Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Thor coming to disneyland!

Bye, bye, Disneyland. Hello Universal Studios, Orange County.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

"Here you leave the world of today
    And enter the world of
    Movie brand marketing"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    ESPN is owned by Disney. ABC is owned by Disney. History Channel, Crime and Investigation Network, Military History Channel, Babyzone.com, etc. may all be Disney related, but they shouldn't just be sprinkled throughout every Disney property.

How do you think ESPN sports fans would feel by having Disney InfINity characters being superimposed in their favorite weekly football, basketball, or whatever sport games? Or having the Fab Five being co-anchors on SportsCenter?

Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.
    All the properties you mentioned ARE DISNEY. To compare Characters from Marvel who have rich back rounds and stories to real life competitors in sports is silly and I don't even get the point honestly. I guess you never go on and enjoy IJA, Star Tours, Astro Basters, RSR, or anything else that is in the theme parks that are themed after something. As far as a proper format is concerned tell me how they have misused all of the properties they have in the parks so far. I know some can be named but not ALL OF THEM!!!!! Besides the fact Disney owns the parks and can use the properties they own as they see fit. Judging by current attractions that have been built in the past 5 years I have faith in how they are making new attractions. Whether people don't or not is their own opinions. The theme park attendance would suggest Disney does something right. Even Universals increase still leaves them far behind the Disney parks.

Bottom line is they are Disney like it or not. Unless we want to dismiss such attraction like Snow White and the Seven dwarfs since it's based off a Grimm's tale. Tell me the difference between Snow White and Thor being in the parks really to me. To me is no difference if they build an attraction that fits in to the parks space. If they only difference is Walt made one and Stan Lee made the other than that's not much of a difference. They both are great tales of characters who live in a different world than ours. Both have great sadness and then great triumphs. both have lessons to be learned. Both have memorable characters that families love. Both can exist in Disneyland IMO.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    All the properties you mentioned ARE DISNEY. To compare Characters from Marvel who have rich back rounds and stories to real life competitors in sports is silly and I don't even get the point honestly. I guess you never go on and enjoy IJA, Star Tours, Astro Basters, RSR, or anything else that is in the theme parks that are themed after something. As far as a proper format is concerned tell me how they have misused all of the properties they have in the parks so far. I know some can be named but not ALL OF THEM!!!!! Besides the fact Disney owns the parks and can use the properties they own as they see fit. Judging by current attractions that have been built in the past 5 years I have faith in how they are making new attractions. Whether people don't or not is their own opinions. The theme park attendance would suggest Disney does something right. Even Universals increase still leaves them far behind the Disney parks.

Bottom line is they are Disney like it or not. Unless we want to dismiss such attraction like Snow White and the Seven dwarfs since it's based off a Grimm's tale. Tell me the difference between Snow White and Thor being in the parks really to me. To me is no difference if they build an attraction that fits in to the parks space. If they only difference is Walt made one and Stan Lee made the other than that's not much of a difference. They both are great tales of characters who live in a different world than ours. Both have great sadness and then great triumphs. both have lessons to be learned. Both have memorable characters that families love. Both can exist in Disneyland IMO.
    You do make a point. The Marvel characters (except Thor) are at least original, while the majority of "Disney" characters are actually characters from ancient fairytale stories.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post

I think this will be one of those topics where people will have to (and always) agree to disagree.

Modern audiences are becoming more accustomed to seeing everything being based on a movie at Disneyland. Newer generations have come to expect it now, and it's what they want. So Disney gives them what they want.

Older generations saw imagination and creativity that didn't have to adhere to a movie in EVERY case. It kept things fresh and innovative and appealing.

As far as comparing Snow White to Thor. If Thor is a Disney movie, then so be it. This will be Disney's take on the story. Perhaps they make it their own in their own special way. Just like Walt Disney did indeed take fairy tales of old and made them his own.

The animated characters we meet at Disneyland's Fantasyland are directly from Disney movies and the way Walt envisioned them. They do belong at Disneyland, because they are Walt's take on those stories.

Indiana Jones and the characters of Star Wars? No. These are not Disney's take on these well known characters. True that Disney has bought them. They do belong to Disney. But they aren't Disney creations (or even Disney's take on those characters). They are straight from George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. They were iconic unto themselves and didn't need Disney to promote them. They were already part of our fabric....with no relation to Disney.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Indiana Jones and the characters of Star Wars? No. These are not Disney's take on these well known characters. True that Disney has bought them. They do belong to Disney. But they aren't Disney creations (or even Disney's take on those characters). They are straight from George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. They were iconic unto themselves and didn't need Disney to promote them. They were already part of our fabric....with no relation to Disney.
    Considering how popular many of the Marvel movie characters are (and how much money their movies are) those characters would fall into the same set you put the Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    In what "Land" will Disney place Thor or any Marvel comic-based attraction, for that matter? Marvel would RUIN Fantasyland. I don't see how Thor belongs in TOMORROWland. (Nemo is bad enough, and Buzz Lightyear is a joke of a stretch.) Definitely NOT in Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country nor ToonTown. So, Adventureland? WHERE in Adventureland??? There's NO room!
    If a flying elephant who's film takes place in the US can fit in fantasyland rather well, why can't a Norse god?

• Disney Obsessed

I cant read this whole thread... It's the same debate for what like a year or two now?

a decade from now kids will be used to seeing marvel in the parks and it will be normal. We will recall "the good ol days" - while I understand wanting the "purity" of the "disney characters" only in the park- we have Indy and Starwars in the park (and its expanding)... To me those are normal.. I grew up with starwars already there and BARELY remember Indy opening... I think the more the merrier! They are all Disney! We bought them! lol So why does your childhood heroes and heroines get more spot light in the park than this generations heros and heroines? If they are thematically placed they will fit... we've had thread after thread from the serious comic book junkies on these boards that tell you how they fit! I for one, am all about new additions to the park and I may be a Princess kinda girl.. my husband LOVES marvel! So the more Marvel- the easier to drag him to the park

Just my thoughts....

To my young children Marvel and Star Wars are Disney, and they will grow up with that. Young girls are able to dream of, dress like, and meet the princesses. Why can't my boys do the same with their heroes. The Marvel and Star Wars characters are as much fantasy to my boys as the princesses are to most girls. I am elated that i can bring my boys to the place where dreams come true to meet the characters of their dreams.

• Minion

As much as I love Disneyland's era of Walt Disney, I've gotten used to the new era, since it's what I grew up with. I grew up with Darth Vader and Indy in the parks. Thor and the other Marvel characters won't be any different for me, though Thor doesn't fit in either Disneyland or California Adventure.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 08-21-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I strongly suspect that they're just rotating in Marvel stuff into Disneyland, each character at a time temporarily, as just a way to promote the corresponding films and build excitement about the respective characters. Ultimately each of these Marvel characters will have a place in the Third Gate, and not at Disneyland (or DCA for that matter). That is what I believe. So in other words, don't get too up in arms about "this doesn't belong at Disneyland." I agree it doesn't, but like Disney has ALWAYS done, they're bringing a temporary presence of a current character/film into the Happiest Place on Earth for promotional and hype purposes.

This is great news!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The rides that made Disneyland world famous are its originals: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Submarines, Small World and the like. Its world famous icons include the Mark Twain and the Matterhorn, the Monorail and the Disneyland Railroad.

The problem is one of balance -- under the Iger regime, virtually nothing is greenlit that is not an advertisement for a brand. The marketeers and strategic planners in charge of Disney Parks are turning Disneyland into a virtual WalMart of Disney cartoons, Pixar cartoons, Muppets, comic book superheroes and Star Wars characters. Every new or upgraded venue is used to promote brands.

Disneyland used to be a showcase of new rides that featured innovation, imagination and originality. No more. Year by year it's being turned into a walk-thru infomercial for whatever hot brand Disney Corp is pushing at the moment. "Thor at Disneyland" is just the next step down that road.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Marvel and Lucisfilm provide opportunities for theme park properties, but they must be used in their proper format. The Marvel and Star Wars Universes are unique and cannot properly be utilized by just sticking them in any location. They can be successfully included in any of the studio parks, either as individual attractions or entire lands. But trying to wedge them into existing Magic Kingdom parks as lands just weakens the entire MK concept. Ant that especially goes for Disneyland, as it is the quintessential prototype and historical basis for Walt Disney's theme park concept.

So, while Disney may OWN Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, they are NOT Disney. Those companies essentially stand on their own, developing their individual properties without intermixing with Disney. And their development as Disney owned properties should be in a way that doesn’t compromise either Disney OR their individual companies.

YES, I agree completely. This is precisely why I can't wait for them to build the Third Gate. The Imagineers need to get a think-tank going and brainstorm ways to make the third park a well planned, thought out, and cohesive place. The idea I've heard about it being themed to heroes and adventure works well in this regard, as it is the common link between the Marvel characters and their backstory, and Lucasfilms (Star Wars, Indy).

• Artistic integrity

The good news .. none of this sounds permanent. They said - "This fall" .. so I hardly think it's going to be anything beyond "exhibit" status - Which can be up in a small amount of time .. and quickly closed down. Just like the Iron Man tech, previews of Tron and Oz in the Muppet theater, etc.

Temporary ... So, I'm not getting worried.

And just what in the heck does this have to do with Tomorrowland anyway?

So ... just a temporary filler.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I would gladly kneel before Loki.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast