Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Court of Angels to close Sept. 28 - Jim Hill

Total bummer.

This was my favorite spot in the entire park. Didn't even know it had a name until I learned it here on micechat. I would get to DL, take the train to New Orleans Station, ride POTC, grab some coffee and hang out at Court of Angeles, recharging myself with magic for the rest of the day.

"Sux" isn't a strong enough word but it will have to suffice.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Senior Minion

For me "the final straw that broke the camel's back" was Christmas 2008, when I stepped into the Court of Angels -- a place which for 41 years had been my favorite spot in Disneyland -- and found it filled with tacky ODV displays of generic Disney character merchandise.

This latest move by the beancounter brigade just seals the deal.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Do they not know that this is one of the most beautiful and quietly beloved corners of the park, or do they really just not care?
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Closed Account

Well considering they've used it for ODV AND Pirates League I'm thinking.............they don't care. Don't forget. There's TWO Florida people in charge of DL now. And why do they need to close this whole spot for ONE elevator? They just can't hide the elevator?

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Okay, do we know for sure that this closure will be a permanent thing and that the public will not be allowed there anymore? Everyone is talking like the area will be walled off with barbed wire and painted black! I know the new entrance to C33 is going there, but does that really necessitate total ruin of this place? I'd like to think the new entrance would fit the atmosphere of the court and not ruin it, and that it will still be beautiful and open for the public to see, enter, and even propose in.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    Do they not know that this is one of the most beautiful and quietly beloved corners of the park, or do they really just not care?
    Sadly, management's view of Disneyland has no more relation to words like "quietly beloved" than they have to the management of Citibank, Time Warner, or any other Wall Street corporation.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

​From what I've seen lately, if it doesn't come with dollar signs, it doesn't count.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Yeah its a bummer that regular guests are probably no longer going to be able to enjoy this particular spot; but change is a part of life and a part of Disneyland. There are lots of other things to do/see at the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemsfreckles View Post
    Yeah its a bummer that regular guests are probably no longer going to be able to enjoy this particular spot; but change is a part of life and a part of Disneyland. There are lots of other things to do/see at the parks.
    I totally agree with this. Disney has money, yes, but it's their property to do with what they wish. Most guests don't really care because they're happy to be there regardless.

and good gravy, Disney wants to make money. What's so wrong with that?? Are they supposed to sit there and do nothing? It's like saying my seven eleven is a bunch of greedy pigs because they replaced my Arizonas with Brisks.... They change because they can and a large majority of people will benefit or not care.

In this case, A good majority of guests won't care one way or another and therefore Disney is doing this because they have determined that this won't effect very much opinions of the park.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• curiouser and curiouser

Wait a minute! Is it really closing for good or is it just during the expansion of Club 33?

• curiouser and curiouser

Ok, so I actually wrote an angry email to Disneyland. Maybe it's a little bit silly, I don't know if it will make any kind of impact or even be read, but at least I did something.
    Let me know what you think:

...I just wanted to ask if it's really true that the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square will be closing forever to the general public (i.e. non club 33 members) to make room for the club 33 expansion?

If so then this is an absolute outrage! I never thought that the day when the decision to rob the park of one of it's most historic and iconic locations in favor of catering to a few privileged number of guests would ever come!

If any place, this is one of the most common spot for people to propose to their loved ones, a place where most of them will never again be able to visit.
    It brought life and authenticity to the New Orleans French Quarter theme, and has for a long time been the favorite quiet spot in the park for many people.

Unlike Walt Disney World, who's guests are mostly tourists, It is my understanding that many of your guests are locals with annual passports who will most definitely know and miss the Court of Angels.
    Do you worry about the negative sentiments that non c33 members will experience as they walk past the area in the future? I know that for me it will be a very bitter pill to swallow, and I've already heard several people say that they will not be renewing their annual passports because of this.

As someone who grew up in SoCal and used to visit the park all the time as a kid but who now has moved to Europe and can therefor only visit once every couple of years, my trip to The Happiest Place On Earth in October will unfortunately not be a happy one.

Not only did I schedule my trip in late October / Early November (from Denmark!) so that I could experience the newly refurbished Big Thunder Mountain - which I've now learned will not be opening until February - I will also not make it in time to see the Court of Angels for the last time, as I've read that it will close on September 28.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Okay, do we know for sure that this closure will be a permanent thing and that the public will not be allowed there anymore? Everyone is talking like the area will be walled off with barbed wire and painted black! I know the new entrance to C33 is going there, but does that really necessitate total ruin of this place? I'd like to think the new entrance would fit the atmosphere of the court and not ruin it, and that it will still be beautiful and open for the public to see, enter, and even propose in.
    I'm wondering the same thing - is this not just a temporary closure for construction? I would assume the entrance wouldn't cause a full, permanent closure of the area, though I could be totally wrong!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Closed Account

I was told if enough people complain they may have a contingency plan to keep it open to guests.

• Closed Account

and good gravy, Disney wants to make money. What's so wrong with that?? Are they supposed to sit there and do nothing? It's like saying my seven eleven is a bunch of greedy pigs because they replaced my Arizonas with Brisks.... They change because they can and a large majority of people will benefit or not care.

In this case, A good majority of guests won't care one way or another and therefore Disney is doing this because they have determined that this won't effect very much opinions of the park.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you were asleep from 1998-2003. We made them pay and forced them to change when they were all about the money then and we'll do it again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast