Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Controvery Over New Route for DLR's Coming Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I still think the streetcar is the most complex and expensive of the options they had, and I'm not quite sure the project is going to pan out the way their numbers suggest.
    Especially if the streetcar stop for Disneyland is three blocks away at GardenWalk, instead of where the current IHOP is now.

Seriously, why even bother building a streetcar for the Anaheim Resort District if you can't even get a station in front of the Disneyland main entrance on Harbor Blvd.? Why the heck wouldn't Disney want a stop on Harbor in front of the park???

And how the heck was this concept even approved with the "Disneyland" station three blocks away from the park entrance on Disney Way near GardenWalk?

Which hotel would have to go , the Park Vue ?

Re: Controversy Over New Route for DLR's Coming Streetcar

Maybe Disney has decided to let the City of Anaheim pay for the government sanctioned harassment they've received at the hands of DOSH.

Millions of dollars in needless retrofits and railings along with tons of guest inconvenience and bad will all so worthless, overpaid bureaucrats at DOSH can justify their existence.

This is politics folks and politics is about power plays. Disney is just exercising one, hate the game not the player.

• Observer

How do u think disney makes it? Disney may make a lot of money off its parks, but that money goes into maintaining the parks, paying the cast members, if u want disney to pay, then don't ask for new rides, updates, lavish free events, new lands or parks. Expect them to gauge you the park goers to try to make up the money

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by g24t View Post
    they're going to demolish the ihop on harbor?? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!
    dont touch that taco bell yo!!!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    They're going to demolish the IHOP on Harbor?? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Yeah I'm with you on this.....heck I don't want one less hotel either just means less rooms for people to stay in

While I get why Disney wants this...either pay out of your own pocket to maybe use some of your own land for this...don't close down two businesses for a bus stop

What exactly is at Katella/Haster to merit a stop? KLot? Access to a 3rd park...still kind of far.

• Banned User

A lot of businesses are having input with regards to the streetcar, and Anaheim expects to profit from the streetcar, so the city decided to put one in. Overhead wires are ugly, and it seems that Disney is forcing Anaheim to make the right decision with regards to longterm aesthetics of the project. After all, DLR is a major tourism center, and improvements around the resort's perimeter probably help garner more return visits.

It's ironic that in DCA they put up fake trolley wires, and then for the streetcar they are going to pay extra to hide real trolley wires.

Fans should be overjoyed that the remainder of the Timon Parking lot isn't going to be used for a streetcar station, saving it for an expansion of Carsland. Remember the Drive-In theatre/restaurant concept? They could fit that in there and also a D/C ticket, maybe two if they get really creative.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonCM View Post
    What exactly is at Katella/Haster to merit a stop? KLot? Access to a 3rd park...still kind of far.
    I kinda think a third gate is coming much sooner rather than later. The streetcar project would facilitate such a project as the Katella/Haster stop would allow walking access to the third gate. I don't think its a coincidence that both of these stops are on the 3rd gate side of Harbor. A walkway over Harbor is much needed anyway, for the Disneyland/DCA traffic.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.

I think most of this Disney "meddling" is actually from the Anaheim Resort District master plan. Businesses agreed for standardized signs, expanded green ways and the removal of most of the major power lines within the district. Things related to the streetcar, like the overhead lines would go against the master plan adding to its overall cost.

Folks going after Disney to pay for it have to realize that families have been and will continue to go to Disneyland with or without the streetcar. No one is going to cancel a vacation because the streetcar doesn't go to Disneyland, so why should Disney be forced to pay for it? More likely local businesses stand to benefit more from foot traffic than Disney seeing some uptick in attendance.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    And how the heck was this concept even approved with the "Disneyland" station three blocks away from the park entrance on Disney Way near GardenWalk?
    Disney already had plans to get Disney from the Pumba Parking Garage too the resort. The station was also a midpoint between the current DLR and north entrance to the future 3rd gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Which hotel would have to go , the Park Vue ?
    Yes, which is strange as it seems like Denny's and the Del Sol Inn would of been a far cheaper and simple option. Talking something like 100 feet further and saving millions.

Haster is chosen because it's a huge volume of traffic on that road. Allows and intermodal station with a big bus line. Haster is planned to be the next huge traffic connection to DLR and the Convention Center. Being widened and accessed from I5.

It has been a question if Disney would make a entrance into the 3rd gate near it. They have an awkwardly shaped lot to build on.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Banned User

Folks going after Disney to pay for it have to realize that families have been and will continue to go to Disneyland with or without the streetcar.
    I think I read that for the plan to be feasible, there has to be a stop at the pedestrian entrance to the esplanade off of Harbor, a lot of families would be p.o.'d if they got off at a combined Anaheim Convention Center/Disneyland stop and had to walk up to Disneyland from there. It isn't any secret that the city hopes to make money over time, off of the streetcar's access to Disneyland. It will eventually be a steady, yet modest, cash cow for the city after the costs are paid off, and when you look at more tax dollars and business for the community, kinda makes sense.

Disney can afford $30 million . . . if a project makes sense, every decision of that magnitude has to make sense to the shareholders. Can't just hand out $30 million to make the Anaheim City Council feel rosy about the project.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Haster is planned to be the next huge traffic connection to DLR and the Convention Center. Being widened and accessed from I5.

It has been a question if Disney would make a entrance into the 3rd gate near it. They have an awkwardly shaped lot to build on.
    I-5 access to Haster? Katella already has an on/off ramp to I-5, and Haster doesn't connect to the convention center or Disneyland. Could they even built an I-5 connection to Haster without demolish the Katella on and off ramps?

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

Yes, which is strange as it seems like Denny's and the Del Sol Inn would of been a far cheaper and simple option. Talking something like 100 feet further and saving millions.
    There's already so much foot traffic down Harbor, having the foot traffic from the rail station go from the IHOP over to Disneyland means less crowding. Not sure why buying the Denny's vs. IHOP on eminent domain grounds would be cheaper.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Especially if the streetcar stop for Disneyland is three blocks away at GardenWalk, instead of where the current IHOP is now.

Seriously, why even bother building a streetcar for the Anaheim Resort District if you can't even get a station in front of the Disneyland main entrance on Harbor Blvd.? Why the heck wouldn't Disney want a stop on Harbor in front of the park???

My guess would be restrictions due to federal funding. As far as I am aware, federally funded transportation projects cannot be tourism oriented.

• Loving all things Disney!

Which hotel would be the one they would be demolishing? And would the IHOP be the one nearest Disneyland, or would it be the one on down the street (1840 S Harbor Blvd)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast