Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: red card given by a cast member...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    These cards have an RFID chip in them. The cast member scans it before giving it to you (usually the RFID beeps like crazy when it's time to recalculate) you then take it through the line and give it to a cast member at the end where he/she will scan it again. The systems then calculate the time it took you and then updates the wait time.
    RFID is tickets (or magic bands) will make these red cards obsolete.
    Disney will be able to track wait times for every guest at every attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    RFID is tickets (or magic bands) will make these red cards obsolete.
    Disney will be able to track wait times for every guest at every attraction.
    Which is actually wonderful for everyone.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Which is actually wonderful for everyone.
    Meh. I *prefer* having my time at the parks be random and not tracked. I leave my phone at home (or off) and figure that noone at the park - myself included - really needs to know where I am at 24/7.

It's wonderful for bean counters. Guest experience it's mainly useful for figuring out what benefits they can clip off the edges of the experience to cut a few more pennies off the budget.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I was handed one of those cards when I went to ride Peoplemover yesterday at WDW... and there was pretty much NO line.

I seem to get those cards handed to me quite a bit. Sometimes I think about keeping one as a souvenir, but then decide against it.

• Zephyr Pilot

They retroactively check wait time accuracy so they can see patterns of over- or underestimating the approximate wait time. They're not used to update the current wait time, which wouldn't make sense to do so when you think about it. They're supposed to be sent a certain number of times per hour from different points in line (stand-by or Fastpass), no matter what the wait.

• Former Churro Jockey

When the RFID bands come I hope that Disney creates their own app to view wait times, since they would now be up-to-the-second accurate. Mousewait is the best one I've found so far, but of course it's not perfect because there are times where no one is using it who is in line for a particular ride.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Funny thing is more for Internal use (staffing levels, etc) than the "wait time" signs... Disney "Wait Times" usually lie to move crowds around the park.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    When the RFID bands come I hope that Disney creates their own app to view wait times, since they would now be up-to-the-second accurate. Mousewait is the best one I've found so far, but of course it's not perfect because there are times where no one is using it who is in line for a particular ride.
    They have one - Disney Mobile Magic. It's in the App Store for iPhone and I had it on my Android when I had one of those as well.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    They have one - Disney Mobile Magic. It's in the App Store for iPhone and I had it on my Android when I had one of those as well.
    I'm not sure why, but it's not available on my Android running 4.1. I used to use it on my old Galaxy S, but I've since upgraded and had to use a third-party app. Which isn't too bad considering it loads so much faster.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I'm not sure why, but it's not available on my Android running 4.1. I used to use it on my old Galaxy S, but I've since upgraded and had to use a third-party app. Which isn't too bad considering it loads so much faster.
    That's funny, because the Android that I had was the old HTC Droid Incredible, the first incarnation that was released, and it worked just fine. I would think a newer Android would have no problem with it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I don't think they ever were meant to be exact. Just an estimate so "10 minutes" would be "around 10 minutes". Times can vary quite quickly depending on parades and such. I know that one minute the place is empty and the next it's as crowded as a sardine can.

I don't think myMagic+ will make this system obsolete. I say this because that would mean guests would not only have to scan their chips at the beginning, but at the end as well. Giving guests a red card would allow them to easily remember to give it up at the end.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    RFID= big brother is watching you. Nope, not on my wrist.

• Disneyland Dreamer

I've been given them on RSR and GRR. On RSR, I was in the FP line...GRR, normal queue (didn't need my FP because lines were so short).

30 Minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Funny thing is more for Internal use (staffing levels, etc) than the "wait time" signs... Disney "Wait Times" usually lie to move crowds around the park.
    The wait times are as accurate as the cast members makes them. Each attraction changes their own wait time manually based off of how long their line is. There's not some person sitting behind a wait time control panel trying to manipulate the crowd flow around the park.
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome." -Walt Disney
    "And that was without even a single drop of rum" -Jack Sparrow

I got the red card on two trips.

In 2010, I got it on Splash Mountain one afternoon, and in 2012, got it in regards to Luigi's Flying Tires.

Needless to say, I took my role in helping figure out wait times very seriously.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast