Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If Disney created a ski resort, what would you imagine it to be like?

I realize that putting a question like this under the "Disneyland" forum column isn't the most appropriate, but I felt it would get the best response here. I feel like it is a large possibility in the far future, as they have thought of it before, but where would you place or design a resort by Disney? What attributes would a Disney ski resort have?

My thoughts were somewhere in British Columbia, not just because it's my native land, but in all seriousness it's perfect for year-round visitation, as well as a nice Canadian bond. I would assume they would create a new village near the hill and small attractions or possible shows for guests to view. They could of course have wonderfully themed dining - and I would make the assumption that it would be themed to the location or back story that Disney would create for the village.

These are just my assumptions that if Disney were to create this type of vacation resort, this is the route they would possibly go.

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: If Disney created a ski resort, what would you imagine it to be like?

Not sure if you knew of this. Or perhaps it actually inspired your question. Would have been cool if it had been built.

Walt Disney's Mineral King at Yesterland
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Monorail Junkie

Snowing and cold, then foresty and warm.

• Nutty about Disney parks

It would have to be located in an area that is a ski resort in the winter but still attract a high number of guests in the summer. A DVC resort similar to Aulani.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Maybe someplace with year round skiiing...

Timberline Oregon Ski Year Round On Mount Hood | The Brave Ski Mom
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

It would have the Country Bear Jamboree inside, and it would look and feel like the Grand Californian at DLR.

• Singing Drinker

I agree that for a "resort" property it'd have to be DVC.

For simple ski, I have visions of the indoor ski slope from Dubai, done Disney themed. I'm thinking Goofy stuck through a tree time here.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    It would have to be located in an area that is a ski resort in the winter but still attract a high number of guests in the summer. A DVC resort similar to Aulani.
    Big Bear? Arrowhead? Tahoe? Skiing in the winter, swimming in the summer. Not sure how temps are in other areas for summer activities. I'd want it to be a place where you could have a summertime water activities area. Maybe not a full blown water park, but something akin to the Disney Resort-level pools. A lake with a swimming beach & water sports rentals. And lots of xc ski trails for the winter, not just downhill runs. (Gee, can you tell I live a short distance from Lake Tahoe? LOL)

I wonder, though, if you could even build a full blown Disney-level 'all season' resort 'from scratch' in the mountains in these days. I'm sure there would be a lot of environmental hoops to jump through, not necessarily a bad thing, but would probably be cost-prohibitive. It would take a whole lot of land to build all the ski runs, etc. Maybe if Disney could find an established resort to buy & put their own stamp on.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It would have the Country Bear Jamboree inside, and it would look and feel like the Grand Californian at DLR.
    oooohh...I likey.

And for thrills they could have an actual Bobsled ride(with roll-bars, of course)

I think a ski resort would be a great fit for Disney (& i dont ski) its interesting to ponder what the company would have done with Mineral King and how this would have effected future development elsewhere (would we have got a Euro ski resort for instance?)

rather than a whole resort nowadays I suspect we'd see an Aluani style hotel / timeshare in an existing resort most probably with a swiss chalet theme

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Not sure if you knew of this. Or perhaps it actually inspired your question. Would have been cool if it had been built.

Walt Disney's Mineral King at Yesterland
    I came here to post this. Disney already designed a ski resort - Mineral King.

Walt's Lost Project- Mineral King

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    You've pretty much hit it on the head. The Country Bear Jamboree was originally designed as an attraction for Mineral King. And the concept art for Mineral King looks very much like the Grand Californian.

• Former Churro Jockey

i'd say that the Wilderness Lodge almost is a ski resort already, since it's supposed to represent a lodge in the mountains. It would have probably a lot of the same activities (awesome pool, cool restaurant with colorful staff, horseback riding, etc.) for summer time, plus skiing / snowboarding in the wintertime. Of course it would have to be DVC as others have said. And although it's not exactly the most ideal location in the world, Banff National Park would be where I would want to put it. It is one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been, and very underrated as a ski destination, although it is every bit as good as Whistler (where the last Winter Olympics were). At Lake Louise (which is frozen in winter), they build an ice castle in the middle of the frozen lake and sell hot chocolate and gingerbread to people who are ice skating, so I could see something similar at a Disney ski resort.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    I came here to post this. Disney already designed a ski resort - Mineral King.

Walt's Lost Project- Mineral King

You've pretty much hit it on the head. The Country Bear Jamboree was originally designed as an attraction for Mineral King. And the concept art for Mineral King looks very much like the Grand Californian.
    I was aware! I've always wondered how Mineral King would have panned out, and how it would be doing now.

Perhaps Disney could just chuck a hotel/resort near Whistler Village? They'd have A LOT of popularity up there..

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Ah, yes was there Snowboarding on the fourth of July.

The quality of a Ski Resort depends on the terrain and location, the fact it would be owned by Disney wouldn't change those limitations and would only bring larger crowds. Thus I hate to say it, but it probably wouldn't be better than the rest, maybe even worse.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^Good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast