Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Planning my next trip

Re: Peoplemover - What was it and why is it so popular today?

For a pretty cool backstory, find yourself a copy of Ford's Magic Skyway and the Peoplemover from the now defunct Extinct Attractions. I guess most of their product is considered contraband, so kinda hard to find.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Truthfully it seems to be something that people maybe remember being better then it was. When it closed at Disneyland (1995 ish?) there was NEVER any line for it. Even on the busiest day you could walk on and on slow days there would be three or four completely empty cars going around for every one car that had someone in it. Now, to be fair, I believe it might have had the highest guest capacity per hour of any attraction at Disneyland, however, there was a time when it was a 20-minute wait, so it had clearly declined in popularity. IF they bring it back they probably would need to change it up a little bit. I personally would like to see them do some kind of flying car type of attraction just to make it seem futuristic again. I do agree that Disneyland needs rides where people can just sit and relax for 15 minutes, and maybe today with the parks seemingly always crowded it would be more popular, but there was a good reason it went away.

You have a point but in my opinion the ride suffered from the loss of several of the attractions the ride was partially intended to highlight (Journey thru inner space, Circlevision/America the Beautiful & Carousel of progress).

I always enjoyed the ride just due to the refreshing views it offered of the park the same way many of us enjoyed the Skyway. I guess people need more "excitement" than they use to for rides, but in the late '60 the peoplemover was a trilling experience because it felt like "the future".

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Not only did the ride give the land life.....it had no wait and was a great way to take a ten minute rest in the parks while being entertained. Its the ride I wanted back the most and we might get it back...but at a cost...it will be themed to Star Wars...for no reason but $$$

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Not only did the ride give the land life.....it had no wait and was a great way to take a ten minute rest in the parks while being entertained. Its the ride I wanted back the most and we might get it back...but at a cost...it will be themed to Star Wars...for no reason but $$$
    Theoretically everything has to make money for it to be worth something these days and that's not just a Disney thing.

As for the peoplemover, I dunno as nice as it was to have it bring life into the land it wouldn't do much now since people just demand E tickets all over and honestly I just imagine if they ha it today that kids/families would use it as a means to text/facebook/twitter/social chat/whatever while being on a ride that doesn't go anywhere or do anything. A similar effect that a moving sidewalk can do. Now again I am not too sad that it's gone but it deserves better than people to go on just to not appreciate what it does.

everyone cites it as a good people eater attraction but that wouldn't matter if no one is hungry for the trip...

...As I see it

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    You have a point but in my opinion the ride suffered from the loss of several of the attractions the ride was partially intended to highlight (Journey thru inner space, Circlevision/America the Beautiful & Carousel of progress).
    They tried to mitigate that with the introduction of Superspeed Tunnel and then "Thru the World of Tron" which punched up the ride for the few minutes you passed through, but as a closed circuit it ended up being a high-capacity ride system *without* a ride attached to it. It's like being expected to ride an Omnimover for fun, without being shrunk to the size of an atom or touring a haunted mansion.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    It's like being expected to ride an Omnimover for fun, without being shrunk to the size of an atom or touring a haunted mansion.
    Who says this wouldn't be fun? :P

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Thank you for this!!

I was 5 in 1990 (technically 4.... I'm a december baby... anywho) THIS is the disney of my childhood! How i'd give anything to go back to it then! Not just to see it all but to also be that young and excited for life again! And not have to pay for my own stuff on vaca! haha

My dad has always appreciated the smaller things at the parks (his favorite thing in WDW: hall of presidents....) So as a kid we ALWAYS did Tiki Room, Lincoln, PM, the train, the monorail, etc.. non thrill rides mixed with the thrill rides.

As I got older and brought friends to the parks with me I realized no one my ages likes the non thrill rides and if you do you're weird. My husband falls asleep in the tiki room- but goes for me.. and only uses the train for transportation. Will only see Lincoln if my family is with us to make my dad happy.

When my little sister was born we used the PM as nap time... and since that was towards the end of its run if no one was waiting, and even if someone was, they would let us go around again to keep the baby nap going a bit longer. I loved the ride.

Its a ride for people who have been taught and raised to appreciate the little and sometimes slower things in life. If coasters are your only thing you want to do (like most people my age and younger) you would HATE the PM unless - as said above- you wanted to text/insta/facebook or nap.

Miss it .

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    I just love that music. :-)

Remember it well.

It was great for a bit of uninterrupted make-out time as a Southern California teenager as long as one didn't get too carried away.

Thanks for reminding me of the TRON tunnel.

PM was like that innocuous little Shoe that got Dipped in Roger Rabbit. Never gave trouble, just tried to please but bit the dust anyway. I don't think our modern FastPass world would appreciate it. (Or maybe we all need to slow down to a relaxing PM speed.)
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I remember the People Mover from my visits to the park in the 60s. The thrill of the ride is we lept from the rapidly spinning loading platform into our car (the things never stopped moving), clutching onto the hand rails and sitting low down in my seat as the cars raced down the track in their dangerous mad dash around Tomorrowland (there were a number of PM deaths where the violent motion of this fast paced attraction tossed hapless guests out onto the tracks), following that terrifyingly high and twisty concrete path in the sky.

Fast forward to the early 90s when I first took my wife to Disneyland. She had listened to my childhood tales of this killer of a ride, and was prepared for danger as we stepped onto the nearly stationary vehicle and held on closely to one another as the car crept along, approaching speeds of nearly 5 miles per hour in places. Never before in any 15 minute time span had I heard the words "you need therapy" repeated so often.

I miss the People Mover!

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Thanks again for all the responses. I only wish I could remember going on the ride.

As a follow up, again thinking objectively, how would the reintroduction of the ride be viewed and handled by the general Disneyland public today? Would it be well received? Would the ride be enough to get the general public excited for it? Would the thrill be enough for people?

• Dont make me unfriend you

Thanks for the video, SunsetLament. One of the first things I noticed on the video was how empty the ride was. But that could be because it was constantly loading and unloaded.

It was a great video to see Disneyland as it was when I was younger.

Thanks again
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Planning my next trip

Quote Originally Posted by socal05 View Post
    I just love that music. :-)

Remember it well.
    I have it on my iPod. Great soundtrack for walking around the neighborhood.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234