Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why not 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

During the years I've browsed this forum, there is one thing that has become VERY clear to me. People are extremely passionate about the intended function of Tomorrowland: To offer a glimpse at future technologies. As such, when the Submarine Voyage was being resurrected with the Nemo theme, many posters were a bit miffed about the idea of a cartoon filled sea invading the futuristic land.

I, among others were cautious about the whole situation, but just happy to have the subs back. Six years after it's "resurfacing" it's clear that this ride is, in fact, a massive dud (to the diehards, at least). Imagineers already cleared the biggest hurtles that plagued the old ride, the need to continuously repaint the whole ride, along with the fact that the figures were completely submerged. It's like, the company waited nearly a decade to bring back this celebrated ride and quit halfway through. It.is.so...FRUSTRATING!

I've seen the suggestions that the Subs along with Autotopia be taken out, after all, this is PRIME real estate. However, I think it's clear to everyone that Disneyland does not have to get rid of the subs to build some amazing, futuristic ride. They can do all that with what they have! Thinking about this ride too much honestly makes me a little pissed off, because there is SO MUCH that can be done with the ride. The caverns are completely lined with glass. Disneyland could do ANYTHING in there. Their best, most lifelike animatronics would work PERFECTLY in there.

Forget Nemo, and don't go looking for Dory. Do you guys know what movie is currently in the works at Disney?

I'd imagine this will be a modern telling of the story, with cutting edge submersible technology that as of now, in 2013, we could only DREAM of. Sounds like Tomorrowland to me. Now, I know the possibility of the people high up in Disney management going for this over Nemo is a long shot, but just imagine what could be done.

Anyone familiar with the story knows that the story begins on a Navy ship Oh, imagine that, our Submarines are ALREADY military issue! Also, do you know what the purpose of their voyage was? To set out and find the creature that plagues the sea (which ends up being Nemo's Nautilus)! The layout of the ride works perfectly with the story. For crying out loud, the whole lagoon could be the setup and search for the creature, and the caverns the whole journey with Captain Nemo.

Picture the type of Squid Imagineering could create today, being that it would be completely safe and dry behind the glass! Imagineering could create their most advanced animatronic figures of Nemo, Land, and other ship members exploring the ocean, and we'd all be able to watch this from our vessel. I know this is a pipe dream, but I refuse to believe Disney is content to keep the ride as it is now over a long period of time.

I've always liked to imagine that some of the older guys like Tony Baxter jumped at the opportunity to do the Nemo overlay just so they could get the Subs back, but with the intention that an adequate overlay would take it's place.
    Last edited by C-HOX; 08-15-2013 at 05:15 AM.

• Filmmaker

Re: Why not 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

The 20,000 Leagues remake was cancelled.

Besides, the reality of it is is that Nemo is still a huge money maker for Disney and in their current corporate climate Nemo the fish trumps Nemo the captain.

But there is just one major flaw with the Submarine Lagoon...it is bloody expensive to maintain. Even if the animatronics were of the most advanced ones of the time, water can do a lot to animatronics and scenery. I am not trying to shoot down the thought however, I would love to see a return of the subs without Nemo in place, but the lagoon is just so costly to upkeep and takes up so much space.

An equally great idea would be something like employing the idea used over at Disneyland Paris, where instead of a submarine lagoon ride, they have a walkthrough attraction inside the Nautilus. The attraction and none of the animatronics would be under actual water, thus solving the maintenance issue of animatronics. It's all just behind a very think tank of water behind the glass windows, and using the correct lighting and visuals, one would believe that they are under water. In fact, a lot of people who go through that attraction believe they are actually under the lagoon, but they are in actuality somewhere else and not under the lagoon.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disney did a version of the Submarine Voyage themed to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and they put it in Fantasyland...

I don't usually do these flights of Imagineering fantasy, but my "perfect" 20,000 Leagues ride would have been built in the late 50s. The original sets from the movie on display at Disneyland would have been moved from their original building into a queue building shaped like the Nautilus so it looks like you're going into the Nautilus at port. You travel through it to a room with smaller Nautilus-inspired vehicles which you board. That's when the ride vehicles head into the lagoon, with mini-Nautiluses traveling around it and through the show building, returning to the Nautilus-shaped queue building at the end.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    The 20,000 Leagues remake was cancelled.

Besides, the reality of it is is that Nemo is still a huge money maker for Disney and in their current corporate climate Nemo the fish trumps Nemo the captain.
    Yup, pretty much.

The subs as they are feels underutilized. It's needs more a visual or a thrill element to put more umph in the ride other than just encountering Disney characters. Have you seen the Tokyo DisneySea version? That ride is quite the visual treat. Great lighting to make you feel like you're really visiting the depths of the sea and not just a fishtank.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Master Gracey's Music Man

It would be awesome to have 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in Disneyland, and I still have fond memories of it in Florida many years ago. The hauntingly beautiful atmoshpere combined with Captain Nemo's narration, timeless.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Former Churro Jockey

As much as I'd like to see something else, there is no way Disney gets rid of the Finding Nemo version with Finding Dory about to come out. I would think the earliest we might see something new would be about five years or so AFTER Finding Dory.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Cunning infiltrator

Finding Nemo is a great and all. But, I don't think Finding Nemo fits with Submarine Voyage to this day. I didn't know what Disney was thinking when they were reviving the decommissioned submarines. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has a pretty low repeatability. The finale of the ride still doesn't make sense and seems out of place. Having a 'live' whale use his/her blowhole to get the sub out of system, wouldn't that kill the whale? Anyway, I usually avoid riding Finding Nemo...the ride is still a disappointment and the current attraction is not a classic.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea won't make it. In fact, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be Finding Dory.

Pixar is suffering sequel syndrome, as much as I like good decent sequels, but I heard that Cars 2 wasn't so great, since I didn't watch the movie yet.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I don't usually do these flights of Imagineering fantasy, but my "perfect" 20,000 Leagues ride would have been built in the late 50s. The original sets from the movie on display at Disneyland would have been moved from their original building into a queue building shaped like the Nautilus so it looks like you're going into the Nautilus at port. You travel through it to a room with smaller Nautilus-inspired vehicles which you board. That's when the ride vehicles head into the lagoon, with mini-Nautiluses traveling around it and through the show building, returning to the Nautilus-shaped queue building at the end.
    This is not too far off from the premise of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at Tokyo DisneySEA. There is also the quite cool Les Mystères du Nautilus walk through at Disneyland Paris.

There's simply no way they're going to remove the Finding Nemo theme, awful as it may be. It's too popular. Honestly, even if they did remake 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, it'd probably be a terrible modern soulless CGI piece of crap that either wouldn't be a big success, or we wouldn't ever want to see adapted into a Disneyland ride, or both.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Pixar is suffering sequel syndrome...
    Exactly right.

Whether they like to admit it or not, Pixar has been absorbed by the Disney Corporation, a company which for years has suffered from advanced sequel syndrome -- a.k.a. sequelitis, cloneitis, quick buck syndrome and marketeering mange; all names for a corporate hardening of the creative arteries, narrowing of long term vision and loss of out-of-the-box thinking, accompanied by increasing innovation impotence. It is no surprise that Pixar, along with their (and Disney's) chief animation executive and top story man, are showing the symptoms of having contracted the same disease.

There are dozens of reasons for Disney to say no to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea -- all of them reasons that deny what Disney was and define what Disney is.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

The Nemo Subs only have one major flaw and that's the submarines themselves. It may have been a novelty in the 1950s, but the plus sized guests of today don't want to be crammed down in a tiny tin can for 15 minutes. They're cramped and their range of vision is terrible for any one over 12. They are probably also the most dangerous ride for evacuating guests during a breakdown (I believe they have to force guests to wear hard hats when exiting).

And the real tragedy of the Nemo subs is how much money they spent just to bring the subs themselves back. They were a personal favorite for a bunch of Imagineers who were more concerned with the vehicles than the actual content of the ride ( just like rocket rods).

That ride would be 100 times better if they took the sub's out and ran an omnimover through a glass tube.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    That ride would be 100 times better if they took the sub's out and ran an omnimover through a glass tube.
    No way. I've been on the EPCOT version and, while I don't really care for either, I much prefer Disneyland because of the subs.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I remember how deflated I felt when I watched the first video of the ride. The once vibrant lagoon was just empty! A couple of animatronics plus an old bass and clam are pretty much it. I mean seriously, do you think the imagineers were content with the way it turned out? It just seems like they gave up halfway.

I know they won't do a 20,000 Leagues ride, but man, there has to be something on the horizon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast