Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Announcements for attractions at DL coming "over the next couple of months"

Re: Announcements for attractions at DL coming "over the next couple of months"

We shall see....
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

thats exciting. but if they are gonna announce stuff in the next few months why wouldnt they have just announced it at D23?...

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    thats exciting. but if they are gonna announce stuff in the next few months why wouldnt they have just announced it at D23?...
    From my understanding this year's D23 really wasn't supposed to have any announcements park wise.

• Future Imagineer

^ Exactly. This year's Parks related stuff was meant to celebrate the 60th aniversary of WDI. Also, some Imagineers mentioned that the timing wasn't right for doing any sort of anouncements.

•   
    • Minion

^ yeah why would they use their fan fest to promote their own products LOL silly Disney just another example that they go in different directions all the time. They had a forum to announce a lot of Star Wars news but instead they ignored it. Makes me confused. No Epsiode 7 or attractions just hints. They aren't ready now but they will be in couple months seems like they should already have a plan by now for new attractions and the new movie.

• Singing Drinker

I'm using this to gauge TDA's panic level over USH and WWOHP West.

I don't believe this is a mirror situation to IOA opening in Orlando; Disneyland's had serious E-ticket level rumors for the last year or two and fairly widespread sourcing across most sites has a consistent level of concern for plussing up the park, as opposed to the Orlando "good enough for rot, good enough for me" push they were on at the time.

I do believe they're sitting on a pile of Potter-shot. My deep suspicion is that the pacing and level of construction will show exactly how concerned they are. I *believe* Transformers already has them rattled. It deeply goosed the attendance at Universal Hollywood, looks to be doing the same at Florida, and Disney's got nothing in the next year or two to counter it... I would be highly unsurprised if there's not a stack of near-shovel-ready projects sitting on someone's desk in priority order to match the level of heart attack coming from above.

*edit*

As to why not at D23, look at it from Disney's point of view. "Hey world! Here's an exhaustive list of hints and previews that can be distilled into a nearly inviolable business plan for what we are doing for the next ten years. Boy, wouldn't it SUCK if someone were to share this online and give our competitors the entire business book for park expansion? Here we go! Let's lock EVERYTHING in for the next decade come hell or high water!"

Why would they give Uni the ammo and the ability to start countering now? Disney sitting tight - even if Potter explodes and becomes THE west coast draw (full disclosure, I don't think it will be THAT big) - means they have the ability to counterpunch without having to frustrate the fanbase or rile up the Wall Street leeches.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Monorail Junkie

My question is where exactly is all the acreage that Disney owns in Anaheim. I know that two parks, the hotel grounds and parking structure, the corner by Paradise pier (old gas station area) and the two lots across Harbor but I am not sure where the long term lease land is. Any one have an idea?

I believe the latest "Al Lutz" report stated that the projects aren't exactly greenlit yet because funding won't be approved until October. Too many branches of the Disney Corporation that don't complement each other, perhaps.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think what many people don't take into consideration is that once something is an idea, even if there are set plans for that particular attraction and such, many many things need to be approved, checked and re-checked before they can even think about giving a morsel of news. I'm sure some of these things are in the process of being done or are being waited on so don't jump down Imagineering's throat. Don't you think they'd give the good news if they possibly could?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    My question is where exactly is all the acreage that Disney owns in Anaheim. I know that two parks, the hotel grounds and parking structure, the corner by Paradise pier (old gas station area) and the two lots across Harbor but I am not sure where the long term lease land is. Any one have an idea?
    The acreage that Disney owns (commonly reffered to as "the strawberry field" as that was what it was when Disney bought it) is the land currently occupied by the Toy Story lot. It is kitty-corner and South-East of DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    ^ yeah why would they use their fan fest to promote their own products LOL.
    announcement strategies are a lot more complicated than just this. announcements are timed to when the company feels they'll best settle in. factors include any other announcements the company may be making, competition, events the company may have going on at that or other times, etc.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I believe the latest "Al Lutz" report stated that the projects aren't exactly greenlit yet because funding won't be approved until October. Too many branches of the Disney Corporation that don't complement each other, perhaps.
    One of the reasons I love this site are things like the Accountaneering column - Disney's a massively complex corporation and that complexity means things move a bit differently. This becomes even MORE an issue when dealing with multiple brands.

F'r instance, Marvel. Let's say you want to build... oh... Parnival Plunder's Mysterious Menagerie attraction. It's a very low level Marvel villain. VERY.

You can't just ask Imagineering. At the *very* least, you need to secure the rights to the character, which means going through the Test of the Hourly Billing Lawyers. HBLs need to pour over the agreements with various OTHER parks using the licenses to ensure that Parnival Plunder is not covered under another park's licensing, or if it is licensed out the HBLs will determine to what extent and how the character can be used.

Different characters have different involvements. Marvel (from what I've read - this is pure speculation on my part) SEEMS to be pulling this in a little bit ever since they realized an in-house Marvel Entertainment label has use. But let's just say lil' ol' Parnival has a cranky Stan Lee level auteur in control who somehow managed to retain final sign off on character uses - KACHING! More HBL hours! More meetings! More months in the pipeline!

That's just off the planning stages.

Internally Disney may not have it much easier. Character bibles have become... well... "Bibles" in the authoritative sense. Layers of approval for use of in-house franchises must still be sought. Political infighting must be quelled if it exists. The list goes on.

Even at the far end of the pipeline, once you've dreamed up and secured the approvals for everything to submit your full budget proposal, all you've done is stepped up to the hardest chokepoint - getting budget. I'd wager most divisions of Disney (heck, ANY major company) all feel like they're the driver. "My company would die without the contributions of my division" stuff. A major $100 million plus project would need to get the entire board (or at least whatever amount is required by their bylaws) to agree that whatever pet project THEY have that would make THEIR division look good is not as important as yours.

I've tried to Disney that up a bit, but it's a common problem with major corporations - "corporate arterial hardening". The larger and more generalized you get, the more cumbersome and labor intensive the simple genesis and gestating of new ideas becomes.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

While D23 expo is cool......I just think I'll ever go to to one again until they really start announcing things we don't know about
    Disney like look at Frozen, Good Dinosaur, Planes 2.....but we already know those are coming...were are the big OMG announcements....even just logo for Black Panther...or just a few models teasing the up coming Star Wars attractions...for 40 bucks...I want more then just specialty items and clips from movies that are coming out in less then 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    While D23 expo is cool......I just think I'll ever go to to one again until they really start announcing things we don't know about
    Disney like look at Frozen, Good Dinosaur, Planes 2.....but we already know those are coming...were are the big OMG announcements....even just logo for Black Panther...or just a few models teasing the up coming Star Wars attractions...for 40 bucks...I want more then just specialty items and clips from movies that are coming out in less then 3 months
    but honestly I dont really see the point of D23 if they arent gonna give you anything new to get excited about. Every other convention similiar to this always gives you new info except D23 it seems

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast