Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Issue with an Annual Pass discount

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    From a business standpoint, you saving a buck or two by using a discount you didn't pay for is the business losing a buck or two. Not very good for profit.
    I know that, and what I do is just have my friend have me buy the product if I'm an AP and there not....I mean thats the simple solution is just buy it your self and get your money back later

I'm just saying in the end if your smart...Disney will lose that dollar or two either way

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'm just saying in the end if your smart...Disney will lose that dollar or two either way
    Since there are rumored to be 1 million annual passholders now, does that mean that if all 1 million of them were “smart”, Disney would lose $1 million or $2 million either way? From that perspective, it kind of makes sense why they have this rule in place.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Only the pass holder receives the pass benefits. If you daughter is paying she get's her AP's discount. If you or your wife are paying, you only get your own AP's discounts.
    I know that's the case with adults, but not sure that holds true for minors, since from a legal standpoint they can't "own" anything anyway; their parents own it and hold if for their use. Same reason a minor can't get a bank account with out mom/dad as a co-signer.
    Last edited by kirstenh; 08-23-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add clarification

To answer the question as to why my daughter has Premium, and my wife and I do not - it was actually suggested to us at AP Processing a couple of years ago. The cost to add parking to my daughter's pass (if we kept it as a Deluxe) (so either my wife or myself could take her, in case we weren't all going together) was the same as having a Premium. So we opted for Premium for her.

The cast member also suggested that we'd be able to take advantage of using the discount assigned to her pass, because she is our daughter.

I've had cast members deny me the discount when my daughter wasn't with me (e.g., she off riding a ride with Mom, while I'm getting lunch), and I'm fine with that. She's not with me, so I can't prove that she's in the park right now.

I completely get the business sense behind the rule - they have different last names, so for all they know, they aren't related at all. But, I'm also looking at what makes sense. It doesn't make sense that I can use it, but my wife can't.

I like the GC idea, and I think I may use that. We're certainly at the age of learning about money, so I have no problem with loading a GC with funds, and having my wife hand the card to my daughter to pay. It's a good learning experience for my daughter.

• Mistress of Evil

Your DD will love paying for things with her own GC...I know my DD does. Before each trip, I go to Buy a Disney Gift Card | Disney Store and let her pick out whichever card she would like and load it (they do not charge shipping, so you are paying the flat GC amount). We have had GC's with the Nemo Seaguls, Malificent and The Aristocats. CM's usually comment on them too because they just see Mickey ones for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Yep, if you want to take advantage of someone else's discount they have to buy it or use cash, with them doing the transaction.
    this would appear to be common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PascalGal View Post
    Well, the OP did say that his daughter is only 5 -- if she paid for the meal/merchandise and asked for her AP discount, it certainly might attract attention...
    Attract attention to them following the rules to the letter? What would be wrong with that? Many folks just enthusiastically pointed out the discount is for the pass holder. So, she gets the discount. Obviously it's a bit silly, and my post was trying to indicate that common sense says you just let the parents use the child's discount. They bought the pass for her in the first place. But, people DO love their rules, and it seems they think someone's "getting away with something" even if that's not the case.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    this would appear to be common sense.
    In most situations, yes, but to be fair to the OP this isn't exactly the usual situation since it would be a 5 year old making a purchase.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    Attract attention to them following the rules to the letter? What would be wrong with that? Many folks just enthusiastically pointed out the discount is for the pass holder. So, she gets the discount. Obviously it's a bit silly, and my post was trying to indicate that common sense says you just let the parents use the child's discount. They bought the pass for her in the first place. But, people DO love their rules, and it seems they think someone's "getting away with something" even if that's not the case.
    Just to clarify my opinion/input: I think the parents should be able to use the discount since she's a minor and the parent is the one who purchased and entered the contract to obtain the AP. HOWEVER, since the rule is that the discount for the pass holder only, that may be why it is being enforced. This is not a matter of opinion, merely stating why some CMs may be interpreting it this way and therefore getting different responses.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

Only the pass holder receives the pass benefits. If you daughter is paying she get's her AP's discount. If you or your wife are paying, you only get your own AP's discounts.
    This isn't exactly true and is a serious point of contention I have with Disney. We did the same thing the last time we bought annual passes. Our daughter had the premium pass. We bought one premium to get the parking pass. We put our daughter on it because that way either my husband or I could take the kids to the park.

I was told by the Disney staff in the ticket sales department that not only would we also get the discount as long as she was with us, but that is what they encourage families to do.

Well, come a few trips later, and I tried to use her pass to get a discount when we bought food. The sales person gave me a very hard time, but eventually relented. She said they had just received instructions not to take the pass.

Then, it happened again at another location. Now I was mad because I had checked on this policy twice before I purchase the tickets and I went to City Hall to find out what was the correct policy and to file a complaint.

Well, after a little investigation, City Hall confirmed what the ticket department had told me, and that as long as my daughter was with me, I should be able to get that discount. They told me if it ever happened again, to tell them to call City Hall.

It appeared to me that the ticket department and food service/sales department are not communicating with each other. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I think the food service/merchandise managers have decided to crack down without talking with the ticket office an understanding what their policies are.

Anyway, the long and short of it is, according the ticket department and staff at City Hall, you are able to use your daughters ticket discount as long as she is with you.

Now the last name issue is a whole different problem. I doubt you can get around that without some kind of proof. Sorry about that.

I actually came to say about the same thing (again). I've never had any problems using the pass when it was me (who shares a last name with my daughter). It's only been my wife that had a problem (different last names).

Yeah, not sure how to get around it, without a copy of her birth certificate with us (other than what's been suggested).

• A Suitcase & A Dream

When I had friends visiting a CM told me that I could use my discount to pay for their items as long as it was cash, ATM/Credit cards needs to match the name on the AP. I'm assuming like mentioned above the gifts cards work the same way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12