Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

The Best Inclusion?

For many, the best attractions are those that really include the guests as part of the story, rather than just passively watching. For me, one of the best for this is the canoes.
    While paddling my way, it's like I'm a pioneer exploring the frontier. Another of my favorites at this is Star Tours. I'm not just watching an adventure on a screen, but I'm "actually" on the spaceship trying to escape with the rebel spy. I may even BE that rebel. Haunted Mansion is another home run when it comes to this. I feel like I am really exploring a haunted house. I'm a part of the story.
    On the other hand, Finding Nemo subs fails at this since I really only sit and watch the action happening to someone else. I'd say the same about Splash Mountain. As great a flume ride as it is, it is still really about Bre'r Fox trying to catch Bre'r Rabbit, and not me.
    So, what do you think are the most successful at pulling you into the story? Like the canoes, it doesn't necessarily have to be the most technically advanced effects that do this. If you disagree with any examples, (nicely) explain why. Polite disagreement can make for some good discussions.

• Minion

Re: The Best Inclusion?

Haunted Mansion because the Ghost Host directly addresses you throughout the tour, and you're the one who is going to be haunted by one of the hitchhiking ghosts.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Haunted Mansion, but for many of the same reasons as the canoes: the canoes lack the effects and such though. It requires no narrative disconnect, as in say, Pirates, where there is both a spatial 'magical' transport (from outside a nice building to a wooden dock in a bayou thats somehow inside said building.) and time travel/temporal transport at work (back in time from the bayou, to pirate days).

Haunted Mansion basically is a fantasy insofar as there are ghosts...but it could be an authentic old house moved to Disneyland (an early story point) from Louisiana as an example of architecture, and oh yeah, it's haunted. You're visiting it as a tourist, ghosts inside do ghostly things and 'recognize' you, aim their energies at you. It's one solid logical piece of how you relate to the surroundings and unfolding events.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Autopia, Tarzans Treehouse in addition to those mentioned above.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• -

I would have to say Indy is a great example of this. It starts while you are waiting in line where it is more like exploring caves and an archeological dig site. The story is explained in the screening room how Dr. Jones has disappeared in the temple. You are then part of a party in an EMV that is searching for him. When you finally see Indy he tells you which way to go to get out. At the end of the ride he directs you to shine a light on the boulder. Finally, when you get off the ride, you’re not simply dumped in a gift shop. You have to walk all the way out of the temple again to exit. You are immersed in the story from the moment you enter the line to the moment you get out of the show building and rejoin the crowds in Adventureland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, especially since the other FL rides had their first person aspect toned down by including the character that you're supposed to be somewhere in the ride. You never see Mr. Toad.

• Singing Drinker

Most any of the older rides do this for me. I like the "being in the moment" aspects of the rides that don't call attention to the artifice - Mark Twain, trains, etc. - over the rides where you're just there watching someone else's adventure. 3D movies get really bad about this, but it's hard to consistently break that 4th wall without pushing over into cheese.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Likely not exactly what you are trying to get at here but I love the Mark Twain. It isn't just a boat ride for me. I feel transported to a bygone era. I feel part of the experience.

• Science Factual

Alice in Wonderland yo.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Autopia, Tarzans Treehouse in addition to those mentioned above.
    Funny, when it comes to Tarzans Treehouse, I feel the exact opposite, primarily because I'm just being told/shown the story of Tarzan, character figures, and all. Interesting how we see things differently.

i also was very much thinking about the Mark Twain, Tamiele. I think it's a perfect example,cut I already mentioned a river attraction.

• Selfie Expert

Star Tours and Indy due to the queue actually being the beginning of the transportation. I would also agree that Mr. Toad is great since you're the "driver" and are a character in the story.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Blew By You

I think Dumbo puts you in a great place, actually flying with Dumbo.

tom sawyer's island. you decide what your adventure will be over there.

i'd also say big thunder and grizzly river run, in that they lack a narrative but are so immersive that you can easily create your own.

• formerly very helpful

Many times, I feel lack of a narrative really adds to the immersiveness of attractions.

There are only a few examples of attractions in Disneyland where you are merely invisible witnesses to events.

Although Snow White has been somewhat stupidly dumped into her ride, it's still similar enough to the classic incarnation where you are experiencing things from the perspective of Snow White herself and being stalked by the witch. It's flawed, but it's enough like the classic Fantasyland dark rides that put you in the place of the title characters.

Splash Mountain is somewhat of an oddity, but there is still a certain amount of interactivity when you are flung into the briar patch and return home. That section of the ride seems to be from the perspective of Br'er Rabbit.

Pirates would seem to be the odd one out of all the major E Ticket attractions. All of the original interactivity has been removed. No dialogue in the caves or pooped pirate talking to you. That moment established that the pirates could actually see you and you weren't merely invisible witnesses to the events of the ride. All that remains are the tacky and fairly weak movie tie-in waterfall and narration on the lift hill. Yet, I feel that these pull you out of the experience more than anything since they don't really fit in with the rest of the attraction.
    Last edited by Great Movie Rider; 08-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast