Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Re: Peoplemover - What was it and why is it so popular today?

The current Tomorrowland is a shadow of it's former self.

I would say the PeopleMover was the Tomorrowland version of the Disneyland Railroad or the Mark Twain Riverboat. That is, a scenic ride through Tomorrowland.

As others have said, the best part of the ride was being able to easily sit down, relax, and enjoy the view for 15 minutes. Something that seems harder and harder to do at the parks now.

Most definitely not a thrill ride, but I seem to remember it did pick up a bit of speed as it circled around Autopia. A similar ride (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) still exists at WDW. However, what was great on the DLR version was that is had a very open air feeling. The cars were covered, but you had a great view on all sides (except some of the tunnels). The WDW ride feels much more cramped to me since the entire route is covered.

Again, as others have mentioned it added a great feeling of movement to the area. Especially seeing the cars pass through the queues of other attractions. It provided a feeling that there is more to see and do, just around the corner. Similar to how the Riverboat adds a depth to Rivers of America -- not only indicating the river "goes some where", but also a chance to experience it first hand. Seeing the PeopleMover go by always made me wonder, "what's back there?". And it gave me a chance to do that.

• Science Factual

Kinda like a sampler platter of DL.

Mmm. Samples.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

I wish it would come back, but who knows. The Magic Kingdom Version I rode three times when I was their this past April was a great trip!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Ah, The PeopleMover. It was an optimistic and kinetic attraction - colorful, always moving, with great views and great relaxation.

As for thrills, anyone remember when it dipped down to parallel the Monorail? Bumpy!! I used to joke that it was the most violent attraction at Disneyland - that little section definitely was!

• Hooterville, USA

It was popular because it was a great attraction. If they brought it back, it would still be a great attraction.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    It was popular because it was a great attraction. If they brought it back, it would still be a great attraction.
    this

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    The Peoplemover:

~Swallowed around 900 guests every 15 minutes....that's 900 people off Disneylands crowded walkways.

~Rarely had a significant line.....and when it did you could bet that the lines for everything else were far, far worse.

~Was part TL's kinetic energy...back then you had everything moving...Rocket Jets, Skyway, Subs, Motorboats(boarded in FL but they did visit TL en route), Autopias, etc.

~Nice way to take a 15 minute rest without having to search for a bench out of the sun.

~Exhibited a truly cool transportation system....the cars were motorless....physically speaking, the track provided the work.
    True. And in some ways, it was sort of Tomorrowland's answer to the Steam Trains. Okay, well not totally. But while many will critique it because it was slow (and to many, "boring"), it is this very element that I liked personally. It added motion to the area as some have pointed out. Tomorrowland was a a land on the move. It also gave you a chance to relax for a bit as you traveled around observing what Tomorrowland had to offer. For those of us who didn't need a thrill ride at every turn it was a great part of the area.

Having the tracks just sit there, idle, for so long is pretty sad. Having worked Tomorrowland attractions when I first hired in to the park, I can attest that it did have the ever-present potential for going 101. But so does everything at the park, pretty much.

It ended up being a mistake closing it, in my opinion. And had the powers that be had the power of foresight to see what was going to happen to the Rods ride, they probably wouldn't have. The attraction that followed didn't work, but because of the changes to the track that had been made, going back to the PM was not going to happen. Would have been too much work to go back to something that many considered "outdated" or whatever they called it. I had no problem with it, but going back to something that was already there is not a popular idea with many, both park honchos and guests.

I still hope they do, but I doubt it. We shall see.

• Singing Drinker

I have memories of the ride dating back into the early seventies. The first incarnation I was able to remember (too young before) was under sponsorship of Goodyear. The series of conveyor ramps as you ascended the ride tower had a series of simple animated displays of families on the move, etc. (of course emphasizing how wonderful tires made it all). The "World of Speed" tunnel was still there - you would be running through Tomorrowland and all the sudden Monaco speedway. Um, OK . It was still awesome though.

The later incarnations eventually stripped away the little animated vignettes in the line (I *believe* even before the sponsorship ran out), and the World of Speed became the Gamegrid of Tron. Little choppy in the transitions between scenes they used, but still probably better themed for what Tomorrowland was becoming.

From the first times I was able to start forcing... er... "convincing" my family to let me pick the first ride until they took it out, the Peoplemover was my first ride of the morning. In addition to the "ride" aspects, it also gave you a quick look at the waits on everything in Tomorrowland, the Matterhorn and even over into Small World.

I do miss it.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

The PeopleMover symbolized Walt's idea of the future more than any other attraction. A single ride that allowed you to take in more of Tomorrowland than any other attraction. It was the heart and soul of Tomorrowland. It wasn't a thrill ride, but neither is the Disneyland Railroad.

Essentially Tomorrowlands Railroad has been fragmentarily removed with the tracks left to rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Truthfully it seems to be something that people maybe remember being better then it was. When it closed at Disneyland (1995 ish?) there was NEVER any line for it. Even on the busiest day you could walk on and on slow days there would be three or four completely empty cars going around for every one car that had someone in it. Now, to be fair, I believe it might have had the highest guest capacity per hour of any attraction at Disneyland, however, there was a time when it was a 20-minute wait, so it had clearly declined in popularity. IF they bring it back they probably would need to change it up a little bit. I personally would like to see them do some kind of flying car type of attraction just to make it seem futuristic again. I do agree that Disneyland needs rides where people can just sit and relax for 15 minutes, and maybe today with the parks seemingly always crowded it would be more popular, but there was a good reason it went away.
    Well, if going from a 20 minute wait to no wait is cause for closure, we should see Little Mermaid at DCA closed any day now.

I agree it really wasn't a "big deal." But I enjoyed it as a kid. Mainly for the reasons already posted here. If I had the choice I guess I'd rather have something bigger, better, and thrilling put in where the track is now. But I'd rather have the original PM, untouched and as it was, rather than an empty, deteriorating elevated track.

• Singing Drinker

Capacity was also massive in that ride - as other posters said, even at heaviest useage the lines wouldn't last too long. The loading system meant that as long as the ride was operational it was boarding at close to maximum capacity. The upside meant that if the ride was running 850 people an hour the ride would be a walk-on. That's not to be dismissed. The downside would be anything less than maximum useage looked like wasted resources.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    Kinda like a sampler platter of DL.

Mmm. Samples.
    Oddly accurate.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

The Peoplemover was more than just a ride.

Walt Disney intended the Peoplemover to be a demonstration of a new type of transportation - a transportation system of the future. He envisioned Peoplemovers being built all over the World - in downtown corridors, airports, shopping malls, etc.

The Peoplemover was one of the most iconic attractions of the old Tomorrowland when that land really was about "tomorrow."

• Roller coaster enthusiast

As I remember in some of Walt's films describing his original vision for EPCOT, the Monorails would bring people from outside the city and into the hub or downtown area. The WED Way Peoplemover would then take them to the suburban type areas of EPCOT. Walt was trying to show that this could be a future form of mass transit and unfortunately, it's still being viewed as an attraction. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much electricity the PM at WDW and DL consumed per hour?
    Current coaster count: 179
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast