Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• "I don't like the color"

Re: the new indy effects

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I wouldn’t be able to tell if an Indian god was supposed to sound like James Earl Jones or Alanis Morrisette.
    Well, you oughta know.

Sorry, just could not help myself
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Minion

It's not even that the change is for better or worse...we could argue that all day and everyone would have a different opinion. I think the reason this change has been met with such 'controversy', if you will, is because there was no need to change it. The projection effects are great, because the old ones had become drab over the years. But what exactly was wrong with the original voice? Why fix what ain't broke? People know the ride with that voice, so why pull change an important aspect to a ride people obviously love and feel a connection (whether it be emotional or nostalgic) with, when there was no apparent reason to?

• Minion

I wonder how many commenters on YouTube have actually ridden the ride since the change. I found from watching the effects in a video that the effects were downplayed while the voice was very apparent. The effects dont seem to translate well to a video.

In contrast, I rode the thing three times in a row during the AP event last Saturday night and got all three rooms. The effects themselves seem to be the star of the show in real life while the voice was hardly noticeable to me. Real life affect is something that is really hard to ascertain by merely watching a video.
    I doubt actually hearing the voice in the attraction will change my opinion of it.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    It's not even that the change is for better or worse...we could argue that all day and everyone would have a different opinion. I think the reason this change has been met with such 'controversy', if you will, is because there was no need to change it. The projection effects are great, because the old ones had become drab over the years. But what exactly was wrong with the original voice? Why fix what ain't broke? People know the ride with that voice, so why pull change an important aspect to a ride people obviously love and feel a connection (whether it be emotional or nostalgic) with, when there was no apparent reason to?
    This is purely speculative - but it's likely it was simply much easier to do the new effects with a new voice. Doing it with the old voice would require building everything around preexisting tracks or trying to do inferior edits with already edited tracks. Doing it with a new voice track means not having to worry about that and being able to have a voice actor do the new material with the new synch.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MaliBOOMer

Personally I don't find Jack Sparrow additions to Pirates as a problem, because it doesn't bother or change the ride quality substantially for me. But I completely understand why people dislike the change to one of their favorite attractions. Especially since it's not a change for the better. Trivial change to me but not to others. For me the the change to Mara's voice isn't trivial. The ominous voice was one of the most badass parts of the ride. Now it just sounds ridiculous.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 08-24-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Referred to a post prior to this one which was removed. Edited so it made sense after the post by another member was removed.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Parking Lot > DCA

I am not fan of the voice at all, but it's not so much the sound of the voice as much as it is the way the voice actor speaks. For example, in the Observatory of the Future room when Mara says - "I will lift the curtain of time" - it just doesn't sound right. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that's off, but it bugs me. I also feel the same way when Mara says "The Gates of Doom!" - something just sounds unnatural about the way the voice actor said it.

That bothers me more than the actual voice itself.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am not fan of the voice at all, but it's not so much the sound of the voice as much as it is the way the voice actor speaks. For example, in the Observatory of the Future room when Mara says - "I will lift the curtain of time" - it just doesn't sound right. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that's off, but it bugs me. I also feel the same way when Mara says "The Gates of Doom!" - something just sounds unnatural about the way the voice actor said it.

I dislike how they changed what he says. Also I agree with you on how he says things sounding off. Especially on the treasure of Mara door when he says "it is yours!" That is truley terrible.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post

I agree. It sounds like overacting to me - like a high school play or an opera. I'll hold my final conclusion on it until I can actually ride it (which will be quite a while from now, maybe it will change by then?), but based on what I hear in the videos I am not a fan.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MaliBOOMer

Just experienced it in person. I got the treasure door, the new effect and attraction in general looked great! However that new voice is horrible. The old voice was perfect. The new one is so far from it it's ridiculous. It's funny not ominous. It is truly saddening. I am bewildered on why or how this change took place. The voice actor must have known someone to get this gig. I'll be making my first in person comment at city hall. Shame it's a complaint.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I agree. It sounds like overacting to me - like a high school play or an opera. I'll hold my final conclusion on it until I can actually ride it (which will be quite a while from now, maybe it will change by then?), but based on what I hear in the videos I am not a fan.
    Maybe that is the way to describe it. I can't figure it out.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The voice is fine. Its just that the hardcore Disneyland fanbase cant handle changes. ...everybody knows that.
    Nostalgia Critic- I DON'T WANT CHANGE - YouTube

This pretty much sums us up in a nutshell
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I doubt actually hearing the voice in the attraction will change my opinion of it.
    So you have been commenting on how the voice sounds without ever actually experiencing it, relying on a YouTube video as your source of truth? I’ll admit, the voice isn’t as good as the old one, but as I said when experienced in person the new effects completely over shadow it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

So you have been commenting on how the voice sounds without ever actually experiencing it, relying on a YouTube video as your source of truth?
    indeed, and I don't see anything wrong about doing it.
    Last edited by frollofan; 08-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    indeed, and I don't see anything wrong about doing it.
    Most people here have been pretty good about disclosing whether the opinon's personal or abstract, but "in person" *IS* a much more pertinent comparison. You don't get the full audio experience compared with what a person on the ride is going through. Between deficiencies in the recording equipment, background noises etc. there's a *definite* difference in experience.

Basing your opinion off the Youtube video doesn't invalidate your opinion. However, it means you have an opinion on what the Youtube video presents more than the actual ride experience. I've seen videos of Matterhorn, HM and the like that make them seem like incompetent carny rides.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

While it's true that poorly shot or poorly recorded video can misrepresent a theme park ride, in this case it doesn't seem as relevant, given the number of posters on this and other Disney forums who have heard the new Mara voice in person and said it sucks compared to the original voice. (I've only heard the video, but just from that I'd have to agree with the posters who've said "WTF were they thinking?!")
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast