Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I just have a horrific fear of queues and long wait times. Can I get a GAC?

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think this legitimately qualifies for a GAC. The panic attack aspect maybe but I would assume they have to be really severe and if yours are just related to the bee phobia, I don't think it really fits the purpose of a GAC. The bee phobia probably doesn't qualify because I don't think there is really a bee free area unless you're indoors and not every queue has an indoor waiting area. My best advice if you want to shorten a line is to utilize the FP... or try to visit when most of the flowers aren't in full bloom.

I am not good with bees, or flying insects in general, and have never had an issue at Disneyland in all the years I have been visiting. I don't even think I've ever noticed a large amount of bees in the parks. I think the amount of people in the park at all times decreases the amount. I stay away from a lot of the garden areas and if I'm in a line and am around flowers, I just keep aware of my surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think this legitimately qualifies for a GAC.

I believe doppio had is tongue firmly implanted in his cheek so I wouldn't worry about being rude.

i have been to disneyland many times and have never had a bee come too close. the birds will dive bomb guests though.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Personally, I don't feel Disney should be giving special consideration to guests who suffer from irrational fears and it is this kind of thing that has caused the abuse and negative feelings toward GAP.
    Truth.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Personally, I don't feel Disney should be giving special consideration to guests who suffer from irrational fears and it is this kind of thing that has caused the abuse and negative feelings toward GAP.
    Psychological conditions like panic attacks can be so severe sometimes that they're confused with heart attacks. They're just as valid and just as debilitating as any other medical condition.

IMHO it's best for the OP to go to City Hall, tell them what her needs are, and let them judge whether they think it warrants a GAC. She does have documentation from a doctor. Keep in mind that her GAC might just give her a place to wait indoors (for the same amount of time) for an attraction or a time to come back to board a ride; not a green light-front-of-queue pass. There are all different types of GACs.
    Last edited by Malina; 08-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Blew By You

Definitely ask at City Hall or Chamber of Commerce at DCA.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    Heck, I've heard of people getting GACs for being lactose intolerant, so I think your odds are pretty good!
    Not sure if you are being serious or not but what the heck would a GAC do for being lactose intolerant?

this is GAC abuse.

Disney may agree to give it to you, but still i consider this one of the reasons that GAC consideration needs some internal reform.

i'm sure you can trudge through your phobias here.

A guest must have a certain level of physical and mental health to partake of certain attractions.

Pregnant women, people with high blood pressure or heart conditions have to avoid roller coasters and heavy motion attractions. If a guest cannot do something as simple as wait in an outdoor cue without going into a panic attack then those attractions are probably not for them.

Using melissophobia as an excuse for a GAC is definitely abusing the system. We all have fears and phobias of different kinds but don't need to skip waiting in line because of them. Sorry, I think it's just silly...

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    this is GAC abuse.

Disney may agree to give it to you, but still i consider this one of the reasons that GAC consideration needs some internal reform.

i'm sure you can trudge through your phobias here.
    I have a fear of large rooms which I think was caused by being mistakenly locked inside of a dark empty church sanctuary for two hours when I was a small child. Not sure what the phobia is called, but being inside any large sporting venue like the Staples center makes me feel uneasy. Once while on It's A Small World the ride stopped for about 20 minutes and I started obsessing about the size of the show building as I looked up at the ceiling. But like you said, these things are manageable and you do just "trudge" through them as you mentioned. I personally don't think they are sufficiently debilitating to require a special pass unless the person who has the issue is autistic and not capable of controlling their emotions--- and then by all means I think they should be afforded some extra consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I just have a horrific fear of queues and long wait times. Can I get a GAC?
    Lol lol lol! This made my day.

As your for the Op's fear of bees, I'm not exactly sure how city hall may be able to help you since most queues are outdoors and they don't really control where the bees are and what they do...
    As for these panic attacks you say require medication: I don't mean sound harsh; but maybe an amusement park with large crowds, long queues, thrill rides, lots of noise and other stimuli isn't the place place for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Psychological conditions like panic attacks can be so severe sometimes that they're confused with heart attacks. They're just as valid and just as debilitating as any other medical condition.

Shouldn't be on rides at all then. That's posted all over the park. Panic attacks even makes things like Pirates, HM, Small World off limits due to length (10+ minutes), let alone super confined rides like any of the classic FL dark rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice, Mr. Toad, etc.

Skipping ahead in line to go on something that may trigger such a major event is pure insanity.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Shouldn't be on rides at all then. That's posted all over the park. Panic attacks even makes things like Pirates, HM, Small World off limits due to length (10+ minutes), let alone super confined rides like any of the classic FL dark rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice, Mr. Toad, etc.

Skipping ahead in line to go on something that may trigger such a major event is pure insanity.
    It's been pointed out that GACs come in all varieties and don't always (or often) signify "skipping ahead in line." With a GAC for XPS (a photosensitivity disease) for instance, you usually get either a place to sit for the length of the standby line or a ticket to come back at a certain time (again, usually the standby wait). With other types of GACS you end up waiting even longer than standby because of safety rules (ie, only a certain number of disabled can be allowed on the ride at one time) or because there's only one vehicle for disabled guests (like Space Mountain).

In addition panic attacks usually have very specific triggers that are unique to the sufferer, so no, all of those rides might not be off limits. The OP would know what triggers her. That is for City Hall to decide too. It saddens me that people here seem to think that someone with a mental/psychological disorder that can be helped by a GAC shouldn't have that chance. I can't see how someone who is sitting in a hallway for an hour, instead of standing for an hour in a queue, so they can ride something at Disneyland hurts anyone else at all.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post

I have panic attacks and I can ride pretty much every ride no problem in both parks, the only 2 rides that have ever successfully caused me to have a panic attack are Mickeys Death wheel, and Tower of Terror. No other ride, and I have been on them all, has ever caused an issue.

Just because someone has panic attacks does not mean all rides will be off limits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast