Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• DLR...

Re: The New Mara Voice

It almost seems like Variety assumed it was James Earl Jones, but maybe they were right. I always thought since I first heard Mara's voice that it was John Rhys Davies. If you listen to Mara's original voice closely, the laugh sounds a lot like John Rhys Davies and it would've made sense to have him talk for Mara since he was already so involved with the project. Any thoughts...?

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Here's my thought:

I hate this new voice, but it could be used as an advantage. What if they kept this new voice, to sort of be used as a "beckoning" call to the Hall of Promise. But as the curse is set in motion, the voice transforms into that ominous voice we know and love? It would definitely give that "Oh crap, we're screwed now" feeling.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• The Lucky Rabbit

I actually kind of like your idea DisneylandMaster. But I still agree that using the voice for the inner chamber scene is horrendous. But the visual effects are great. It might just be me but I actually like them in the order of the doors. Left most being the best, right most being ok.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

New voice is terrible, that is not a god to be feared voice.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

it's the giant boulder in the room!

i think if they have to keep the new voice, at least use the old voice for angry Mara "YOU LOOKED INTO MY EYE!"

Crazy how a lousy voice cancels out the improvements from such awesome new effects. The effeminate male voice induces laughter not fear. Even a female voice like Ursula would work... But the old one REALLY worked well and should come back if they can't replace it with something better.

• Former Churro Jockey

I saw it Monday night and I thought it was awesome. If you haven't seen it in person, I would definitely suggest you check it out live. I LOVE that Mara is now acknowledging that you did look into it's eyes and that it is now SCREAMING at you (and it is really loud, I'd say the loudest sound effect in any Disney ride of the top of my head). To me that really increases the drama and the intensity, and makes it clear that now you've got an angry god trying to kill you. I'm not sure that I trust Disney to pull this off, but if they could do it right, it might even be fun to add Mara's voice to one or two other parts of the ride as if it's chasing you throughout the whole thing. They have that big dead space between the main cave and the scene with the rats, so maybe add some fire effects or something and have Mara tell you that there is no escaping or something like that. They also have that scrim right as you exit the main cave where they have a generic skeleton ghost that screams as you drive under it. Replace that with Mara (or maybe just the eyes) and then continue the dialogue as you enter the next room.

BTW, if you really want to start a petition about something, I would sign one asking Disney to get Harrison Ford to be the actual voice of Indiana Jones.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    BTW, if you really want to start a petition about something, I would sign one asking Disney to get Harrison Ford to be the actual voice of Indiana Jones.
    A thousand times yes! Although I do have to say that after recently watching onboard videos of the ride, the Indy voice that's heard in the snake room and the AA that bids us farewell at the end of the ride does sound a lot like Ford.
    Last edited by WookieCookie; 08-21-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Also, the digital mapping effects are superb!
    Last edited by WookieCookie; 08-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the voice myself, I think the negativity is partially because we're all used to the old voice. Usually when we've known something for so long, we get used to it. When it changes, we have the natural reaction of hating it because it's different from what we are used to.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   

If you look up Mara the Buddhist God you will see "he" is an evil "Lord" with 3 daughters and so should have a male voice. He sent his 3 daughters to tempt the Buddha to give up his quest. Received this from an original Imagineering Indy Team member. Hope they get James Earl Jones contract extended to voice this part and put it back. I remember when they replaced Lincoln's voice done by Royal Dano, whom Walt had personally selected for the character. Disney Legend Tony Baxter was able to get it returned after it had been replaced. Maybe he can do so with Mara, as Indy was one of his creations at Disneyland.

•   

Okay let me clarify i met the new girl and yes girl who does maras voice and she did it in person for me and it actually sounded really good. I hate to break it to you but complaining about it isn't going to fix it and to my knowledge this is a permanent change

• The Pumpkin King

I dont know how anyone can think the voice is good or ok.

The voice is terrible. It totally ruins the seriousness. It actually makes me laugh.

If they wont bring the old voice back, then get someone else to do it.

The original voice was perfect.

Indiana Jones Adventure - Hall of Promise - YouTube

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Observatory of the Future Room Audio - YouTube

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Chamber of Earthly Riches Room Audio - YouTube

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Fountain of Eternal Youth Room Audio - YouTube

• Singing Drinker

I think the best you're going to get is complaining until they promise to "study" the issue, then in six months when the only mention is on the darker corner of boards like this it'll all be dropped and the voice will continue as it is now.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    Okay let me clarify i met the new girl and yes girl who does maras voice and she did it in person for me and it actually sounded really good. I hate to break it to you but complaining about it isn't going to fix it and to my knowledge this is a permanent change
    Ever hear about how complaining made Microsoft change the WHOLE idea of the new Xbox...it happen...if fans are loud enough about it...things sometimes happen

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast