Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Re: Blame it on DOSH? major Space Mountain closure coming

IIRC they always seem to do at least a quick refurb on the water rides (Splash and Grizzly) in the winter so I wouldn't be surprised if either of those went offline for a few days, but I'm guessing they'd wait until at least the Haunted Mansion was open.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    It has been eight years since the last really major refurb for Space Mountain, maybe they will be doing repairs and finally installing what would be needed for a decent way to alternate between the day and night versions that were discussed in 2004-2005.
    I'm dearly hoping this is so - and that SW is not anywhere in the equation.

• world class bilge rat

Getting back to the original post here, as much as I generally dislike OSHA/DOSH, I doubt if they are solely responsible for the closing.

It's entirely possible though, that they found violations that they considered to be non imminent danger, and gave DL a time frame in which to comply, and possibly DL was planning a closure anyway to address other issues and moved it up because of DOSH.

If so, this is actually good; in my mind, it means that DL is learning how to handle DOSH, and therefore, DOSH might be easing up a bit.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Getting back to the original post here, as much as I generally dislike OSHA/DOSH, I doubt if they are solely responsible for the closing.

It's entirely possible though, that they found violations that they considered to be non imminent danger, and gave DL a time frame in which to comply, and possibly DL was planning a closure anyway to address other issues and moved it up because of DOSH.

If so, this is actually good; in my mind, it means that DL is learning how to handle DOSH, and therefore, DOSH might be easing up a bit.
    I agree. As someone pointed out, it's been eight years since Space had its huge renovation, and for a ride that gets as much wear and tear as SM does, that is a very long time. We've also seen a lot of posts here about things breaking down/not working correctly on the ride, burned out lights, peeling paint, broken TVs in the queue - there are a bundle of things they might want to repair that have absolutely nothing to do with OSHA. They might want to take the ride offline for a time just to address all of that without any interference from OSHA at all. If they had some concerns from DOSH to address as well - it's all bundled in together.

• Hot FIRE!

I have talked to my Leads and Managers and so far none of them have been told of us going down this holiday season. it would be odd for one the the most popular attractions to just be down for the peak season. I'd believe it more if they said we're going down just after that time but will see what happens.

...As I see it

• The doctor is in

I'm sure with the extension of BTMM they will delay Space Mountain. If the closure was safety related it would be closed asap. Seeing that they are waiting until November, I don't see why they couldn't delay it. At least until BTMM or RSR reopen.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Never be too sure. When I went in 2003 Space was closed for it's big overhaul and Big Thunder closed unexpectedly due to the fatal crash, but they still shut down Splash Mountain for a scheduled refurb. If the need is there, it will happen even if it means major rides will be shut down simultaneously.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Minion

Weird that it isn't on anything from Disney as official.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Seeker of Fun

How can 2 major E tickets be down during the busiest time of year? Since it doesn't seem to be immediate, why would they shut down Space while Big Thunder is delayed.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    How can 2 major E tickets be down during the busiest time of year? Since it doesn't seem to be immediate, why would they shut down Space while Big Thunder is delayed.
    The only place reporting that Big Thunder is delayed is Mice chat. Even Disneyland is reporting it will reopen on Oct 30th. As far as Space Mountain, it is only closed Nov. 4th according to Disneyland, not til Feb as reported here.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Seeker of Fun

The thing that worries me, is that Disney seems good at waiting until the last minute to announce closures, after many people have booked their trips. I realize some things can't be planned perfectly, but 2 major attractions going down during a major peak season seems odd. Or at least seems like bad show to me.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Mistress of Evil

It appears the SM refurb info was an error. Earlier this week, the recorded message stated it would be closed Nov and reopened in Jan. a few days later, they updated the message to only reflect removing the GG overlay on Nov 5th.
    it does not appear that it is closing for more than a day in Nov, so hopefully people can take a deep breath here.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    It appears the SM refurb info was an error. Earlier this week, the recorded message stated it would be closed Nov and reopened in Jan. a few days later, they updated the message to only reflect removing the GG overlay on Nov 5th.
    it does not appear that it is closing for more than a day in Nov, so hopefully people can take a deep breath here.
    Yep, a closure date of 11/4 - 11/4 had a typo of 11/4 - 1/14.... ANd away it ran...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123