Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Golden Zephyr is down Indefinitely

Prefacing this with the fact that I've never been to DLR...

I have a sentimental attachment to all of these "vintage" style rocket rides. Our local amusement park had one forever. It was the ride my dad ran for 3 summers in his late teens and part of the reason he met my mother (blind date arranged by his co-operator).

Aside from that, I agree with those who tout the GZ as a gentle throwback ride that is well-themed to the pier. I hope they are able to keep it around.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I enjoy the Zephyr as well as the carousels. I'm not sure why exactly, but I do find it fun going in circles at slow speeds.

• "What? What?"

This one is tough. I think it is a pretty lame ride. Ride it once, and not again. I appreciate the idea of it being "historic" but that isn't good enough reason to keep it. However, it's not a bad ride, and I can't imagine doing much with the space in its place. So, I guess you might as well keep it.

• keh!

I guess people have no choice but to get their spinner fix on either Silly Symphony Swings, King Triton's Carousel, Junkyard Jamboree, Flik's Flyers, Dumbo, or King Arthur's Carousel.

•   
    • Minion

I love the Zephyr. It's higher up than the other spinners (except the Swings) and you get to actually fly out over the water, which I love. And the rockets are visually very cool.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

When I went to the park Thursday the 17th I noticed that the list of closed attractions at the bag check did not have GZ listed any more, but the wait time board did still say it was under refurbishment. I asked the guest relations cast member if it was in fact still down and she said yes, so I asked when it will re-open and she pulled out a piece of paper and told me it would re-open on the 15th. She then realized the current date and basically said she had no idea when it was supposed to open back up, so if there is a re-opening date it's not being clearly communicated to anybody in the parks as to when it is.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Donald's #1 Fan

The Golden Zephyr is a strange thing, at least to me.

It's the symbol of everything that's wrong about DCA - a cheap, no name off the shelf ride tacked on a fake pier.

But it looks SO cool at night.

I'm actually not sure if I've ever rode this one. Certainly not anytime recently. I guess that says how memorable it is.

Maybe if they took the space occupied by both the Golden Zephyr and Jumpin' Jellyfish they could make something worthwhile.

• Foolish Mortal

Never have, never will. (i'm not a fan of rides that just go in circles, they make me feel not so fresh)

• Minion

Not every ride has to be a thrill ride. GZ adds to the atmosphere by having something old-fashioned in an area that is supposed to look old-fashioned the same way the Main Street Vehicles are neither a great thrill nor an efficient means of transportation, but they add something by just being there. It also adds visual motion to make the area look more alive the way the PeopleMover, Skyway, and Rocket Jets used to do to Tomorrowland.

I only question the wisdom of having a ride that has to shut down every time there is more than a slight breeze.

Hairy Baby!

• Greetings, Program!

Ride was up and running Friday night. Got to take my wife and 1 1/2 year old on it. Was out first nighttime ride. Much different when the thousands of lights of Paradise Pier are shining and spinning all around you. Loved watching my son react to it. Glad it's back.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Golden Zephyr is everything that Golden Dreams never was....such as fun, dynamic, breezy, above water and Whoopie free! It's earned a little rest.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-20-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Shouldn't it be called the Silver Zephyr since, you know, the rockets are silver?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    The Golden Zephyr is a strange thing, at least to me.

It's the symbol of everything that's wrong about DCA - a cheap, no name off the shelf ride tacked on a fake pier.

But it looks SO cool at night.
    It's actually anything but off the shelf. the design is a homage to the Traver Circle Swings which had previously been popular in the 20s and 30s and slowly faded away. Much like the Mark Twain - the Zephyr was the first of it's kind built in several decades. The oldest running Circle Swing is in Blackpool Pleasure Beach and has been in continuous operation since 1904. It's the oldest running amusement ride in Europe.

I also believe that for awhile, the one in Blackpool and the one at DCA were the only two in operation in the entire world, much like the Sun Wheel and the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island were the only two eccentric wheels in the United States.

There is actually a lot of history in the Golden Zephyr.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by mandelbrot View Post
    Shouldn't it be called the Silver Zephyr since, you know, the rockets are silver?
    The Zephyr is referring to the wind. Golden Zephyr = California Wind. It's still a pretty ironic name though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast