DLand and DCA trip with VIP, suggestions sought!

First off, greetings everyone. I am new to the forum but hope to be able to contribute in the future. While I grew up in Anaheim and spent a lot of time at Disneyland, I haven't been in 20 years. But a recent Disney World trip has recently rekindled our Disney love and we stumbled on this forum while planning a trip. I am all "ears" for those that would like to help us and in kind I promise a trip report with pics if there is interest.

As of now, we have reserved 3 nights at the Grand Californian, with 4 day hopper pass. We have been fortunate to reserve the vip tour for 2 days. The trip is for myself, DW and 3 year-old DS.

Wed afternoon: Half day at Disneyland
    Thursday: all day DCA with VIP tour
    Friday: all day Disneyland with VIP tour, Friday night: Mickeys Halloween Party
    Saturday: GC pools, limited parks if needed

Now, does that seem reasonable? We have tentatively scheduled the vip guide for 6 hours each day. Is that enough time for each park? Should we increase to 8 hours? Only concern is 8 hours is pushing it for our kiddo before nap time. Those of you with young kids, did you go back to hotel to nap and go back to park at night? My son is tall enough for all rides except Indiana Jones and California Screamin. Any off the radar must do's?

TIA

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: DLand and DCA trip with VIP, suggestions sought!

Welcome to the boards!

I wish I could help you with that, but I have never had the resources to be able to use the VIP touring. Since VIP tours get a front of the line pass, it might be possible to do the parks on the schedule you have posted. I have always thought that the VIP tours allow people to miss out on some of the aspects of both parks that have the Disney magic so many love.

Regardless of your schedule, remember to allow your 3 year old to dictate the schedule a bit and it will make life a bit easier for you. When our DD was that age we would go early and then take an afternoon break to allow her nap/down time each day's visit. With staying at the Grand, you are within easy walking distance to relax for a bit each afternoon. That is one of the few reasons I would stay there with a toddler (well that and the ability to get drenched on Grizzly river and then hop back to change).

You may also want to plan that last day to take by yourselves to visit the parks and revisit any rides /shows/experiences your family liked before leaving.
    Last edited by Acpisme; 08-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Ah, I should add, that you son might love to do the Cars Meet and greets, so plan to possible revisit that on non-tour days.

At three, he might get a kick out of Pirates Lair the former Tom Sawyers island. Toddlers love run around time. In Mickey's Toontown, he will probably enjoy visiting all the various houses & Donald's boat.

He may also enjoy Fantasmic with Mickey and the dragon, depending on it's showing at that time of the year. You may want to plan fireworks, depending how he is with the noise (my DD loved them, her cousin the same age hated them).
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Welcome to the boards!

I wish I could help you with that, but I have never had the resources to be able to use the VIP touring. Since VIP tours get a front of the line pass, it might be possible to do the parks on the schedule you have posted. I have always thought that the VIP tours allow people to miss out on some of the aspects of both parks that have the Disney magic so many love.

Regardless of your schedule, remember to allow your 3 year old to dictate the schedule a bit and it will make life a bit easier for you. When our DD was that age we would go early and then take an afternoon break to allow her nap/down time each day's visit. With staying at the Grand, you are within easy walking distance to relax for a bit each afternoon. That is one of the few reasons I would stay there with a toddler (well that and the ability to get drenched on Grizzly river and then hop back to change).

You may also want to plan that last day to take by yourselves to visit the parks and revisit any rides /shows/experiences your family liked before leaving.
    Thanks,

You have a very interesting point about the VIP tour missing out on some elements. I am a bit worried about missing out on some of the queuing details you get while waiting in line. We will see but I figured we would try it once and see if it is something we would like for the future or not.

Will look into Pirates Lair and the Cars meet. He loves fireworks and rides so we are good there. In fact, he rode and loved Big Thunder at DW when he was 2, yes he is really tall for his age!

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Hey there!

I can help explain the VIP tour service a little better as I am actually a VIP tour guide.

The VIP tour essentially allows you into the FastPass queue of any attraction that offers FastPass as many times as you wish throughout your tour (it's unlimited). With that said, there will still be a small amount of waiting time (up to around 15 minutes or so) for each attraction. We DO NOT have "front of the line" access. Besides FastPass attractions, the VIP tour also offers several additional attractions that are not FastPass attractions for your enjoyment.

In Disney California Adventure, this includes: Toy Story Midway Mania!, Monsters, Inc: Mike and Sully to the Rescue!, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Ariel's Undersea Adventure.
    (Please note that these listed attractions are subject to change with or without notice.)

At Disneyland, the tour includes: Matterhorn, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal Boats, "it's a small world", Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Haunted Mansion.
    (Please note that these listed attractions are subject to change with or without notice.)

The VIP tour also offers viewing for select parades and other entertainment offerings. Please note, however, that our viewing sections do "book out" at times, so please alert your VIP host or hostess about your interest in viewing these shows relatively early on in the tour if they have not already offered it to you. Be prepared that some entertainment venues may already be booked to their capacity by the time you ask. We can also help arrange for dining at any table service restaurant, including Carthay Circle, Wine Country Trattoria, Ariels' Grotto, Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou, and Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. We could also work with the restaurants at the Disney hotels as well. * Also note: your tour guide does not need to be present with you if they have already booked you reservations for one of our entertainment offerings, such as World of Color or Fantasmic!. All you would need to do is approach the CM at the reserved viewing section and provide the name given on the tour's itinerary. This will allow you into the area when your tour guide is not present. *

All VIP tours are a standard six consecutive hours. For DCA, it is possible to do the park realistically in about four or so hours... so it's possible to even do some repeats on attractions. Disneyland can be done comfortably in about six to eight hours, depending how busy the park is.

Hope that helps you out! Have a great tour!

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Great info on the VIP tours!

• Minion

In addition to what Fan said, talk to the person handling your services. You can ask in advance to arrange seatings for Fantasmic! or WoC or parades. Otherwise, you guide can use their new "Magical iPhones" (formerly known as the "Magical Blackberrys") to arrange shows.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Wow, thank you so much for the information! That helps so much. The amount of time really helps as I had no idea how much time to book for. Can you explain what the preferred access means for the non-Fast Pass rides? I know it will be a fantastic trip.

Again, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    Hey there!

I can help explain the VIP tour service a little better as I am actually a VIP tour guide.

The VIP tour essentially allows you into the FastPass queue of any attraction that offers FastPass as many times as you wish throughout your tour (it's unlimited). With that said, there will still be a small amount of waiting time (up to around 15 minutes or so) for each attraction. We DO NOT have "front of the line" access. Besides FastPass attractions, the VIP tour also offers several additional attractions that are not FastPass attractions for your enjoyment.

In Disney California Adventure, this includes: Toy Story Midway Mania!, Monsters, Inc: Mike and Sully to the Rescue!, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Ariel's Undersea Adventure.

At Disneyland, the tour includes: Matterhorn, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal Boats, "it's a small world", Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Haunted Mansion.

The VIP tour also offers viewing for select parades and other entertainment offerings. Please note, however, that our viewing sections do "book out" at times, so please alert your VIP host or hostess about your interest in viewing these shows relatively early on in the tour if they have not already offered it to you. Be prepared that some entertainment venues may already be booked to their capacity by the time you ask. We can also help arrange for dining at any table service restaurant, including Carthay Circle, Wine Country Trattoria, Ariels' Grotto, Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou, and Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. We could also work with the restaurants at the Disney hotels as well. * Also note: your tour guide does not need to be present with you if they have already booked you reservations for one of our entertainment offerings, such as World of Color or Fantasmic!. All you would need to do is approach the CM at the reserved viewing section and provide the name given on the tour's itinerary. This will allow you into the area when your tour guide is not present. *

All VIP tours are a standard six consecutive hours. For DCA, it is possible to do the park realistically in about four or so hours... so it's possible to even do some repeats on attractions. Disneyland can be done comfortably in about six to eight hours, depending how busy the park is.

Hope that helps you out! Have a great tour!

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Essentially for those non-fastpass attractions that I listed we go through an alternative entrance, typically an exit, to enjoy those select non-fastpass attractions. Please note that for the other non-fastpass attractions I DID NOT post above, the VIP tour offers no special access into those queues - it's the regular line.

Too bad the VIP tour misses Peter Pan. That would have to be at the top of the list of the non-FP attractions a shortened wait would be desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Too bad the VIP tour misses Peter Pan. That would have to be at the top of the list of the non-FP attractions a shortened wait would be desirable.
    I would say that this is a pretty slow time of the year. On weekends only the premium passes can get in and people around the country are getting ready for school to start. The crowd index is like 60 until noon or so. I would go to the non VIP tour things for the first 3 hours because the park isnt that crowded anyway, then switch over to VIP once the park gets crowded. We have been going at night around 7 or 8.

Lines for some things are ridiculously long, but during the fireworks this week we had zero wait for nemo, autopia etc. I hadnt ridden the submarine ride in like 8 years because the line is always too long and I wont wait for more than 20 minutes for any ride.