• The doctor is in

Some advice for visiting in March

I am getting to be pretty good at choosing when to visit and when not to visit, but this time I am in a bit of a pickle because I actually have a scheduling conflict. Previously I could just take leave whenever I wanted (for the most part) and found that visiting in March before the Spring Break crowds worked like a charm. However, I am in college now (woop) and I got my calendar for the year. I had been planning on going during my Spring Break with hopes that I would be on break in the first or second week of March. My break runs from March 24-28, so I got stuck with the end of the month.
    I considered just waiting until I get out of school in May, but after experiencing the month of May this year I will never visit again. Grad Nights can go kick rocks.

I know the parks are super crowded during Spring Break. That is just a given. I'm probably only doing the 3-day pass I was given instead of a 5-day, so I have a bit of flexibility on exactly what days I want to do. I still think Tuesday-Thursday are the best days but I don't know if that strategy would necessarily work in peak season. The one plus I do see is extended hours would be in effect. My question is, how crowded would they be towards the end of the month? Anyone else been brave enough to do Spring Break before?
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Some advice for visiting in March

As a local, I can tell you Spring Break does get pretty nuts.

• The doctor is in

Well shoot.

I was also looking at early June before the CA schools get out, but I would still potentially run into the Grad Night situations.

Do you have to go in March? Do you have any time off immediately following Thanksgiving? The week after Turkey day was our go-to week when my daughter was young. Light crowds, Christmas decorations....the place is magical that time of year.

We have had to do 2nd week of March for our last few visits and while tolerable, I long for the day when we can again go right after Thanksgiving. In fact, our local school district is moving Spring break to mid-April, which I fear will be even worse than late March.

Brian
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

We almost always go the first weekend in June, just after Memorial Day. The schools in my part of the country let out mid-May. We haven't noticed any issues at all with crowds and we never go on a Grad Night. This seems to be our personal "sweet spot" so to speak.

I know some folks claim that this is a busy time of year to go, but for us there really aren't any other options.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Dead men tell no tales.

I visited this year at the end of March and can tell you firsthand that while yeah it can get busy, its still possible to have a lot of fun. Also, out of the four days I went at the end of March one was Easter Sunday and that Sunday was surprisingly less crowded than any of the other days. Don't know what happened as the days before were fairly busy but nonetheless, Easter Sunday might be the best day to go the parks if your schedule allows.

My first ever visit to DL was during Spring Break. It wasn't too bad. We were there 5 days and had a chance to do everything, most things more than once.

Tuesday - Thursday are the least crowded, definitely take advantage of your MM hour and make sure to start early and stay late. If you have already seen the fireworks and parade and won't feel like you're missing out, plan to do busy rides (Splash, Space Mtn., etc.) during the fireworks. Do Fantasyland rides during the parades when all the kids are watching the parade and not riding.

• The doctor is in

Easter is on April 20th next year, so I won't be dealing with that at all.

Thanks for the trip reports Spence and kirstenh. If I decide on Spring Break I think I will definitely make Tuesday-Thursday my days in the park.
    I also appreciate the tip on June, 4th Gen Disney Fan. If I miss out on Spring Break I'll definitely consider the first week of June. I'll be out of school by then so I'll have a bit more flexibility.