Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issue with an Annual Pass discount

My wife, daughter, and I all have APs (my wife and I have Deluxe, and my daughter has a Premium).

Normally, it's never an issue to use my daughter's pass for a discount (since her discount is greater than mine). I always get it, as long as she's with me.

My wife took my daughter by herself to the park the other day, and was denied, on at least two occasions, from using my daughter's discount. Why? Because they don't share the same last name, and there's no way for the cast member to know that my wife paid for my daughter's pass (that as the reasoning given).

My wife kept her maiden name after we got married, and my daughter shares my last name.

I emailed Disney to see if they have any response. Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this, or has a solution.

On the one hand, I can understand the reasoning. But, on the other hand - my daughter (who is 5), is my wife's twin. It's obvious that the two of them are related. Short of caring around her birth certificate or social security card, or showing pictures of all of us on her phone - I'm just stumped at how we can make this process better.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Issue with an Annual Pass discount

You've been very lucky in the past, not unlucky this time.

Only the pass holder receives the pass benefits. If you daughter is paying she get's her AP's discount. If you or your wife are paying, you only get your own AP's discounts.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Disneyland Original '55

I just experienced this with my pass, i was with my mother and my pass was denied at all the merchandise counters since we don't share the same last name, however i still used it at food service counters and they took it even though my mother paid.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You've been very lucky in the past, not unlucky this time.

Only the pass holder receives the pass benefits. If you daughter is paying she get's her AP's discount. If you or your wife are paying, you only get your own AP's discounts.
    This was my understanding of the discounts - they are for the individual passholder and are not transferable. If they're paying for a group, then it applies, but they're not to be used when someone else is paying.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• #bringevilback

Yep, if you want to take advantage of someone else's discount they have to buy it or use cash, with them doing the transaction.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I never get these rules...because if its your friend they can just pay you back....so just you buy it for them..but in the end I don't see why Disney is so against letting other people use you pass to save a buck or two

So....the mom hands the money to her daughter and the daughter pays. I'm guessing, and I don't visit enough to have an annual pass so it's purely a guess, that they generally go ahead and accept it from family members to avoid this silly game. But in this case the name didn't match so they did not.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I never get these rules...because if its your friend they can just pay you back....so just you buy it for them..but in the end I don't see why Disney is so against letting other people use you pass to save a buck or two
    From a business standpoint, you saving a buck or two by using a discount you didn't pay for is the business losing a buck or two. Not very good for profit.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    So....the mom hands the money to her daughter and the daughter pays. I'm guessing, and I don't visit enough to have an annual pass so it's purely a guess, that they generally go ahead and accept it from family members to avoid this silly game. But in this case the name didn't match so they did not.
    Well, the OP did say that his daughter is only 5 -- if she paid for the meal/merchandise and asked for her AP discount, it certainly might attract attention...

• 2 shots on the rocks.

If it is not your pass why would you feel entitled to a discount?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wondering why your 5 year old daughter has premium and not you or your wife. Usually one of the parents would be the premium pass holder in order to take advantage of the built-in parking pass and higher discounts. Being that children cannot hop in a car and drive themselves to Disneyland whenever they want, they often times are the ones to get the deluxe in order to save the parents on overall costs.

• Mistress of Evil

If he is the one paying for the AP, why not get the discount? The girl is 5 for crying out loud.
    OP, I suggest you put some $$ on a Disney Gift Card, and your DD can provide that when asked to pay with her discount. They can't argue with that, right?

My brother purchased a higher level pass for his kids in the event that they go with other people (like grandparents), and they want the child to have the pass that includes parking.

• #bringevilback

Wow, I totally missed the 5yo part! Yeah, your best bet is to pay with cash or disney gift card and her pass (with her present, of course)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    If he is the one paying for the AP, why not get the discount? The girl is 5 for crying out loud.
    Which is probably why he got away with it when he was with his kid. Their last names matched so Disney could see this. However the mother’s name did not match the daughters. I could see Disney’s point in this case. It would prevent someone from sending the kid with another close relative like an aunt which would also have a close resemblance to the child and trying to pass the relative off as the child’s mother in order to use the discount.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Blew By You

Haven't had that problem; however, we're all premium APs in my family. I attempt to use mine when making a transaction, but on occasions (when I'm not wearing my glasses), I'll take out my wife's or daughter's card. There hasn't been an issue and the CM cashier will take it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast