make sure to watch the show.

Next up was the Little Mermaid, and then over to Soarin’ to use the fastpasses I’d grabbed as soon as we got through the gates. (The rest of the party had wanted to go hat shopping before we did too much, since it was a sunny day. This was a REALLY good idea.)

The next big stop was Cars Land. We wanted to catch the neon lighting, and we’d decided to have dinner at Flo’s that night. First we rode both Mater’s and Luigi’s, then we got dinner and settled down to eat and wait for dusk.

Name:  9481514695_36f86ab0d0.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  137.8 KB
    Took time out to pose for a Photo Pass Picture before dinner!

Just before the neon lighting, I sent out all the Cars Land newbies to stand in the middle of Route 66 while I (and a couple others) guarded the food. It’s a good thing we did -- before the rest of our group had been gone for half a minute, a Cast Member was there trying to take their plates away! They’re quick on the clean-up in the Disneyland Resort!

The neon lighting was a hit, and when our party was reunited and done dining, it was time to hit up Radiator Springs Racers. (By the way, if you haven’t eaten at Flo’s V8 Cafe, you should. The food was very good, basic American fare. Diner food, but the best kind. We also had the seasonal blueberry pie, and it was AMAZING.)

We’d been given some Disney magic by a fellow guest: enough RSR fastpasses for those in our group who hadn’t ridden it before to go on it! They weren’t going to be able to use the fastpasses before they expired, so they were nice enough to pass them along.

Name:  9484307006_c797ed1896.jpg
Size:  162.6 KB
    Storytellers has become a traditional picture spot for me, even though it’s only been there a year.

After Racers, we headed over to the lagoon for World of Color. None of the non-Passholders had seen it, so we wanted to make sure they had the chance. I also wanted to show them one of the nighttime shows per night on Friday and Saturday so they would have the option to re-watch one if they wanted. (They appreciated the choice, but opted for more rides instead.)

Name:  9484363316_c92bf66918.jpg
Size:  146.5 KB
    I’ve seen it many times, but still love WoC.

Once World of Color was over, DCA had closed down for the night. Disneyland was still open, however, and since my entire party was made up of nerds (myself included), the unanimous decision for what to do in Disneyland was Star Tours.

That ride was fun as always, and the standby line was actually short. (Not just reasonable, but short.) I think that this was the group favorite for this trip: every time there was a question about what ride to go on next, SOMEONE would bring up Star Tours. I think the group hit up this ride a minimum of once a day for four days.

There was still a little time in Disneyland’s operating day when Star Tours was over, but we were exhausted. Time to head back to the HoJo and bed!
    proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

• formerly very helpful

Re: July Trip Report: Club 33 & lots of pics!

A great trip report. Can't wait to see more!

The next morning, we all headed over to Disneyland -- though first, we made the requisite stop at FFP to grab a Starbucks. Iíll be glad when the Market House reopens and we can get good tea (or coffee) in either park.

Name:  9481514591_451c87f88b.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  146.0 KB
    Mandatory castle shot! Now with the full group.

The first attraction of the day (unless you count the tea & coffee) was Pirates. Itís always fun to take a large group on a boat ride and nearly fill the boat. In this case, there was plenty of room for other groups, but not enough others ready to board. We did have one other family with us, but it felt like we had our own boat.

Name:  9484405898_6124751ec1.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  225.3 KB

Name:  9484306048_21153c3c7c.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  139.1 KB
    Tom Sawyer Island silliness

I donít remember the order of everything we did, but I know we rode Splash, Winnie the Pooh, and headed over to Tom Sawyer Island that morning. We tried to ride Haunted Mansion, but it went down. We got on Indy, too, and also headed over to Fantasyland for the classic dark rides.

Name:  9484306312_bac4af138e.jpg
Size:  166.5 KB
    Little did we know we wouldnít be riding Mansion yet! The ride went down just as we got to the front of the line.

Our group had varied tolerances for thrill rides. Some of us wanted to do EVERYTHING, and others were hesitant about The Matterhorn and Space Mountain. (Iím somewhere in between.) We did convince everyone to ride Space Mountain, though, and I think they all enjoyed it. One of our party members said that she didnít want to do anything more thrilling than Space, and that she didnít know if she even wanted to do that much again, but she was glad sheíd ridden it. After a half-hour or so, she was even heard to admit to having enjoyed herself now that the ride was over.

We did eventually get on the Haunted Mansion. It was a running joke, though, that it always stops mid-ride. (Not just slows, but stops.) We rode it a few times, and once we almost made it all the way without it stopping... Almost, but not quite.

Name:  9481538909_4216f442cc.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  158.0 KB
    Crazy teacups!

For dinner that night, we headed to The Blue Bayou. Weíd made dinner reservations, and timed it perfectly: when we finished with our meal, it was time to go watch Fantasmic!. Iím pretty sure everyone had seen the show before, but for some of the group it had been a long time. I guess not everyone can sing and dance along the way we can.

Name:  9484305592_ed1a0d22a8.jpg
Size:  84.5 KB
    Murphy! I love that dragon.

After Fantasmic! we headed over to Trader Samís for a drink. By the end of two days (one of them a half-day at that) I was already exhausted. Iíve gotten used to experiencing Disneyland on a Passholderís schedule, and so moving at the pace needed to give infrequent guests their moneyís worth was a lot faster than I was used to. I also am not used to being the one in charge of a trip, and I suspect that took its toll, too. I was very ready to head back to HoJo and sleep by the time we were done with our drinks.
    proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

Sunday morning also started with Disneyland, though this time instead of getting our coffee and tea at the Starbucks in DCA, we got breakfast (and coffee, for those interested) at the Jolly Holliday Bakery. One of our birthday people was hiding his birthday button at first, but when we teased him about it, he pulled the button out of his pocket. IMMEDIATELY he was treated to some Disney magic -- a passing janitorial CM wished him a Happy Birthday before he’d finished pinning it to his shirt, and then proceeded to chat and joke with us for several minutes. He also pulled various buttons out of his pockets, and handed them out! Celebrating buttons, Honorary Citizen buttons, and the like.

Name:  9484325700_53176ecc69.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  157.2 KB
    Our hero & princess poses!

Since we had lunch plans that day, we had arrived at the park all dressed up. (We stashed a change of clothes in a locker.) We spent the morning getting our pictures taken with the princesses at Fantasy Faire and riding Fantasyland attractions before heading over to the noon MiceChat meet.

Name:  9484325412_56f6ec0baf.jpg
Size:  175.7 KB
    Aladdin and Jasmine were at Aladdin’s Oasis for a bit before the MiceChatters descended upon the Oasis for lunch.

We didn’t stay at the noon meet for very long, however, because we had other plans for lunch that day: Club 33. Of our group of 10, only 3 of us has dined in the club before, so it was really nice to have the opportunity to share the Disney Magic with so many new people.

Name:  9481513333_714e56aa28.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  103.9 KB
    I don’t have any recollection of what, exactly, was so funny, but here’s proof that I thought something was hysterical.

Name:  9481513157_59e0949042.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  128.7 KB
    Pluto was quite the character!

After lunch, we headed back to the Fantasyland Theatre to see Mickey and the Magical Map. (We’d tried to watch it before lunch, but the earliest show was cancelled.) Since our group was comprised of a bunch of community theatre people, we decided that watching the stage shows was a must-do.

Name:  9481507981_f274b0d030.jpg
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  9481508541_cde153b2af.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  155.9 KB
    It is so nice to see a real live show back in Disneyland!

Then, it was time for the group to part ways. Some of us had decided to go back to the hotel to change instead of making use of the lockers. Others had to head back home so they could make it to work on Monday. And the rest of us decided to change into the clothes we’d left in the lockers and keep on going!

Name:  9481514481_4aa449a682.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  182.1 KB
    It’s a birthday girl!

We headed back into DCA, since we’d hit most of the attractions we wanted to do in Disneyland, but were still missing a bunch of DCA rides. We started small, with Bug’s Land, and then were joined by the rest of the group to do some of the big-ticket attractions we had missed out on before: including Midway Mania and California Screamin’.

Name:  9484299444_4d1318ce69.jpg
Size:  136.7 KB
    Most of our group went up in the Fun Wheel, but I kept my feet firmly on the ground.

There was more we did, but I don’t remember the order of all of it, so I’ll just give you some pictures...

Name:  9481513705_aa3d94fcab.jpg
Size:  147.0 KB
    10 adults in 3 teacups! Fun, but crowded!

Name:  9484331546_b838ae2f0d.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  167.1 KB
    I got a picture with my Fairy Great-Godmother!
    (For an explanation of that, you have to realize that this is the Fairy Godmother from my father's "happy birthday" video from the Indiana Janes. So she's his Fairy Godmother, and my Fairy Great-Godmother.)

Name:  9481505963_f7bb30008f.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  138.6 KB
    Ah yes. Theatre people.

Name:  9481536493_f6032b7c4d.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  147.6 KB
    Getting ready to go on Alice! The CM there looked at how we were dressed, and said she knew where we were headed for lunch.

We did get some additional guest-provided Disney magic this trip. Yet another group handed off fastpasses that they would be unable to use. In this case, we were dining at the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, and the fastpasses were good for Space Mountain. Luckily, a couple members of our group were up for it, so the fastpasses were put to good use! (The rest of us decided it would be better to digest.)

The trip was a definite success! We enjoyed some great meals, some fabulous shows, and good times had by all. I sincerely hope it won’t be another 10-20 years before my friends come back to the park again, but next time they do I’m going to send them off on their own a bit. Being the leader of a flock of eager ducklings was EXHAUSTING.

Name:  9481536713_4f022ec3db.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  129.7 KB
    Hooray for good Disney memories!
    Last edited by bookwyrm; 08-10-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot some photos!

• Selfie Expert

I had a similar trip with three newbies, and it was exactly as you said - a much faster pace than I'd been used to with an AP! It was SO much fun, though! I can't imagine having such a large group to be in charge of. Looks like you did a great job!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I had a similar trip with three newbies, and it was exactly as you said - a much faster pace than I'd been used to with an AP! It was SO much fun, though! I can't imagine having such a large group to be in charge of. Looks like you did a great job!
    Thanks! Fortunately, several of the group were also APs, so they didn't need directions to anything! It was a blast - I'd forgotten how much fun newbies are in Disneyland.

• Selfie Expert

They give you a whole new perspective (or at least one you haven't had in a long time).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Oh I definitely know what it's like to go to Disneyland with people who don't frequent it as often as we do Last December when I still had my AP, I went to Disneyland with my family who at most only go once a year. As you said, it's quite hectic for a person who is used to a slower pace! They never experienced the new major additions like WoC, Carsland, Little Mermaid, and Star Tours 2.0 so those were definite must sees when we went. AND we still had to squeeze in the family favorites! Luckily we were able to do everything we wanted to do.

Anyways, great trip report as usual! Always love to see where you end up next!

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    AND we still had to squeeze in the family favorites! Luckily we were able to do everything we wanted to do.
    Yup, squeezing in favorites is always important! We were able to do everything we wanted as well, though since we had the better part of four days, we also gave ourselves plenty if time in which to do it.

What a wonderful trip report! It's always fun to show newbies around -- we just had that experience about 3 weeks ago. Even though we're not AP holders, we know the park well enough to be able to show others around. '

You were really fortunate to be handed so many freebie fast passes!

BTW -- I direct children's theater at my school. Go theater people!!!! :-)

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

• The doctor is in

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

What an amazing trip! There is nothing more fun than taking somebody who hasn't been to the parks in a very long time. (Or who have never been there!)

Thanks for sharing it with us!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

ó Ernest Thompson Seton

Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady19 View Post
    You were really fortunate to be handed so many freebie fast passes!

BTW -- I direct children's theater at my school. Go theater people!!!! :-)

Donna
    We were really lucky - but it makes me that much more likely to do the same if I have a fast pass I can't use!

Hooray for theatre people!

• I'm from Canada eh!

Looks lik you guys had a blast. I have never been to DL with morethan my wife and kids and going with a big group looks like it would be fun!

Thanks for sharing!