Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Senior Minion

Re: Controversy Over New Route for DLR's Coming Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was an article here on MiceAge a few years ago that Disney was being prevented by the city from building the much-needed parking structure where the Pumbaa lot is now because they had to wait until the city started building the streetcar system so that their could be a stop at the Pumbaa lot. According to that article, Disney was not happy about the that at all and didn't want a stop at the parking lot. So I would definitely take this news article with a grain of salt. It cited a blogger as it's source, not someone from Disney or the City of Anaheim, so there may be more to the story then what was reported here.

Also, as an aside, I still don't believe that the streetcar is ever going to be built. It costs too much money, there is too much red tape, too much bickering among politicians who are only looking out for themselves, and in the end, it may end up creating more traffic problems then it solves.
    The article cited the blogger as the source regarding Disney's influence over thee project. The modified route however is not a rumor, it has been voted on already by the City Council. Could the project still get canceled? Sure. But right now it seems to be happening.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The article cited the blogger as the source regarding Disney's influence over thee project. The modified route however is not a rumor, it has been voted on already by the City Council. Could the project still get canceled? Sure. But right now it seems to be happening.
    Have we had any decisions on the route?

I have not seen anyone post an update to this, but I found this article from October 9th, 2013 in the Orange County Register: Anaheim Considers Disney-Area Streetcars. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...treetcars.html

Here's the Cliff Notes:

* the streetcars would be all-enclosed, like the ones they have in Europe or Portland Oregon. Meaning they would not look like the Red Car Trolleys in DCA but more like trains.

* they would build this giant transportation hub thing called "ARTIC" that would connect the street cars to the train line that's near Angel Stadium...and then the streetcars would carry people to Disneyland and to the Convention center with like two other stops. ARTIC doesn't mean it's going to be really well-air-conditioned, but is just "Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center"

* the streetcars would go mostly on Katella

* they thought about doing a Monorail, but it would cost 2.5 times as much and was thus too expensive. They want to spend about $300 million for the streetcars.

* 10 streetcars would run on the tracks and it would take 18 minutes to get from one end of the track to the other. It would be like 3.2 miles

* Name:  mbop1f-mbop1aplatinumstreetcar.gif
Views: 248
Size:  42.8 KB

* One City councilman is fighting the streetcars because he says buses are cheaper in the short term (they would cost $53 million)

* "The streetcar tracks would be built along Katella Avenue between Douglass Road and Haster Street and along Harbor Boulevard, between Disney Way and Convention Center Drive. The streetcars would run in the far-right lanes of city streets and would run amid car traffic." -- direct quote from the article about where exactly this would be.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank you (excellent analysis) but I meant for a very specific part of the alignment near the Pumbaa lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thank you (excellent analysis) but I meant for a very specific part of the alignment near the Pumbaa lot.
    Are you good with using Google Earth? I can't get it to take a screengrab on my computer. But if you take Google Earth and line up that map from the newspaper of where the streetcar route will go, it should show you where it would be in relation to Pumbaa.

I don't know how to do a link to Google Earth on here. I just opened it and typed in Disneyland Anaheim and it showed me the park and I can trace the streetcar line with my finger because I can see where the Angels Stadium is in relation to the park. I just don't know how to draw the lines and stuff on it.

I am not that good with computers because usually my husband does the computer stuff.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There's some question over whether it travels north or south of this lot and where the stations go, and how that affects the Pimbaa lot redevelopment. Scroll up, it was discussed here.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

ARTIC is currently under construction. If I understand it correctly, ARTIC will be the new Amtrak/Metrolink station for Anaheim, replacing the current station at Angel Stadium. I am guessing that the current train station will be repurposed as a light rail station now for people going to and from Angel Stadium for games or concerts.

• Indiana Scott

The article posted by the OP just said "...a restaurant and hotel...". It didn't say IHOP (unless I missed it?) so it could just as easily be Capt. Kids that's being torn out. If someone has more official info I'd love to see it.

• Minion

They building a new hotel on that corner (Katella & Harbour) next to ihop plus the hotel my family likes to stay at is red lion which is on the other side of that ihop they just renovated a few years ago and is a very nice hotel hopefully they dont take it down. :/

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Established 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    They building a new hotel on that corner (Katella & Harbour) next to ihop plus the hotel my family likes to stay at is red lion which is on the other side of that ihop they just renovated a few years ago and is a very nice hotel hopefully they dont take it down. :/
    I'm pretty sure the ihop in question is the one further up Harbor, directly across from the Transportation Center.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    If you take a look at the map above, you'll see that's not the IHOP and hotel they're talking about so your family vacations are safe!

Re: Controvery Over New Route for DLR's Coming Streetcar

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Haha! Perhaps she'll make a comeback!
    I agree wif that
    "Nice work, pal"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Hopefully Disney will be asked for input in the styling of the streetcars. If they're not retro, perhaps streamlined like the new fleet of monorails.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234