Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I can't see how someone who is sitting in a hallway for an hour, instead of standing for an hour in a queue, so they can ride something at Disneyland hurts anyone else at all.

Anytime Disney has to provide special accommodations to a guest, that uses Disney resources that could benefit all guests. The more guests that they have to give special accommodations to, the more resources that are used. That is one of the reasons why the GAP is out of control right now, just too many people using it that really shouldn't be.

I know I am being harsh and will be neg repped and called a jerk for saying this but at a certain point I (and I'm sure many others) just get a little fed up with the "p***yfication of society. It's ironic in that we have a park that celebrates the incredible bravery and self sacrifice of people who pioneered the west, explored space and a courageous statesman who freed men from bondage. But that same park has to offer special accommodation to a person who can't stand in a line without going into an attack for fear of honey bees.
    Last edited by Mortgageman; 08-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Anytime Disney has to provide special accommodations to a guest, that uses Disney resources that could benefit all guests. The more guests that they have to give special accommodations to, the more resources that are used. That is one of the reasons why the GAP is out of control right now, just too many people using it that really shouldn't be.
    Unless you've walked in that person's shoes, how can you judge how "deserving" that person should be of a GAC? Is a disease or condition any less valid because it is something that is ridiculed, misunderstood or emotional rather than physical? And should Disney only be for those who are 100% able-bodied, 100% healthy emotionally and physically and able to do every single thing? Whether a person is sitting on a bench outside Star Tours or inside Star Tours with a GAC she is taking up the same space and resources.

If Disney is helping those who might otherwise be unable to enjoy the park - I'm sorry, I can't see that as a bad thing. This OP isn't looking to jump a queue (since her GAC won't really offer her that ability), get a discount, bring 10 friends along, sell her GAC services or do anything else that would constitute abuse. She has a mental condition - and she stated that her panic attacks were SEPARATE from the bee issue - that Disney can help with. It's not going to give her "special treatment" and in fact it's going to hold her up at some of the lines. She might end up waiting 45 minutes for a ride that only has a 20 minute wait for you.

If the founders of the park stood for anything I would think it was accepting all despite their differences.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post

I know I am being harsh and will be neg repped and called a jerk for saying this but at a certain point I (and I'm sure many others) just get a little fed up with the "p***yfication of society. It's ironic in that we have a park that celebrates the incredible bravery and self sacrifice of people who pioneered the west, explored space and a courageous statesman who freed men from bondage. But that same park has to offer special accommodation to a person who can't stand in a line without going into an attack for fear of honey bees.
    yep, spot on. i know this is a different topic, but i think you can actually draw parallels from this to the economic and political climate of America at the moment. there's too many people in the wagon and not enough people pushing the wagon. i think that applies to the current GAC situation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    She has a mental condition - and she stated that her panic attacks were SEPARATE from the bee issue - that Disney can help with. It's not going to give her "special treatment"
    how so? i don't see any situation here where she wouldn't get "special treatment" assuming she obtained a GAC.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    how so? i don't see any situation here where she wouldn't get "special treatment" assuming she obtained a GAC.
    So, instead of waiting in the standard queue for Pirates for 20 mins. she will wait 30-40 mins in the HA queue for Pirates. How is she getting special treatment?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Some of the comments in this thread is a good example of the uphill battle those with mental health issues have, and the intense stigma people face from the general public.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    So, instead of waiting in the standard queue for Pirates for 20 mins. she will wait 30-40 mins in the HA queue for Pirates. How is she getting special treatment?
    Wait, why would she have to wait so long in the HA queue? She doesn't have a physical issue necessitating a wheelchair- or ECV-to-boat transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    she would be getting special treatment because the average guest would be waiting in a different queue and for a different amount of time. quite obvious to be frank. i think you may be under the impression that the term "special treatment" means better treatment.

• Perfect Insanity

If someone is so scared of bees then it wouldn't matter if you are waiting in the lines or not. They will be in many places flying around. Heck I had one fall from a tree in DL near the wait board. I have never been stung in my life. I had thought it was a leaf in my hair or I wouldn't have touched it. I was across from first aid and they took care of me but after hearing that the 2nd time stung is when you find out you are allergic or not I am more careful around bees. I don't freak out or anything just watch what they are doing when I'm in lines or certain areas. Even walking down the street they pop up. So really no matter what they are hard to escape unless inside at all times. But who wants to live inside all the time right? I do not think a GAC is needed for that but that is my opinion. Especially when as was mentioned you have rides like IASW that are outside near where they land at times or Storybook Land where outside the whole time. Even with a GAC its not like you won't wait outside too since there are still many lines that are outdoors. I think the best thing to do is if you have such a hard time with bees is maybe go in the late fall/winter time. Go when its overcast and cold since bees hate the cold. Go when its raining or just even a sprinkle out. Its a good way to avoid the bees and really DL is fun during those times as well.

• Loving all things Disney!

Just thinking about it, I have never once seen a bee in Disney. Heck, I haven't even seen a mosquito! I don't think that Melissophobia qualifies for a GAC...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123