Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Peoplemover - What was it and why is it so popular today?

Just to preface this, but this is strictly a question on my part and not a commentary of the ride.

What was the Peoplemover and why is it so popular today?

I have read about it in Yesterland and would have ridden on it as a kid in the 80s but don't remember much about it.

As I understand it, it was a omnimover ride that slow rolled through a few attractions but was not a "thrill ride" in itself. Is that correct?

Other than the deep history of it, why do many look so fondly upon it and want its return?

I would appreciate any additional Disneyland education on the ride.

Thanks.

• Heavy Breather

Re: Peoplemover - What was it and why is it so popular today?

Well, it was sort of an omnimover style idea for future transportation.
    It took the riders on a circle tour of Tomorrowland and inside many of the attraction show buildings.

I think it was popular because you got to sit for a good 15 minutes and just enjoy the atmosphere for a little while.

Though I never rode it in person, it seemed like a great attraction, and it's still alive and thriving in the Magic Kingdoms Tomorrowland.

• UnExiled Minion

Lots of questions. i'll number them and answer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Just to preface this, but this is strictly a question on my part and not a commentary of the ride.

1. What was the Peoplemover and why is it so popular today?

I have read about it in Yesterland and would have ridden on it as a kid in the 80s but don't remember much about it.

2. As I understand it, it was a omnimover ride that slow rolled through a few attractions but was not a "thrill ride" in itself. Is that correct?

3. Other than the deep history of it, why do many look so fondly upon it and want its return?

Thanks.
    1. PeopleMover was an automated (no driver) transport system. It took you around the top of Tomorrowland, showed you glimpses of various attractions.

In the 1960's, moving people around without their (or anyone's) having to drive was a cool thing. We now have automated trains under Seattle and Denver airports. No one drives them. Cool. Downside to that is that it's not a "tomorrow" thing anymore. We also have Google trying to make automatic cars.
    it is popular today because the alternative, an unused track above Tomorrowland, sucks the whole imagination out of the guests. in short, people see it as "Disney is giving up on the future."
    2. Yes, that is correct. Nothing thrilling about it. That led some people to "make it more interesting," either by getting themselves injured or killed (getting out), or by getting busy (making out -- aka "the PeopleMaker"). Teens. Whatcha gonna do?
    3. See the latter of #2. And the latter of #1. Unused Track looks terrible. There used to be a lot of motion in Tomorrowland, with rockets flying overhead (not slightly above the ground) and PMs chugging around.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post

What was the Peoplemover and why is it so popular today?

As I understand it, it was a omnimover ride that slow rolled through a few attractions but was not a "thrill ride" in itself. Is that correct?

Other than the deep history of it, why do many look so fondly upon it and want its return?

Thanks.
    I'm not actually sure it was technically an "omnimover," although I guess that depends on your definition. Functionally it was pretty much identical to an omnimover ride like Haunted Mansion or Little Mermaid, but it had a different propulsion system. There were tires (hence the Goodyear sponsorship) every x feet that simply pushed the cars along at a predetermined speed, giving them enough power to reach the next tire. Also you got on the ride via a moving walkway that went the same speed, just like other omnimovers.

It definitely wasn't a thrill ride at all, it was a very calm and relaxing trip. Personally I loved it because it went in and around nearly every other attraction in Tomorrowland and you got some pretty amazing views. You'd see Star Tours, Space Mountain, the Monorail, the Subs, the Autopia, and a few other attractions along the way. The flipside of this is that it was visible basically anywhere in Tomorrowland and gave the area an awesome sense of energy and movement that is sadly lacking now.

A lot of people (myself included) are upset that it was removed to make way for the Rocket Rods which were basically a completely failed ride. They were only open for a bit and they weren't the best even when they were operational. So Peoplemover was removed basically for nothing, and now the track can be seen throughout the entire land with nothing on it. What once added an awesome sense of motion and energy to the entire area is nothing but unused infrastructure.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I remember it as a kid. It was always one of the first rides we went on. We used it to "scout out the area" and see how long lines were. Lots of good memories from the ride.

You climbed the stairs and there was a moving sidewalk. Then you entered the cars. Since it was constantly loading and unloading, there was never a line for it.

But not a thrill ride. For us as kids, the thrill was seeing Disneyland and deciding where to go next, making our plans for which rides and order to ride the Tomorrowland rides.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Foolish Mortal

I miss the PM badly. Like the others said, it was a great way to relax and get off your feet for awhile, all while enjoying a ride. My favorite part by far was the Tron tunnel! It made you feel like you were zooming along next to the light cycles! They had fans in the tunnel blowing to simulate the speed.

I loved the Peoplemover, largely for reasons already described. Technically it was not an Omnimover since that describes a specific kind of vehicle and track, which is that used by the Haunted Mansion, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, and, "back in the day," Adventure Thru Inner Space. The Peoplemover was just a train of cars being pushed along by wheels as described above. The vehicle didn't rotate the way an Omnimover does.

It was definitely a relaxing ride, and it had great atmosphere. It was terrific to see the park from above and get little glimpses of Adventure Thru Inner Space/Star Tours, the Starcade, and Space Mountain. And there was never, ever a long wait, even on busy days. The constant flow of vehicles along with the moving platform you used to board meant the ride had a very short wait. Usually you just got right on.

As mentioned above, it was definitely not a thrill ride, but as a kid I got thrills in the Superspeed Tunnel, and I loved it even more when it became the "World of Tron" tunnel. I miss the ride a lot.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The Peoplemover:

~Swallowed around 900 guests every 15 minutes....that's 900 people off Disneylands crowded walkways.

~Rarely had a significant line.....and when it did you could bet that the lines for everything else were far, far worse.

~Was part TL's kinetic energy...back then you had everything moving...Rocket Jets, Skyway, Subs, Motorboats(boarded in FL but they did visit TL en route), Autopias, etc.

~Nice way to take a 15 minute rest without having to search for a bench out of the sun.

~Exhibited a truly cool transportation system....the cars were motorless....physically speaking, the track provided the work.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former Churro Jockey

Truthfully it seems to be something that people maybe remember being better then it was. When it closed at Disneyland (1995 ish?) there was NEVER any line for it. Even on the busiest day you could walk on and on slow days there would be three or four completely empty cars going around for every one car that had someone in it. Now, to be fair, I believe it might have had the highest guest capacity per hour of any attraction at Disneyland, however, there was a time when it was a 20-minute wait, so it had clearly declined in popularity. IF they bring it back they probably would need to change it up a little bit. I personally would like to see them do some kind of flying car type of attraction just to make it seem futuristic again. I do agree that Disneyland needs rides where people can just sit and relax for 15 minutes, and maybe today with the parks seemingly always crowded it would be more popular, but there was a good reason it went away.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

It's popularity during its operation and now has a lot to do with what it brought to tomorrowland. The constant motion and optimisum of the ride added a lot to the area. It's track wound through tomorrowland gave views into all the offerings around tomorrowland on a leisurely restful ride. To me the reason it's so fondly remembered today is because people are terribly nostalgic about Disneyland. Removing and replacing the ride with an experience that rarely worked left a bad taste in fans mouth and now the old track is a constant reminder of that failure.

• Monorail Junkie

To me it is just retro and cool. Great memories of the ride. Just a very cool idea.

Well said.

I miss this ride a lot. Brings back memories of my childhood trips on it with my mom who recently passed away.

Back then people enjoyed and appreciated simple things.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Truthfully it seems to be something that people maybe remember being better then it was. When it closed at Disneyland (1995 ish?) there was NEVER any line for it. Even on the busiest day you could walk on and on slow days there would be three or four completely empty cars going around for every one car that had someone in it. Now, to be fair, I believe it might have had the highest guest capacity per hour of any attraction at Disneyland, however, there was a time when it was a 20-minute wait, so it had clearly declined in popularity. IF they bring it back they probably would need to change it up a little bit. I personally would like to see them do some kind of flying car type of attraction just to make it seem futuristic again. I do agree that Disneyland needs rides where people can just sit and relax for 15 minutes, and maybe today with the parks seemingly always crowded it would be more popular, but there was a good reason it went away.
    I think it went away for the same reason The Skyway, Submarine Voyage, Motor Boats, and Keel Boats went away.........Pressler couldn't sell plush toys based on those attractions.

Think about why the Monorail goes thru the Grand Californian Hotel but does not stop there........there are a dozen bad theories out there about why but the only one that makes perfect sense is that someone, somewhere, had every intention of getting rid of that ride too
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

To me the peoplemover was a way to kick back for a while. When I was a kid I remember going to the 'New Tomorrowland" in 68 and the PM was a way to see it all. As an adult, the ride was a way to kick back and be out of the crowds. You could relax, talk, and people watch.

Also, it did add that kinetic energy to Tomorrowland that is lacking now. Several people mentioned the Tron Tunnel but I never liked it. I like the original overview of the EPCOT model that was above the Carousel or Progress.

There are some good videos of the peoplemover (and rocket rods) on youtube. The avatar I'm using was taken in 1993 from the PM. Notice how TL seems more alive?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Banned User

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast