Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Indy Effect

• ~

Re: NEW Indy Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I totally dig the new effect, not sure about the voice though.
    Agreed. The new effect looks stellar--particularly the moment when Mara's eyes open! Wow! I really like that this not only looks great, but helps enforce this aspect of the story. Before, the guest's attention was certainly drawn to the deity, Mara being the main focus of the Hall of Promise, but there wasn't much of a reason that you would specifically look into Mara's eyes (I know that I certainly didn't). It just seemed to assume that you did to thicken the plot and keep the story progressing, which worked well enough, but I never found particularly convincing. This new effect, however, really draws attention directly to Mara's eyes in an effective and rather haunting way.

The voice, however, I'm not liking. The old voice seemed much more ominous, threatening, and mysterious and generally more in-tone with the attraction. This particular recording, while okay in parts, has an odd way of enunciating some of these phrases (I really hate the way that the speaker says "gates of doom") and a manner of speaking that just seems a little too dramatic and direct that detracts from some of the mystery surrounding the deity. I'm just not buying that voice of Mara. I think the Hall of Promise would be at its best if we took the old voice but kept this new effect.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

While I think the new effects on the face are cool and an upgrade....I really don't like the voice
    Before he was all intimidating and you could hear rage....this is more like some woman god (yeah I dont get why change the gods sex) and she just does seem to deliver the lines in a way that scare me

I'm sure some will like this new voice..but i know most my friends will be like meh...change it back to the cool voice

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It just sounds too young for me. It's a very modern guy voice. Not an ominous god of doom voice.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Sock Puppet

I am so, so confused about why they would change the voice. The new voice honestly sounds like it's meant to be a joke. I mean it sounds amateurish and like a comedic gag voiceover version that someone would do as a joke to put on youtube perhaps. I actually laughed at it the first time I watched the video. I don't understand how this benefits the attraction at all.

• Minion

The old voice sounded more frightening honestly. Please change it back. But I do like the new projection effect on Mara's face.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

he doesnt sound so much sinister anymore plus i liked the red eyes and smoke better.

• Filmmaker

A few things:

For the most part I LOVE the new projection mapping effects. It really enhances the mystical quality of it and I assume there's variations in the way the projection works based on the room you enter. Even if there aren't any variations yet, it wouldn't be difficult to program variations in.

That said, there is one thing about the projection that I dislike: the eyes. This is a neat idea on paper, and I admit it's entirely possible that a shaky YouTube video doesn't convey the effect properly, but from where I'm sitting now I dislike it. I think it comes across as silly and cartoony. I think the empty, unblinking eyes of the original version were more frightening. Again, though, it's entirely possible that this effect works way better live than it does in the video.

Finally, there is one thing about this that is absolutely terrible: the new voice. Why in god's name would they change the voice? I would understand if the projection mapping involved some kind of mouth movement so they could sync the audio to the video better, but it doesn't. It's just an arbitrary change that absolutely damages the effect of that scene. When Mara says "Gates of Doom" it sounds a bit the like Disneyland Announcer Guy.

Fortunately, this is all digital, so it's easy enough to tweak, and this is mostly a positive change. I'll have to see how I feel about the eyes when I'm there next, but that new voice can't be thrown out fast enough.

I am hoping beyond words that the "old" voice is just being remastered in HD. I can't honestly imagine that they intend this to be the permanent voice of Mara. From a booming, ominous, Indian voice to what literally sounds like a mid-20s British young man. Please be temporary. Please.

Lucky, as you said, it's easy to tweak this... With enough feedback (which I'm certain they'll get), the voice will make a comeback. Why change it anyway? It's not like Mara's mouth moves... So again, I'm hoping it's just a matter of them tweaking the original voice, because the new voice can't be serious. It's not even just a matter of "getting used to a change." This is a major misstep.

"NO! Foolish mortals! Youuu looked into my eyes! Your path now lies beyond the Gates of Doom! Muahaha!"
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Minion

The new voice doesn't sound as menacing and evil, but the new effect is seriously creepy and very cool.

With that being said, please change Mara's voice back.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    The new voice honestly sounds like it's meant to be a joke. I mean it sounds amateurish and like a comedic gag voiceover version that someone would do as a joke to put on youtube perhaps.
    Glad that I wasn't the only that thought this--when the video started, I actually thought that the audio was a guest reciting the dialogue along with the attraction and that the camera's microphone wasn't picking up the attraction's actual audio.

The face is awesome! but the voice..... fail

Someone said its just part of the limited time magic. so idk how making a bad voice is magic but hopefully they change it back and keep the face

Needless to say, the projection effect is amazing. But...

That voice doesn't fit at all. It sounds like something went wrong with the old recording (Oops! I accidentally deleted it!) and they quickly had some random person do a voice over until the original got fixed.

I hope, for the love of all things good, that the old voice comes back, SOON!

Also, since this was announced on the Disney Parks Blog as "Limited Time Magic", is the effect permanent and the LTM was just referring to the other things, or is this only here for a short time? I hope that voice is the only "Limited time" part of this.

• Minion

The effect is pretty cool, although I do agree with the poster above who said the eyes make it look a bit "cartoony".

The voice...Disney, are you kidding with this? It sounds just awful, and there was absolutely NO reason for a change like this. NONE. Please, tell me this is a Limited Time Magic "April Fool's Day in August" joke so we can all have a good laugh and you can put Mara's real voice back in.

• Minion

As bkroz stated, maybe if we complain enough, they'll change it back. Just like they did with Ariel's soft serve ice cream hair.

DISNEY, WE DON'T LIKE MARA'S NEW, BOYISH VOICE!!!! WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WERE THINKING, BUT PLEASE, CHANGE IT BACK!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast