Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Does anyone else hate the 2006 bride in HM?

I hate the newer bride. The older one was much more convincing and scary.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

The problem with Constance (and her predecessors) is that's she is too darned close to the buggies. The prop would look so much better from a bit of distance. An up close prop is more effective if it is a "scare" prop. That is one that jumps up or comes out at you, but is gone quickly. If you can get up close & study a prop, it loses a good deal of its effect
    A non scary prop can take close scrutiny & be admired for the effect. Constance is supposed to be frightening or upsetting. Because she can be seen up close, she is dismissed. I have built more than a few props & have learned from some fairly expensive mistakes.
    If you have a prop that is going to be seen for a good deal of time, five to ten seconds, there had better be a number of things going on. Leota gets a lot of "face" time, but she is in a crystal ball, the rest of the room reacts to her monologue, and she now also floats. One of the most effective props is Little Leota at the exit. She is right there, but a bit difficult to see because she is so small, and in effect, distant. There are very few that will read this that don't know her dialogue by heart. That is how effective she is.

If they stuck Constance back in the corner, used a cobweb scrim, and gave her less than a five second appearance with proper lighting, she would be a star. The Imagineers are great at what they do, but their haunting abilities are a shade lacking.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Heavy Breather

I don't hate her, it's the puns that make it fail.

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    The problem with Constance (and her predecessors) is that's she is too darned close to the buggies. The prop would look so much better from a bit of distance. An up close prop is more effective if it is a "scare" prop. That is one that jumps up or comes out at you, but is gone quickly. If you can get up close & study a prop, it loses a good deal of its effect
    A non scary prop can take close scrutiny & be admired for the effect. Constance is supposed to be frightening or upsetting. Because she can be seen up close, she is dismissed. I have built more than a few props & have learned from some fairly expensive mistakes.
    If you have a prop that is going to be seen for a good deal of time, five to ten seconds, there had better be a number of things going on. Leota gets a lot of "face" time, but she is in a crystal ball, the rest of the room reacts to her monologue, and she now also floats. One of the most effective props is Little Leota at the exit. She is right there, but a bit difficult to see because she is so small, and in effect, distant. There are very few that will read this that don't know her dialogue by heart. That is how effective she is.

If they stuck Constance back in the corner, used a cobweb scrim, and gave her less than a five second appearance with proper lighting, she would be a star. The Imagineers are great at what they do, but their haunting abilities are a shade lacking.
    Nicely said. I also know this all too well. I love miniature model railroading as a hobby, and try to do as much as I can in my free time. While a model building or rolling stock or whatever looks absolutely fantastic from afar, when you get down on your knees to view the smaller details does one start to notice a few things that can detract from the previous feeling. The same idea can be implemented here, like you said. The effect is up close and takes up quite a bit of screen time with few actions. The Graveyard Ghosts have it easier seeing that they are further away from the buggy, have less screen time, and have way more kinetic energy.

Also, I may be an outcast in this conversation, but I have no strong feelings one way or another towards the old and new bride. The older bride looked nice since it happened to be more of a physical animatronic rather than a projected one, but the newer bride has technology on its side, and I must admit the idea of a disappearing and reappearing hatchet being held by a mannequin with a bridal dress is quite scary on paper.

Although I do have a theory...of sorts. More of a head canon that may not fit with other people's views, but I just want to voice myself out. The old Bride was creepy, there's no doubt about that. Scary even, especially when you think about her doll-like qualities. But was that fitting? While I am only speaking off the top of my head and straight from memory, wasn't the Haunted Mansion divided into 2 sections; A serious one and a kooky one. The attraction would seem rather dark and dreary at the beginning but then somewhere halfway along the ride, the mood would switch and transition over into the fun Graveyard Jamboree. So having a really super creepy doll looking animatronic right before the lighthearted graveyard may of been a mood whiplash of sorts?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

I think you'll find a lot of opinions in the Long Forgotten thread.

I don't mind her. Many say the arms tend to be missing, but what do you expect in a ghost? It's like complaining that their clothes are clear. I do agree that she could use a little more distance. Sort of like Leota and the singing busts.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• world class bilge rat

In my mind, she looks out of place. Doesn't fit the context of the scene. She looks more like some sort of an add-on than anything else.

The beating heart one looked much better.

I like the fact that Constance has inspired merchandise (shirts, pins) but she's a total downgrade for me. The original was so perfectly creepy and abstract; this one is a corny diva and ruins the atmosphere completely.

The best bride for me is Phantom Manor's, the very first one in the ride who doesn't speak and just looks at you with her candelabra.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

The original concept of a jilted bride who died of a broken heart always made me more sad than scared. I kind of like Constance though. I am hoping that it is because of the tongue in cheek way it's done that I don't mind the stereotype of a Black Widow serial killer.
    "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." Eeyore

• No Disassemble!

I think hate might be too harsh a word but for me there's a lot to dislike about Constance:

- Her projection comes off too cartoony. It's on par with any effect from the movie "The Haunted Mansion", and that's a bad thing.

- She's cross eyed. It's discouraging to know that in the afterlife we're all gonna need glasses apparently.

- The audio, it would have been better IMO for her voice to only be heard in each doom buggy rather than it echoing through the whole room.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

After reviewing the thread again, the justification for Constance might be: the more realistic the more scary which is not child friendly.

My response to that would be that the scene looks better without the bride all together than a poor quality one.
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMenTellNoTalez View Post
    After reviewing the thread again, the justification for Constance might be: the more realistic the more scary which is not child friendly.

My response to that would be that the scene looks better without the bride all together than a poor quality one.
    I don't really buy that. The old bride just looked scary. Constance's story is actually pretty gruesome, but her wacky face and dialogue dumbs it all down.

If they were going after the kid-friendly thing, I think the hanging corpse in the elevator would be one of the first things to go.

• Singing Drinker

I like the additional story, and am not turned off by the old figure or the new figure - any more than I am the old vs the new Leota.

IMO it's a personal taste matter. There's nothing self-evidently "wrong" with her, she fits the digital projection they used in the area around her, she fits with the general feel of what's going on in the attic.

If they'd used a projection screen a la Nemo with "wacky Constance" I could see a more concrete and less subjective issue.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I wish Constance's face would not be projected on a flat surface - it should really look more like Madame Leota. However I do like her more than the previous bride. She really made the entire attic MUCH better., where previously the attic was the most boring part of the HM. I also like the fading heads of her deceased husbands on the portraits, and I do like how the axe appears in her hands. Her different sayings also add a little variety when you pass by.

• Greetings, Program!

I'm also casting my vote for the old "beating heart" bride. No punny lines. Just those creepy glowing orbs staring at you from under the veil.

Less is more.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

The current one is too neon and glowy and it just looks fake. My wife hates her.

The old one dropped you right into Uncanny Valley - it just.... worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast