Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Re: If Disney created a ski resort, what would you imagine it to be like?

how about this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

I could see them doing something incorporating local materials (or at least things that look like local materials!) and traditions like at Aulani - just like how going to Aulani gives a little Disney touch to a vacation that a lot of people were already doing (Hawaii), I think a lot of people would love a little Disney tied to a family ski vacation. They would probably do it in an area that is more up and coming, again like Aulani. If the economy keeps getting better, I could actually see them doing DVC properties in a lot of areas where families frequently go on vacation - but skiing does kind of seem like a reasonable next step.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by beckramenoodles View Post
    Perhaps Disney could just chuck a hotel/resort near Whistler Village? They'd have A LOT of popularity up there..
    No, but they would follow the Intrawest(company that owns Whistler) model, or it could be said Intrawest has followed Disney's model.

They would own the full resort, the hotels, shopping and other amenities, all would have a single owner(Disney) and operate them or tenants would rent the locations.

As many suggest it must be a year round resort. That why DVC resorts are in warm locations not warm summer cold winter places. It would not need year round skiing. Ski areas that host skiing into the summer have tiny visitor numbers in July, and make profit in December like every other ski area with short seasons.

You need real summer activities such as golf, rafting, horse rides, mountain biking, alpine slides, zip lines.

Most importantly, convention space. Not only is hosting conventions profitable but it can fill hotel rooms any time of the year.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I agree with many of you guys! I'm really happy to see so much input in the thread. Thanks.

I feel like we would all be comfortable - and excited to see Disney creating a great recreational facility for a ski resort. I'm sure they would love to include a lot of spotlight events, many shows and it would be interesting to see them hosts festivals?!

FWIW, I just returned from DLR, where I was frequently besieged by survey-takers. Between my partner and I, we were probably approached ten different times over five days in the parks. On one of those occasions, I was asked directly about my interest in a Disney ski resort. Maybe the idea isn't completely Yesterland?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    On one of those occasions, I was asked directly about my interest in a Disney ski resort. Maybe the idea isn't completely Yesterland?

Well we do have Blizzard Beach over in WDW, a ski resort themed water park.

I think an inside dome type ski area could be a good addition to a Disney Resort. Just keep in mind those things are tiny compared to the closest ski areas to the metropolitan areas of California. They are basically only a football field sloped at an angle. You could add them to amenities list just like boat rentals or golf courses.

A problem is that they cost a lot to build from ground up, and a fortune to operate, because ice isn't cheap nor the AC to keep it cold. While skiing may sound expensive, $25 to $100 per day, ski domes don't attract the thousands to tens of thousands that real ski areas do.

Do want capital going to an ubder E-ticket added to a park, something along the lines of Indy or RSR, or a ski dome? Ski domes aren't cheap and may not be able to handle as much capacity.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12