Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

Re: Court of Angels to close Sept. 28 - Jim Hill

Its awful to see the majority of change in Disneyland in approximately the last 2 years has been retail oriented. The loss of Carnation Gardens to PFF, Blue Ribbon into Carnation, AP processing center to Jolly Holiday, Disneyanna into part of Starbucks and now Court of Angles into part of Club 33. We did get Fantasyland Theater back, thank god, and how long ago was StarTours 2.0? Overall its not nearly enough. New rides/lands are way overdue.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

Why was losing the "AP Processing Center" from the center of the park a bad thing? Serious question.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Why was losing the "AP Processing Center" from the center of the park a bad thing? Serious question.
    I think the point was that a lot of the recent changes in Disneyland have been less than E-Tickets. Some are new restaurants, new meet and greets (not necessarily a favorite of all fans), . . . the last land to open at Disneyland was Toontown in 1993. I personally don't think Club 33 will takeover the Court of Angels.

Bob Iger recently announced that "exciting things" are coming to Disneyland, announcements to follow in the next couple months, from the Boston Globe:

The hints followed comments by chairman and CEO Robert Iger, who said on a conference call Tuesday that the Burbank, Calif.-based company plans to announce new attractions in Disneyland, the original park in Anaheim opened by the founder of Walt Disney in 1955. Disney acquired ‘‘Star Wars’’ maker Lucasfilm last year for $4.1 billion.
    ‘‘We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’

I know that some like the Mickey and the Magic Map show, but if they took out this theatre, and most (all?) of Toontown, they'd have that space, plus more behind of the Fantasyland Theater to expand Fantasyland, maybe put in some awesome stuff like a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Belle's village, maybe a Ratatouille clone . . . who knows? Maybe some all new attractions. I think Roger Rabbit is a kinda dated ride, and haven't personally been on it in years.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think the point was that a lot of the recent changes in Disneyland have been less than E-Tickets. Some are new restaurants, new meet and greets (not necessarily a favorite of all fans), . . . the last land to open at Disneyland was Toontown in 1993.
    Oh no, new restaurants. Not all additions can or should be an E-ticket.

If this is a permanent closure of the Court of Angels then the news is incredibly sad. Think of the countless numbers of people who have had their photographs taken in that lovely area - couples on their honeymoon, celebrating anniversaries, family reunions (perhaps with loved ones no longer among the living). It's easy to say, when looking at a photograph, that we have the memory of that special place and time. Here is the point that Disney misses. Each and every time you return to Disneyland, the opportunity is there to relive that memory in the moment, to see it as it was all over again. When places like the Court of Angels are removed then they take a little bit of Disneyland's heart and soul with it. They are killing the memories for the sake of profits. Yes, slowly but surely corporate Disney is making the place a soulless shell of its former self. Its not about guests at all. Its about a massive money making machine.

And still the people keep coming.
    Last edited by DisneylandTraveler; 08-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

I've stopped going. I'm tired of feeling like I need to shell out for everything, and you pay at the gate, too. Everything's got to be an upgrade, and the "regular" guest gets left out.

This "upgrade" is for the already-priviledged at the expense of the regular guest. Again.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

This is where my husband proposed to me two years ago. Every trip we've made we take a new picture in front of it. Our next trip is schedule for October 2nd so it looks like we won't get to have another one there again. This really breaks my heart.

Curiouser and curiouser...

I think they should get rid of Club 33, reinforce the existing structure, and put a nice little Fantasyland-style Princess and the Frog darkride up there. Something for the masses!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I think they should get rid of Club 33, reinforce the existing structure, and put a nice little Fantasyland-style Princess and the Frog darkride up there. Something for the masses!
    I heard they're putting in a loop.
    While just a humorous post from MousePlanet, it is just as accurate as the David Koenig article which repeats comments posted on other boards:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koenig (article) View Post
    No exact date has been leaked for when the restaurant will shut down for construction, but I’ve heard guesses of a start date as late as early January.
    I heard the same thing in this post on DISboards
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I suspect the Club will go down after Jan 6th.... For how long is anyone's guess. That is only MY GUESS.
    The early January shutdown may likely be accurate, but future public access to the Court of Angels is anyone's GUESS.

If my friend who works at the Archives, of all places, doesn't know, then I doubt anyone else will......................

•   
    • Disneyland History Lover

I have a hard time believing that they would remove the Court of Angels from public access. While they haven't confirmed much of anything one way or the other, there are some things that Disney knows it can't do, and this is likely one of them. As someone who's never been fortunate enough to experience Club 33, all I have to go by are what others who have say about it. It sounds like, at least on this forum, the general consensus is that most of these updates aren't needed. And I must agree that change for the sake of change in a theme park setting (not just from a historical standpoint, but also from a monetary one) is poor business. I truly hope that amidst these changes, the Court of Angels remains largely as it is and that Disney continues to make it available to everyone. But of course, it's better to be safe than sorry, so maybe the time to start writing and sounding off to Disney is now.

I also liked the rather quiet atmosphere of that little area. I mean come on...you don't always want to be among crowds and crowds of people.

There's just something nice and relaxing about those stairs leading up, and that little statue in the wall.

Take your pictures and say your goodbyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    I was told if enough people complain they may have a contingency plan to keep it open to guests.
    I wish I could believe that but I can't imagine a total redesign this far in

But I bet they'll make it a part of the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

This past Sunday before I headed back to Northern California, I made a quick run over to the park and spent some time snapping photos as well as one with me in it then just quietly sat for a bit on the stairs taking it all in as much as possible. Then with sadness I said my goodbyes. Gonna miss it quite a bit.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast