Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Peoplemover - What was it and why is it so popular today?

While I have very fond memories of the People Mover, I'm not pining for it to make a comeback. Sometime over the last thirty years or so, the slow little train lost its "futuristic" feel and came to be quaint, retro, and, well, boring. I'm not the only one who thought so, either– there were lots of empty trains toward the end there.

Elon Musk's new Hyperloop design, however, would be an excellent replacement. Take out the old PM tracks, and put in tubes that channel high-speed, solar-powered, air-cushioned pods. Musk is proposing a 720mph route from L.A. to S.F., but a smaller scale would perfectly capture Walt's "transportation of the future" feel. Using clear tubes (instead of Musk's steel design) would add the visible movement Tomorrowland has been missing. It would be an improvement over the Rocket Rods, too- a high-speed thrill ride that still gives a tour of Tomorrowland, but actually works.

• Sock Puppet

I believe the Peoplemover was to the East side of the park what the Mark Twain is to the West side. It fit a certain niche as an attraction: a novel form of transportation taking you on a slow moving, relaxing tour of the area and surrounding attractions. It also helped create a valuable visual kinetic energy in the landscape, much like the Mark Twain and the Columbia do. For those reasons it is badly missed and has left a void on that side of the park.

Riding the one in Magic Kingdom - it gives you a great idea of the atmosphere of Tomorrowland. Modern yet technology that serves a grand theme, instead of actually showing what tomorrow may look like, it shows you a glance at imagination and creation. Perhaps if Tomorrowland got another re-vamp in to the new world of modernism and creation, it could be a really incredible showcase that Disney could really abuse. Perhaps a showcase of their Tomorrowland, and on the inside track, a showcase of technology in the making from providers such as Apple and Google. Wouldn't that be neat?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I believe the Peoplemover was to the East side of the park what the Mark Twain is to the West side. It fit a certain niche as an attraction: a novel form of transportation taking you on a slow moving, relaxing tour of the area and surrounding attractions. It also helped create a valuable visual kinetic energy in the landscape, much like the Mark Twain and the Columbia do. For those reasons it is badly missed and has left a void on that side of the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    The PeopleMover symbolized Walt's idea of the future more than any other attraction. A single ride that allowed you to take in more of Tomorrowland than any other attraction. It was the heart and soul of Tomorrowland. It wasn't a thrill ride, but neither is the Disneyland Railroad.
    Well said!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Elon Musk's new Hyperloop design, however, would be an excellent replacement. Take out the old PM tracks, and put in tubes that channel high-speed, solar-powered, air-cushioned pods. Musk is proposing a 720mph route from L.A. to S.F., but a smaller scale would perfectly capture Walt's "transportation of the future" feel.
    That would be the shortest fastest ride in the world. You could take a 700 mph Hyperloop tour around the entire DLR in about 10 seconds!

Heck, I liked the Rocket Rods.

I liked the People Mover too.

I'd like to see the track, or the area the track is in, repurposed to something similar in the coming years.

I think (the most dangerous words on the internet ;-]) that the PM's fatal flaw was that it was a transportation ride that took you absolutely nowhere. The Skyway saved walking. The Monorail, though initially a closed circuit, eventually could take you out of the park and back in. These were Walt's idea of futuristic transportation that really *transported* you somewhere useful. If they had made a second station somewhere, anywhere then it would have had the potential for a greater ridership.

BTW, the only non-Disney PeopleMover, the WEDway, is still operating at the Houston Airport as a transportation system.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Thanks everyone for your feedback and knowledge. I appreciate the insight into this ride and the cause for its fond devotion.

I will admit I didn't grow up with the People Mover since my love for Disney happened after its demise as the Rocket Rods, and only later did I learn what that weird structure thing was above Tomorrowland. While I do find its history very fascinating, I personally am not one that is either for or against seeing it return. I wouldn't mind seeing it come back in one form or another, but won't be ranting and raving for it to return.

Also, bigcatrik does have a point. The People Mover was fun, but it basically did what it says; moved people, but th epeople never went anywhere because they would end up back where they were. The Main Street transportation brings you to the plaza and Castle hub, the Monorail takes you from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney, DCA's Red Car takes you from Buena Vista Street to the Hollywood Tower Hotel, and the Disneyland Railroad gives you 4 destinations around the park to disembark, making it the perfect way to get around and rest your feet. If People Mover were to come back, I would like to see it make a stop...somewhere. Where? I don't really know because the circuit is pretty close together and being an actual transport ride with more than 2 stations would be a bit difficult and a bit pointless. But then I start to become a bit hypocritical with myself, since I don't mind the Mark Twain River Boat/Sailing Ship Columbia since its basically the same premise.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Artistic integrity

I want to give a very in-depth response .. but I will have to wait.

For the meantime .. let me say this -

How many Peoplemovers does anyone know of .. where A Transportation system ... takes you directly into the building you need to go in? Anything we have in modern society today .. just takes you to stations .. and then you have to figure out what to - to ultimately get where you want to go.

Disneyland's PM exemplified that premise. A premise some science-fiction films did .. like Logans Run.

I love the idea of a futuristic city .. that is all tied together by transportation lines connecting all the buildings ....... It's still futuristic ... and I do wish I could see it again - and in a whole new way.

I will go into another, much more elaborate post .. with pictures to demonstrate my points later.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Unless you there to experience it for yourself, it's difficult to imagine how much good energy the PM added to Tomorrowland. It made the land exciting because there was this constant overhead fluid motion.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think a big reason the PeopleMover is missed is because it would not be considered "Disney" today (if new) and Disneyland became a cultural icon not being "Disney."

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    It was popular because it was a great attraction. If they brought it back, it would still be a great attraction.
    We need a "like" feature on MC
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    The PeopleMover symbolized Walt's idea of the future more than any other attraction. A single ride that allowed you to take in more of Tomorrowland than any other attraction. It was the heart and soul of Tomorrowland. It wasn't a thrill ride, but neither is the Disneyland Railroad.

Essentially Tomorrowlands Railroad has been fragmentarily removed with the tracks left to rot.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Minion

The peoplemover help bring the land together for me. You walked into TL and you would see those cars moving above you and you knew you were in the land of tomorrow. There was motion and felt like something from the future. Seeing the non nemo subs in motion with the people mover and the monorail was pretty awesome. I liked riding the PM because it was a good way to just chill and get great pictures and relax. The removal of the attraction is one of many mistakes for the land. I just hope they fix it. if it;s to be Star Wars at least I hope they do it on the scale of Carsland. The Rocket Rods were ok but so short lived I only rode them 4 times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast