Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 102
  1. #61

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    306

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    I bet it's a face character inside Innovations; a subset of the Ironman Exhibit.


  2. #62

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    While Im fine with properties, they do really need to cool it with the 'insert properties here' lands. I don't think they realize that just their name brings in guests, so whatever they build will get numbers. If you think about it, almost everyone's favorite rides are originals...BTMR, HM, POTC, Soarin, Space Mountain especially. Like I said I have no problem with properties but original attractions should out weigh properties not vise versa (break I'm talking about newer additions...not in general)
    Well said. The rides that made Disneyland world famous are its originals: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Submarines, Small World and the like. Its world famous icons include the Mark Twain and the Matterhorn, the Monorail and the Disneyland Railroad.

    The problem is one of balance -- under the Iger regime, virtually nothing is greenlit that is not an advertisement for a brand. The marketeers and strategic planners in charge of Disney Parks are turning Disneyland into a virtual WalMart of Disney cartoons, Pixar cartoons, Muppets, comic book superheroes and Star Wars characters. Every new or upgraded venue is used to promote brands.

    Disneyland used to be a showcase of new rides that featured innovation, imagination and originality. No more. Year by year it's being turned into a walk-thru infomercial for whatever hot brand Disney Corp is pushing at the moment. "Thor at Disneyland" is just the next step down that road.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  3. #63

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Have fun at Busch Gardens. I really mean that, BTW.
    Thank you.

    Have you ever been there? I mean that, BTW.

    I don't think my comparison is as "absurd" as you think. There are many of us who think this way.

  4. #64

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disneyland used to be a showcase of new rides that featured innovation, imagination and originality. No more. Year by year it's being turned into a walk-thru infomercial for whatever hot brand Disney Corp is pushing at the moment. "Thor at Disneyland" is just the next step down that road.
    "The years to come seemed waste of breath."

  5. #65

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Thank you.

    Have you ever been there? I mean that, BTW.

    I don't think my comparison is as "absurd" as you think. There are many of us who think this way.
    Your welcome. Unfortunately, no, but I would love to visit. My mom has told me stories of the good times she and her siblings had at the Busch Gardens that used to be in Los Angeles. Makes me want to visit the ones around the country (I believe there are two, right?). I'm sure I'd have a great time.

    It's absurd, in my opinion. There are many who think the same way I think. It's unfortunate Disney chooses IPs for their new attractions and refuses to come up with something original. I wish they would take the time to come up with original ideas, but it's obvious those days are long gone. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. I just came from an amusement park last Saturday and to compare my experience and options there (although I had a great time) to Disneyland is laughable, to me.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  6. #66

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Busch gardens in LA was...different. They had some neat rides, and the monorail (not Disney??) through the brewery was neat.

    Worlds away from BGW. Never been to the one in FL. BGW is Frequently voted Most Beautiful Theme Park in the country. Food WAY better than DL.

    DL relies WAY too much on its reputation...and it's slipping. And that is what KILLS many of us fans.

  7. #67

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Busch gardens in LA was...different. They had some neat rides, and the monorail (not Disney??) through the brewery was neat.

    Worlds away from BGW. Never been to the one in FL. BGW is Frequently voted Most Beautiful Theme Park in the country. Food WAY better than DL.

    DL relies WAY too much on its reputation...and it's slipping. And that is what KILLS many of us fans.
    I imagine the food is better. I rarely hear anything about BGW, but I always hear about the one in Florida (I hear it's not that great). I'm looking forward to possibly visiting.

    I agree with you when you say DL relies a lot on its reputation. It's good for the fanboi-type fans, who are mostly apologists and worship every move Disney makes (mostly the ones that comment on Disney Parks Blog). I find it extremely irritating and mostly annoying. I don't consider myself one of those fans, and there's no doubt Disneyland nowadays is not the same Disneyland many fans grew up with when Walt was around. I don't expect it to be that way.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  8. #68

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    there's no doubt Disneyland nowadays is not the same Disneyland many fans grew up with when Walt was around. I don't expect it to be that way.
    I wonder why you shouldn't expect DL to be the way it was in earlier times? To expect anything else is to acquiesce.

  9. #69

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Here is one thing to remember Marvel is owned by Disney. Means they can use them in the park with no issues as far as I am concerned. If we were only limited to what Walt made we would have a stale park IMO. The mix between the properties I believe is very good. And recent editions by Disney world wide are well themed so why would they make something totally lame for Thor?

    Marvel characters have lots of back storys that lend themselves to lots of theme. I can't imagine why anyone would be against them existing in the Disney park. The placement of Thor I believe could be in Innoventions where they have the Stark exhibit. They could even leave the theme. He could be visiting Stark's house or whatever they want. Thor can pretty much exist anywhere as he comes from another realm and visits earth and last time I checked Disneyland is on earth. Am I the only one who thinks that it's ok to have Marvel characters here? I don't get the hostility towards the Disney property. I am sure Thor will be a great hit for kids of all ages I can't wat to see him!
    ESPN is owned by Disney. ABC is owned by Disney. History Channel, Crime and Investigation Network, Military History Channel, Babyzone.com, etc. may all be Disney related, but they shouldn't just be sprinkled throughout every Disney property.

    How do you think ESPN sports fans would feel by having Disney InfINity characters being superimposed in their favorite weekly football, basketball, or whatever sport games? Or having the Fab Five being co-anchors on SportsCenter?

    Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

    So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.

  10. #70

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    ESPN is owned by Disney. ABC is owned by Disney. History Channel, Crime and Investigation Network, Military History Channel, Babyzone.com, etc. may all be Disney related, but they shouldn't just be sprinkled throughout every Disney property.

    How do you think ESPN sports fans would feel by having Disney InfINity characters being superimposed in their favorite weekly football, basketball, or whatever sport games? Or having the Fab Five being co-anchors on SportsCenter?

    Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

    So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.
    Awesome post.

  11. #71

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I wonder why you shouldn't expect DL to be the way it was in earlier times? To expect anything else is to acquiesce.
    Wanting Disneyland to be how it was back then and expecting (as in counting on) Disneyland to be how it was back then are two different things. Sure, I want Disneyland to be how it was years and years ago, but I don't expect it to be, with the money-hungry, bean counting, cheap and careless corporation Disney has become.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  12. #72

    • Not the Hawkguy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    683

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    ESPN is owned by Disney. ABC is owned by Disney. History Channel, Crime and Investigation Network, Military History Channel, Babyzone.com, etc. may all be Disney related, but they shouldn't just be sprinkled throughout every Disney property.

    How do you think ESPN sports fans would feel by having Disney InfINity characters being superimposed in their favorite weekly football, basketball, or whatever sport games? Or having the Fab Five being co-anchors on SportsCenter?

    Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

    So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.
    So then what do you make of existing Disneyland rides like Star Tours, IJA, Astro Blasters, and the Nemo Subs? Because those seem to work out well and fit into existing themes, even though they're not Disney as you just said.

    As for Marvel, Iron Man and Thor would definitely work in the parks. Iron Man is incredibly futuristic, and Thor works in both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (fantasy elements from the Thor mythos, and the comics/movies emphasizing the technological/scientific nature of Asgard).

  13. #73

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Wanting Disneyland to be how it was back then and expecting (as in counting on) Disneyland to be how it was back then are two different things. Sure, I want Disneyland to be how it was years and years ago, but I don't expect it to be, with the money-hungry, bean counting, cheap and careless corporation Disney has become.
    Agreed.

  14. #74

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    ESPN is owned by Disney. ABC is owned by Disney. History Channel, Crime and Investigation Network, Military History Channel, Babyzone.com, etc. may all be Disney related, but they shouldn't just be sprinkled throughout every Disney property.

    How do you think ESPN sports fans would feel by having Disney InfINity characters being superimposed in their favorite weekly football, basketball, or whatever sport games? Or having the Fab Five being co-anchors on SportsCenter?

    Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

    So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.

    Awesome post.
    +1! Very well said, bfdf55.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  15. #75

    • Larger Than (After)Life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A Dusty Attic
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

    In what "Land" will Disney place Thor or any Marvel comic-based attraction, for that matter? Marvel would RUIN Fantasyland. I don't see how Thor belongs in TOMORROWland. (Nemo is bad enough, and Buzz Lightyear is a joke of a stretch.) Definitely NOT in Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country nor ToonTown. So, Adventureland? WHERE in Adventureland??? There's NO room!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mickey hot air balloon coming to Disneyland?
    By disneyfn in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM
  2. Chicken Little-Based Ride Coming To Disneyland Resort
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 11:53 AM
  3. the Jennifamilyfer is coming to Disneyland
    By Jennidisneyfer in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
  4. Walt Disney World Rides Coming To Disneyland
    By llama5492 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 07:09 PM
  5. Single Rider Coming to DIsneyland for a weeek :)
    By CoolCanadian in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •