Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MargyDisneylandLover

Re: Captain EO Closing (for refurbishment?) In September

a bit off topic but i called the Disneyland line the other day and it stated that space mountain will be closed right after Halloween (presumably to take off the overlay) til at least mid January...does anyone have any idea why so long?
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• The doctor is in

I was under the impression that Captain EO was closing for good and was going to be replaced with something else.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Minion

Perhaps they'll replace the 70mm film equipment with digital projection. Any new 3D film replacing Eo will be digitally produced and projected so it would be a step in that direction even if they don't end Eo's run entirely (and they can digitally fix the obvious misalignment errors in Eo along with it).

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Perhaps they'll replace the 70mm film equipment with digital projection. Any new 3D film replacing Eo will be digitally produced and projected so it would be a step in that direction even if they don't end Eo's run entirely (and they can digitally fix the obvious misalignment errors in Eo along with it).
    That sounds like the more plausible reason to me. But then again, attractions go under refurbishment every once in a while just for necessary cleaning and up keep.

• Parking Lot > DCA

It's time for EO to go.

I for one welcome a Rick Moranis tribute and would love to have Honey, I Shrunk the Audience return!

huh huh anyone? anyone?

• Minion

I hope Captain EO is closing permanently.

• Monorail Junkie

Capt EO closing, Space Mountain going down for a just over a month, I think they are doing something bigger.

• Insomniac

Captain EO closes for the installing of Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy doesn't it? I'm pretty sure that's all this.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Captain EO closes for the installing of Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy doesn't it? I'm pretty sure that's all this.
    I don't think so. The OP describes that EO is closed from Sept. 11 and beyond. If it was closed because of Space Mountain overlay, then it would reopen on Sept. 13 for the opening of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy.
    Last edited by frollofan; 08-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.

The re-opening date is now confirmed. EO is closed from Sep 11 - Nov 20. Pretty long closure for a 3D film. Could this be some testing for a replacement, followed by a quick re-opening for Christmas before it's final closure at the end of the year?
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    The re-opening date is now confirmed. EO is closed from Sep 11 - Nov 20. Pretty long closure for a 3D film. Could this be some testing for a replacement, followed by a quick re-opening for Christmas before it's final closure at the end of the year?
    Maybe it's more like the Rocket Rods supposedly coming back the spring after they were closed and then just never opening again. People will expect EO to reopen in November and November will come and go with no EO. The next thing you know, the theater will have sat empty for a decade.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I think its time for out with the old in with the new. It was a nice thought to bring it back in tribute but its time to move on.
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonawire View Post
    I am very happy that I have seen it many times and that it is a great memory for me.....but it really is time to update the space. I enjoyed that Captain EO captured the awesomeness of Micheal the singer/dancer and I am ready for them to move on for sure with bigger and better! Weeeee!
    I agree. My kids have been able to see MJ in Captain EO and can understand why their mother was a superfreak fan!! Oh, and they also so This Is It in the theatres. Time to move on though.

I'm glad that EO will soon see its last performance. That movie is very dated and it seems like such a large piece of real estate wasted for it.

i just wish that they would not put in a new 3d movie even if based on Star Wars. They really should consider re-developing that whole bottom section of tomorrow land.

If I was them I would start by gutting out the theater and maybe removing the roofline that was added when the theater was enclosed.

Next I would widen the pathway between the theater and the starcade so that it is just used as an exit walkway for Space mountain and restroom access.

The space mountain Marque would then be moved and placed near the entrance to the starcade allowing both floors to become a queue area for the roller coaster basically replacing the ramp on the opposite side. Space Mountain queue would then be concentrated inside this building and the original roofline of the building.

The magic eye theater would now go back to being an open air eatery with a real stage. The whole area would be Star Wars themed with live performances of the Star Wars cantina band as well as a relocated Jeti night training camp.

The kitchen area and order windows would once again be behind the theater like they were originally in the area where the fast pass machines are and building behind them.

Pizza port along with the large area behind it including area used by ramp would now be gutted and re-used as an attraction area.

I think that redoing this would help make the Space mountain building more visible as designed originally. It would also eliminate the clutter and wasteful use of the property and also make the Restauarant more centralized and close to the restrooms like it should be.

The property used by pizza port, innocent ions and skyway building could become an open canvas for new themed buildings for a huge attraction and possibly a themed store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast