Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Court of Angels to close Sept. 28 - Jim Hill

I was a kid then. Like most people, I didn't give a damn if they were closing a stairway off.

We're all stuck in the past, and too darn stubborn to let change take its place.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm truly glad I accidentally stumbled upon the court on a trip this past summer. It's going to be a sad day when all the changes have occurred. Hopefully they're not too drastic of changes.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    Wait a minute! Is it really closing for good or is it just during the expansion of Club 33?
    From Jim Hill's article:

Initial construction is just a month away, which begins with the shuttering
    of the L’Ornament Magique shop and the lovely Court of Angels. Phase one kicks
    off with installation of a new elevator in the courtyard, next to Le Bat en
    Rouge. The second-story “bridge” between and above Le Bat and the Arribas Bros
    Crystal Shop will then be widened and strengthened. L’Ornament Magique will be
    transformed into the club’s new entrance and check-in area. And, a stained glass
    overlay will be applied to the Court of Angels’ wrought iron gate, suggesting the courtyard will serve as the club’s lobby and presumably be closed off to the public.

No exact date has been leaked for when the restaurant will shut down for
    construction, but I’ve heard guesses of a start date as late as early January.
    But the last day for the Court of Angels as we know it is September 28.

“Cast members have been telling guests to take their pictures of the Court of Angels before the September date,” said one insider. “The overall mood has been downcast in New Orleans Square. It is no doubt the courtyard will become part of the Club. And the feeling is it will be closed off to the general public. The Club itself has not made any statement to say otherwise.”

• Banned User

I don't think they're going to make the Court of Angels part of Club 33, if only because having a private waiting area where it can rain into is kinda a bad idea. Also, don't think that *any* shops are going to be removed for a Club 33 expansion. When was the last time Disney decided to remove a gift shop from a theme park?

The current Club 33 entrance room works fine, and the small "step" up to the elevator could be fixed by making it a ramp, nonetheless, have seen guests in wheelchairs in that elevator, so doubt the Club 33 entrance is going anywhere, would be so much easier to expand it a bit into the Blue Bayou, though they might have to put up a steel beam to support a load bearing wall. ;-)

Due to fire code issues, if the area above the French Market is a guest area, then they need to have more fire exits for the whole second story complex, and that would involve putting an elevator/guest entry point at the Court of Angels. I doubt if Club 33 is 100% decided on what the restaurant will be, (Jazz club? Simple expansion?), and of course, membership issues and changes could mean that in the future the restaurant/lounge above the French Market could change ownership, i.e. be available for reservations for all park guests.

So, in all likelihood, the expansion will have its own entrance/exit, such that they could put a CM out there to call guests upstairs when their reservation time comes.

I always thought that a Haunted Mansion/HMH themed restaurant would work above the French Market as it would have views of the Haunted Mansion. It is no secret that the Court of Angels is in Princess and the Frog, as Dr. Facilier's haunts is sort of in a Court of Angels hidden space in New Orleans . . . maybe a haunted mansion/voodoo type restaurant would work there.

• Suspended

Maybe the stained glass overlay is to keep out the construction view??? I mean the actual construction does not start till Jan. So who knows. Also, I forget if CoA is connected to the rest of NoS or if it deadends there. And Disney has no prob removing shops. L'Ornament Magique has been closed for years and Gepettos has been closed for years for a meet n greet

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Maybe the stained glass overlay is to keep out the construction view??? I mean the actual construction does not start till Jan. So who knows. Also, I forget if CoA is connected to the rest of NoS or if it deadends there. And Disney has no prob removing shops. L'Ornament Magique has been closed for years and Gepettos has been closed for years for a meet n greet
    I don't think the gate will get a "stained glass" overlay . . . it would too easy for it to get broken if real glass, though I guess they could put in some sort composite which is multi-colored and frosted.

Club 33 only let's your party into the small elevator room when your table is ready and you only have to wait 5 minutes or so, if you're not within a couple minutes of your reservation, they make you wait outside in NOS. I don't think they would need a large waiting area for an expansion as presumably the same rules would apply, and you can't have guests waiting more than a certain length of time in an enclosed area without giving them access to bathrooms.

I kinda get the impression that the area above the French Market will at first be used for flex-space. For special events, and as a side business for Club 33, whether or not it is open to the general public. It is prime real estate with a view of the river, the train, and the Haunted Mansion, even better than Club 33's main dining room. Whoever the patrons are, they'll be raking in the cash I would wager.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ...Club 33 only let's your party into the small elevator room when your table is ready and you only have to wait 5 minutes or so, if you're not within a couple minutes of your reservation, they make you wait outside in NOS....
    Every fine dining establishment needs a lounge/waiting area, and certainly should be part of any Club 33 remodel.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    Every fine dining establishment needs a lounge/waiting area, and certainly should be part of any Club 33 remodel.
    Club 33 has worked well for decades without a large waiting area. You might spend at most 5 minutes in the elevator room, but the waiting area is actually the shops around NOS. If you get there too early, they just say, "we're not ready for your party yet", and you walk around the shops. Using Court of Angels as a lounge would be counterproductive, and a lot more boring than simply window shopping in NOS.

The CMs who man the door at Club 33, (it has an electric lock), couldn't be out in the open where general guests are as they'd have to spend a lot of time answering questions about why the restaurant is members only, etc . . . It's kinda supposed to be a speak-easy.

I guess I could see them annexing a shop in NOS to have a bigger wait area, but it's not really needed. Kinda think that what goes in over the French Market will have a different setup than Club 33, and will be used as a flex-area. I can see them selling special HMH dinner packages to general park guests, and using the Court of Angels as a nice entry to the restaurant above, (once again a stairs or elevator choice), but no reason to close it off to the public.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this Jim Hill fellow have a bit of a reputation for disseminating information that is sometimes less than accurate?

What a horrible idea. That is a jewel of a space.

The description reads as though they think they can somehow improve Club 33 by diminishing and removing a lot of the charm that surrounds it. Faulty reasoning.

• Mililani, Hawaii

Originally the "Bridge" area was a lounge. A remodel added the bar and made it more of just a passageway.
    Next DLR Trip: 6-11 Oct 2010
    Club 33: A really big fan...
    Olszewski Fan

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyhi View Post
    Originally the "Bridge" area was a lounge. A remodel added the bar and made it more of just a passageway.
    The bridge is STILL the lounge. The bar is over the area below, adjacent to the main ballroom. The lounge is actually more of a hallway with a few chaises/chairs, but its where we waited for 15 minutes (after a 10 minute wait in the elevator room downstairs, so yes, you can spend some prolonged time waiting just to go up after your reservation time) for our table to be ready. The service was great while waiting though, and we were happy to soak up the atmosphere and ask
    "are we really here" over and over and over...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I was a kid then. Like most people, I didn't give a damn if they were closing a stairway off.

We're all stuck in the past, and too darn stubborn to let change take its place.
    Conversely though there will be those who feel that change, just for the sake of change, isn't the way to go about it either. There are as many people out there who believe that sometimes things need to just be left alone. If it works, let it be.

If it's an intricate detail such as this beautiful little New Orleans courtyard that has added dimension to some guests' experience, they like to still see it there. And I believe that it really has little to do with the past and more to do with appreciating an interesting detail that adds something to an area.

Disneyland is such a unique creation that had (and still has) Walt's stamp on it. And it is a stamp that holds something very special for many people. When people think that the park is straying from that as it becomes more commercialized, they will feel uncomfortable with it.

Of course, this will be my generation....those who were born when Walt was still alive and then saw his creation as seen through his eyes, and the eyes of his immediate cohorts who stayed the course of the ideals that Walt had for his creation. A place that allowed us to venture into some of his beloved classic movies, while also having a chance to explore history, literature, and adventures that didn't necessarily link to a movie.

Understandably we're moving long past that time and as we get further and further from Walt things will change. And many won't really care. Because they didn't have that special connection to the park that we grew up with. That's how it is.

I think people have a right to appreciate what makes Disneyland special for them though without being dismissed as being stuck in the past. Because I really don't think that's always the case. Many from older generations will understand change, but they will also embody the thought that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this Jim Hill fellow have a bit of a reputation for disseminating information that is sometimes less than accurate?
    The Jim Hill Media website does not seem to load correctly (the page is crowded with banner ads).
    The article linked by the OP is written by David Koenig, is that a pseudonym for Jim Hill?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    The article linked by the OP is written by David Koenig, is that a pseudonym for Jim Hill?
    No, David Koenig is the respected author of several books on Disneyland and Walt Disney World. He has a regular column on Mouseplanet.

The OP posted the correct link but mis-identified the author as Jim Hill.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast