• I'm a Lutheran

Three Break Downs? August 14, 2013

On my overnight vacation to DLR yesterday (even though I only live thirty minutes away haha), at least three attractions broke down while we were on them, including Space, Pinocchio, and HM. My brother and I were evacuated from Space RIGHT before the train leaves the loading area. The lights went on, they brought a little levy to pull us out, and we left; no free fast passes, but oh well.

While on Pinocchio, the ride stopped RIGHT when were passing through a set of crash-doors, jamming the doors. The lights went on and we were told to sit tight over the intercom. And of course, we were stuck in a creepy scene; Stromboli's wagon, right when we were beneath the giant birdcage. I HAD NEVER SEEN the dead marionettes in this scene. Seriously, there's a mangled marionette beneath Pinocchio's cage, and you can see the legs of another hanging...okay, they're probably not intended to appear dead, but it was creepy. It's interesting seeing how much of the ride is painted on canvas/wood, not to mention how simple the paintings and figures really are. Kudos to black-lights.

Eventually, cast members got to us and were laughing at our unfortunate position between the doors. They had to push our cart through so we could get out. Even then it was a tight squeeze. We were walked out through the first two scenes (sadly, I wish we could have seen the rest of the ride via walk through). I'm very curious as to why we had to stay on a certain side of the track...is there something wrong with the other side, or do they want to keep that open for cast members? I have to say, the coolest part of this was seeing the figures up close. It was EERIE being just centimeters away from the Pinocchio figure near the beginning. I was able to snap a picture of both him and Stromboli, but I can't figure out how to post them...anyways...

Life went on for a few hours, and we made our way to HM. Of course, it broke down while we were waiting in the foyer. They gave us the option of going away and coming back later, or to wait an unspecified amount of time until it came back. We waited, and in about ten minutes, the ride was up and running. The doom buggies stopped about three times during the ride to allow wheelchair-guests to board. However, in the graveyard, the ride literally stopped for a little over ten minutes. We're really not sure why, but again, it was cool seeing the animatronics a bit longer than we usually would have. We later found out from a friend that the park had undergone some random power surges earlier in the day, putting several rides and the hub out of power temporarily. Hmm. Interesting. We do know that Pinocchio had shutdown due to a problem with a vehicle. I'm assuming Space was a result of the power surge, and HM had something else wrong with it.

Miscellaneous Observations:

- The harmonica-playing raccoon is back on Splash. Unlike other animatronics, he's moving quite well, obviously the result of much maintenance in his absence. Unfortunately, Brer Bear still isn't moving, Mr. Bluebird doesn't move, the three cancan dancers aren't moving, one of the three alligators in the finale is still missing, the baby possums don't move, the handcar isn't running, many of the bees swirling around the beehives are motionless, thus revealing their wires, and the roadrunner is still missing. Some of the lights are out, too. One of the geese in the opening is hidden in darkness, the dog in the rowboat is barely visible (luckily, he's moving), Brer Turtle is hidden in darkness, and the brown chicken in the Laughing Place is hidden.

- The gorillas and baboons on the Jungle Cruise were broken, left either motionless or awkwardly looking down. The gorilla with the gun was frozen and looking downwards; his gun was still firing though haha. One detail I've come to appreciate are the eyes on the bull elephants. Wow. They're really creepy haha.

- The sheriff on Radiator Springs Racers is stuck. He's awkwardly leaning to the side in one position. His eyes and mouth still move though.

- This being my first time experiencing DCA 2.0, and I must say that it looks wonderful. Such a huge improvement in what we had just a few years ago. I really enjoyed Cars Land and Buena Vista Street in particular. And this was my first time riding Toy Story Midway Mania in a while; I had forgotten how fun it was.

- Star Tours is still going strong, and it still looks fresh. Although I've experienced every location (not every combination), this is the first time in a while that I've gotten something other than Hoth or Coruscant, so that was a plus. Darth Vader, Kashyyyk (probably spelled it wrong; even though I'm a huge fan), Leia, and Naboo may just be my new favorite combination.

- The deaf, old man is still missing from the Haunted Mansion. For the first time in a while, the attic lighting didn't ruin the sheet of glass in the grand hall. Nice. And I must say, the ghosts looked rather realistic yesterday. It brought a smile to my face when I heard my mom's voice notice a hidden detail for the first time. That's what makes HM so special.

- Didn't get to see the new effect on Indy. I'm going again this weekend, so hopefully I'll see it.

- Holly and Mia from Dance Moms were in line behind us on Pirates. Heck, they were even on the boat behind us, front row. As much as I wanted to take a picture with them and say hi, I didn't, because I'm sure they had been harassed by fans all day (we saw this happening). They were very polite though. When Holly bumped shoulders with my mom after Pirates, she apologized very politely. Awkward how they all look terrible on the show haha.

And that's really it. Regardless of the break downs, broken animatronics, and whatnot, it was a very fun trip. I'll still give it five out of five stars.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Re: Three Break Downs? August 14, 2013

post the pictures on an online image hosting site, like imgur for example. i'd really love to see them.

• Foolish Mortal

Thanks for the write up, and despite the mishaps, always nice to see a 5 out of 5 star review!

One time I got stuck on HM for about 10 minutes just after leaving the attic, and heading backwards into the graveyard. It was pretty awesome!

• Minion

You can upload pictures here -- even in the "Quick Reply" box. Click on the icon of the picture (if you hover over it it will say "Insert Image"), click the "From Computer" tab, click the "Select Files" button at the bottom and pick your file(s).

Thanks for this. I love seeing these type of trip reports, as it goes over minute details the main blog doesn't really cover.

I also wish I got evacuated off of rides more...any ride really. Thus far, I have only been evacuated off two; Radiator Springs Racers a little after meeting mater but before the Tractor Tipping scene, and Splash Mountain a little bit before the Zip a Dee Doo Dah finale. It was interesting for me to see some of the mechanical bits hidden from view by scenery, as well having a closer look at the animatronics. They actually seem smaller up close compared to viewing them from the log.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

A friend and I were in the GAC line for Indie and we were chatting with the cast member who told us that the entire west side of Disneyland Park lost power for about an hour or so. Generators exist and are there in the event of power failure, but are mainly there to ensure guests are safe in the attractions when power failure does occur. He told us that many attractions can take quite some time to get running properly (I.e Indy) because they run on a block system and many other variables need to be addressed before guests can be admitted back on. Even after the power failure was addressed, many of the attractions were "buggy" and were susceptible to more downtime.

And for the jungle scene with the gorilla camp, that may have been a duck sitting in front of the sensor, it happens pretty regularly. I assure you the gorillas are working, I was there tonight.

I am sorry that you experienced so many break downs on your trip....but how awesome to be THAT close to Pinnochio and be able to snap pics too! I am really going to have to pay attention to the limp puppets in the cage scene. I guess I have always been looking up during that scene and have not noticed them before!
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!