Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dark ride photography?

I was on Tv mode. I'll have to try that! Maybe f5.0 at 1/30th of a second with an ISO 1600 for a starting point, as another user recommended, and see what the results are like.
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

That shot turned out good. I'll keep that in mind and look on flickr. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Yassi1 View Post
    I was on Tv mode. I'll have to try that! Maybe f5.0 at 1/30th of a second with an ISO 1600 for a starting point, as another user recommended, and see what the results are like.
    Thanks for your help!
    f5 will get you nowhere on these dark rides.

your only bet is use that 50mm 1.8, set your camera to manual 1/50 f1.8 ISO 6400. Make sure to shoot raw and you can clean up the noise and make the photo really pop.

Name:  8460086981_917dd28113_c.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  178.6 KB
    Last edited by erdons; 08-25-2013 at 12:05 PM.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by erdons View Post

your only bet is use that 50mm 1.8, set your camera to manual 1/50 f1.8 ISO 6400. Make sure to shoot raw and you can clean up the noise and make the photo really pop.
    Depends on how dark. Most of pirate and HM is too dark, f1.8 or 2.0 works best. Monsters Inc...f5.0 works for most of the ride. I have good pictures with these settings. It is relative. Remember the depth of field at f1.8 - on a moving attraction. Non-blurry focus is important too. It is a juggling act.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by erdons View Post

Name:  8460086981_917dd28113_c.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  178.6 KB
    What camera was used for this shot, if I might ask?
    "I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it"
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Depends on how dark. Most of pirate and HM is too dark, f1.8 or 2.0 works best. Monsters Inc...f5.0 works for most of the ride. I have good pictures with these settings. It is relative. Remember the depth of field at f1.8 - on a moving attraction. Non-blurry focus is important too. It is a juggling act.
    those last 2 I posted were at f2 or f1.8... I guess you could say its relative but I do not recall off the top of my head any successful dark ride shots at f5, although I have never shot monsters inc. I guess in theory it is possible depending on which dark ride and how intense the lighting is in that specific location...

Quote Originally Posted by basketbuddy101 View Post
    What camera was used for this shot, if I might ask?
    5D Mark III with a Canon 28mm 1.8.....

The T1i spec-wise seems pretty comparable to the T2i, which is the camera that I use. Not much of a difference. Perhaps if there was it would be in the ISO capabilities and how it can handle noise in a higher ISO but again the difference wouldn't be super noticeable between the two.

Off the bat using the kit lens with a maximum f-stop of 5.6 when it is fully zoomed in and 3.5 when in full wide angle can get you shots inside some dark rides but it will be very tricky and require more trial and error then usual. My suggestion would be to buy a nice prime lens. You mentioned you already have the 50mm 1.8 which is good! As has been mentioned before on our crop sensor cameras the 50mm will seem like we are using a 80mm due to the crop factor. The 35mm would also be a good prime to use as it would come out to about a 56mm on our sensors.

Using the Av and Tv modes do have their purpose but honestly for taking pictures inside dark rides I find it a necessity to shoot in full manual mode. It gives you the control of just how fast you want the shutter speed to be and also what f-stop you want to shoot at. For example Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are two of the darkest rides at the resort you will ever need to shoot in. On my camera I set my ISO to 1600. On the T2i there is noise in the image but the pictures still remain usable. I feel if I shot at anything higher then 1600 ISO the noise is just too much. Inside pirates I set my white balance to Tunsungen (spelling?); reason why I set it to that is because the ride for the most part after the cave sequence at the beginning and just before the first drop had lighting that is "warm" its very orange/reddish. If you want to have your picture come off alittle more natural setting your white balance to Tunsungen will help with neutralizing the warm colors of the scene. I have my f-stop as wide open as I possibly can to allow the sensor to collect as much light in as little time as possible. In my case it would be 1.4; but in yours would be 1.8. The trade off in that is that your depth of field will narrow down a bit. So be sure to use your center focus point (which in our cameras is the most accurate point to use for focusing) if you are able to focus well then the DoF shouldn't be an issue with your shots. And lastly my shutter speed for shooting inside pirates I have found works best for me at around 1/50. It's fast enough to stop most of the animatronic motions and compensates for the movement of the boat; but slow enough to allow as much light in as it possibly can. I have only really played around taking pictures inside pirates of the caribbean though. I have some Mansion pics but I havent really had a chance to play around with taking on ride pics. Other tips I would suggest is to work on taking pan shots. When you focus on the subject move your camera with the subject as the ride moves. It will lessen your chances of image blur. Another thing that would help is setting up your camera to shoot in continuous mode. I tend to not do this anymore as I have gotten a feeling for certain scenes on the ride but on occasion I will use burst mode but restrain myself to just taking three or four bursts at a time. I dont want to annoy the other people on the ride with the constant click; but burst mode along with tracking and panning with the subject will give you a better opportunity to get a good clean shot of what you want to get.

Most other dark rides tend to be bright enough where you can use the same setting I used for pirates except for the white balance setting I specified and you should be able to get good clean shots; but the fun part is playing around with the settings yourself and figureing what works best for you. One last thing that will help you is definately shooting in RAW format and using some form of photo editing program such as Lightroom 4 (which is what I use) or 5 (which is the new version). They have tools to reduce picture noise and it also allows you to possibly save shots you liked but might have turned out alittle under exposed or overexposed when you first took the pictures.

• Loves Disney

_DSC0045 by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr
    Nikon D5100 with 35mm 1/200 ƒ/1.8 ISO 6400
    getting better at it but still a hard task to do sometimes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12