Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Indy Effect

• Minion

Re: NEW Indy Effect

The effect: cool beans.

The voice: It sounds like a overly-dramatic teenager playing with his little brother's action figures for a joke youtube video.

• No Disassemble!

Looks great! Now if they could just fix all the other broken show effects we'd have ourselves quite an adventure.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Even with some of its effects being dodgy, it's one of the best dark rides on the planet and certainly a pinnacle of modern Imagineering - no denying that!
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

i agree. i love the new projection mapping but the voice should have been left alone.

I feel like the original voice WILL be back. No one in their right mind would accept that as the final voice, especially when the voice of Mara was absolutely perfect before. There's simply no reason to change it, which is why I believe it'll be back. This truly does sound last minute, and like it was probably a cast member. I can't imagine why they'd settle for that, but still. I'm worried, but hopeful that this'll be a big, relieving "phew" moment when it's back to the old voice this weekend... PLEASE.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Wow so funny that this got brought up.

Last night I rode it and the regular effect on Mara's face didn't work, and it was really dark in the room, but the voice was a little different. It was one of those things were you thought it might be broken since the voice was so dramatically different. It was muffled and weird.

Personally, the effect in the video looks great but I sure wish they kept the original voice.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 08-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.

• Inappropriate

The new effects are awesome. I prefer the old voice, but this new one does nothing to ruin the ride for me, just "meh" overall. But the projections! Woo!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

The skull room has been replaced with a gopher cave where a fridge flies over the truck.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Just a thought on the (new?) voice for a second.

Why did they feel that it needed to be changed? Some here have suggested they think the original voice track is being remastered, or isn't ready, but why would they need to remaster a digital sound file that sounds fine already? That theory doesn't make sense to me.

They could have simply added the effect and synched it to the already awesome voice track that it had. Am I crazy?

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Ah, I know now. I forgot to look at Disney Parks blog today and by looking at the video. The new effect on Mara's face is looking pretty good, but that voice is just...horrible. I think it is a temporary placeholder while they put the original voice back.

Here's one theory that I thought of.

Perhaps, the timing of the original voice track didn't quite fit with the effect. This is probably something that would have been figured out as the effect was being installed. If this is the case, then they could have put in the current voice track as a place holder while they either digitally edit the original so the timing is better (sounds simple but can be time consuming) or wait for the original voice artist to come in and re-record the lines. But, then that begs the question, why didn't they just wait to install the effect? I think the answer to that would probably be that Disney wanted this out as fast as possible so that they could market it as an "end of summer" LTM.

Again, just a theory.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Just a thought on the (new?) voice for a second.

Why did they feel that it needed to be changed? Some here have suggested they think the original voice track is being remastered, or isn't ready, but why would they need to remaster a digital sound file that sounds fine already? That theory doesn't make sense to me.
    Yeah, I'm having trouble with that theory too. Even if it was recorded on tape, it's not even a 20 year old recording yet, and the playback in the ride is almost certainly digital. I don't see any reason why there would need to be any sort of extensive remastering.

I think the more likely explanation is a classic case of not leaving well enough alone. This is more common with our friends down in Lake Buena Vista (see: CG Hitchhiking ghosts, interactive graveyards, the the whole MyMagic+ debacle), but it also creeps in at the Anaheim Parks (see: BVS shop windows). Considering that this is an easy (read: inexpensive) fix, hopefully guest backlash will make this go away quickly.

• Minion

Mara was way more interesting as an androgynous figure with a super deep voice. Weak delivery aside, the new voice takes away some of Mara's mystique.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• I'm a Lutheran

Dang, didn't get to check it out, and I was there all day. I'm really liking the new projection effect though.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• The doctor is in

I don't really like this. I like the old strobe effect and the old voice a lot more.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast