Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

All debating aside, I think it looks great. I love the wooden fence for the queue, I'm glad it won't be so cramped as it was before, and I hope they will no longer sell the same kitchen wares that you can get anywhere else in the park. The signage is much more subtle than I expected, and looks much better than the Swift signage from yesteryear. I don't drink black coffee, but I'll be looking forward to ordering specialty iced teas and caramel macchiatos

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Who is this directed towards? Who do you think does not know Disneyland history?
    In regards to your first question, the question is aimed at those complaining about Starbucks being a BRAND. In regards to your second question, you honestly think just because we post on MiceChat automatically means all of us know every single thing about Disneyland? Or was I misinterpreting your question?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    In regards to your first question, the question is aimed at those complaining about Starbucks being a BRAND. In regards to your second question, you honestly think just because we post on MiceChat automatically means all of us know every single thing about Disneyland? Or was I misinterpreting your question?
    Nobody has denied the past sponsors or their sometimes questionable placement. The issue is not BRANDS, it is BRAND IDENTITY. People just pointing out different past sponsors does not do anything to address the points being made.

• Minion

Nobody has denied the past sponsors or their sometimes questionable placement. The issue is not BRANDS, it is BRAND IDENTITY. People just pointing out different past sponsors does not do anything to address the points being made.
    No one was saying BRAND IDENTITY. Mostly everyone kept complaining about the fact that Starbucks is a BRAND, which didn't make sense, hence my point. I also don't see the point of BRAND IDENTITY.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

No one was saying BRAND IDENTITY. Mostly everyone kept complaining about the fact that Starbucks is a BRAND, which didn't make sense, hence my point. I also don't see the point of BRAND IDENTITY.
    Then maybe you can tell us why a new Starbucks commercial pushing nostalgia and days gone by would not be totally unexpected and out of character for the company.

• Minion

Then maybe you can tell us why a new Starbucks commercial pushing nostalgia and days gone by would not be totally unexpected and out of character for the company.
    How does this relate to the subject? Nostalgic Starbucks commercials (I've never seen a Starbucks commercial)? I'm confused.

• Closed Account

It makes sense. The same way certain BRANDS just don't belong on Main Street. McDonalds, Nordstroms, Penney's, Sears, Radio Shack, Burger King, In-and-Out, Gatorade, Lays, Apple, ad nauseum.

Some brands make sense. (Coke, Carnation, Santa Fe). Some do nothing but destroy THEME (even though quite profitable, which, interestingly, some folks seem to LOVE).

FYI Starbucks fans--Your theme park is eroding and you don't even know it, because you're so focused on that Grande Frappe Latté.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

How does this relate to the subject? Nostalgic Starbucks commercials (I've never seen a Starbucks commercial)? I'm confused.
    It relates to the idea of brand identity and the image cultivated by some companies. If you can't imagine a [insert brand name] commercial utilizing Main Street, USA -esque then it says something about the identity of the brand and its appropriateness for the environment.

• Iron-Clad Allie

As juxtaposed to Disneyland's early commercial brand hawking such as Coke, Aunt Jamima and Sunkist, Starbucks is trending as a more contemporary nostalgia. The park has always engendered itself to guests based on contemporary interests with respect to attractions and products alike. Walt may well have lost the park had it not been for the overt sponsorships of different companies. The Main Street era themed Starbucks is a brilliant component.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

It relates to the idea of brand identity and the image cultivated by some companies. If you can't imagine a [insert brand name] commercial utilizing Main Street, USA -esque then it says something about the identity of the brand and its appropriateness for the environment.
    I don't remember there ever being many Starbucks commercials. Nevertheless, I am compelled to frequent the place on my own. plus I'm invited by a good number of friends regularly. Media commercials are not the only way to cultivate and embed brand identity into society's collective conscious. Starbucks coffee and cocoa (etc) products are deliciously appropriate.

• Vroom, vroom!

I think that the great debate here isn't so much about the fact that Starbucks Coffee is being served in this location, but rather what Starbucks reminds some people of.

When I think of Starbucks, I think of either one of two things, snooty hipsters, or CEO's. Now, I'll just bring this up now, EVERY COFFEE SHOP HAS THESE THINGS. And just because Starbucks is now in Disneyland, it doesn't mean that the park is suddenly going to be flooded with hipsters, at least, not more than already anyway. (I was into the mouse, before it was cool...)

Now, I'm going to have to be blunt, and to the point when it comes to the new interior design. As much as I would LOVE for Main Street to keep it's small individual shops all over, and not have the buildings connected like a giant mall, some of the locations DO need this. It's not a matter of what we like, it's a matter of crowd control. With the new way that Disney runs things, with cheep annual passes, and the massive crowds that are drawn in for special seasonal events, or vacation times, even if EVERY restraunt in DL sold Starbucks coffee, the Main St. location would become the busiest at two times of the day, opening, and closing times. Everyone wants a cup on the way in to wake up and do things, and most want a cup on the way out so they can stay awake for the drive home. Again, I am not saying that it should be designed that way. But with how massive the crowds get, there really is no choice in the matter, and I think that the design is well done for what needs to be done.

Now, if I had my way, it would be Dutch Bros coffee or Peerless instead of Starbucks, but that's just personal taste.

Will I deny that Starbucks is purely a move to make money off of the brand name? No. It really is, but you have to remember that Disneyland, even since the beginning of the park had sponsors for different things, all of which were the biggest and most popular of their time.

At the time, many of these companies had been around since the turn of the century, but at the time that meant anywhere from 100 to 21 years of being in business. With Starbucks being founded in 1971, that makes it now, 42 years old, older than Hollywood Maxwell's was when it opened it's intimate apparel shop on Main St. with the rest of Disneyland in 1955.
    So, if it's a matter of the age of the company, then that is again a moot point because there have been modern, or relatively new companies selling modern things on Main St. since the beginning of the park.

Long story infinite, the design looks great, and in my opinion, people are more worried about the image that Starbucks brings to mind outside the park, than what they can offer inside the park.

And that is, a fairly good cup of coffee that can be customized down exactly how you want it.

Name:  Mlpfim-character-apple-jack-large-570x402.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  89.3 KB
    Last edited by Scary Scott; 08-28-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot image.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Judging by how inconspicuous the Starbucks in DCA is, and seeing how the Market House will still be the Market House, I'm ok with this. Much better than the Nescafe crap.
    Last edited by Captain_Jenny1987; 08-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    My adventures in Wonderland began when I followed the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole. All of the sudden--I fell! Down... down... down...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

Some brands make sense. (Coke, Carnation, Santa Fe). Some do nothing but destroy THEME (even though quite profitable, which, interestingly, some folks seem to LOVE).

How is the Starbucks brand destroying the theme? The Market House depicted in the concept art appears to be well-themed, and it does not scream the modern Starbucks that you suggest. In fact, Starbucks references are quite subtle. There are no modern electronic Starbucks signs that you would find at a typical Starbucks. There are no modern looking tables/chairs that you can find in a typical Starbucks. There are no modern looking designs in the interior that you would find in a typical Starbucks. Sure, they are expanding the room in favor of more queue space, but in an increasingly busy park like Disneyland, efficiency is important when considering guest satisfaction.

The brand identity does scream modern in the Starbucks found at malls or near your house, but at Disneyland this is changed entirely to blend into the environment.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Scott View Post
    I think that the great debate here isn't so much about the fact that Starbucks Coffee is being served in this location, but rather what Starbucks reminds some people of.

When I think of Starbucks, I think of either one of two things, snooty hipsters, or CEO's. Now, I'll just bring this up now, EVERY COFFEE SHOP HAS THESE THINGS. And just because Starbucks is now in Disneyland, it doesn't mean that the park is suddenly going to be flooded with hipsters, at least, not more than already anyway. (I was into the mouse, before it was cool...)

Now, I'm going to have to be blunt, and to the point when it comes to the new interior design. As much as I would LOVE for Main Street to keep it's small individual shops all over, and not have the buildings connected like a giant mall, some of the locations DO need this. It's not a matter of what we like, it's a matter of crowd control. With the new way that Disney runs things, with cheep annual passes, and the massive crowds that are drawn in for special seasonal events, or vacation times, even if EVERY restraunt in DL sold Starbucks coffee, the Main St. location would become the busiest at two times of the day, opening, and closing times. Everyone wants a cup on the way in to wake up and do things, and most want a cup on the way out so they can stay awake for the drive home. Again, I am not saying that it should be designed that way. But with how massive the crowds get, there really is no choice in the matter, and I think that the design is well done for what needs to be done.

Now, if I had my way, it would be Dutch Bros coffee or Peerless instead of Starbucks, but that's just personal taste.

Will I deny that Starbucks is purely a move to make money off of the brand name? No. It really is, but you have to remember that Disneyland, even since the beginning of the park had sponsors for different things, all of which were the biggest and most popular of their time.

At the time, many of these companies had been around since the turn of the century, but at the time that meant anywhere from 100 to 21 years of being in business. With Starbucks being founded in 1971, that makes it now, 42 years old, older than Hollywood Maxwell's was when it opened it's intimate apparel shop on Main St. with the rest of Disneyland in 1955.
    So, if it's a matter of the age of the company, then that is again a moot point because there have been modern, or relatively new companies selling modern things on Main St. since the beginning of the park.

Long story infinite, the design looks great, and in my opinion, people are more worried about the image that Starbucks brings to mind outside the park, than what they can offer inside the park.

And that is, a fairly good cup of coffee that can be customized down exactly how you want it.

Name:  Mlpfim-character-apple-jack-large-570x402.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  89.3 KB
    You can certainly say that again. A blend for every pallet.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    And don't forget the biggest problem everyone seems to forget...the huge amounts of coffee needed to be made quickly and efficiently. There is a reason SB needs all their custom equipment and thorough training. When you don't have SB, you end up with crap coffee served slower than molasses(Nescafe).
    Starbucks doesn't just brew up a batch of coffee that they dole out to customers. Since they have their "routine" that they have to go through, it will take ten times longer to serve a cup of coffee. People complaining about the lines at Market House BEFORE Starbucks will have even more to complain about when having to wait behind an even bigger crowd (needing a Starbucks fix) and the extra time it takes to prepare their favorite mix.

The coffee itself is NOT all that difficult to make. It's all the special treatment it gets that's the problem. They could easily and quickly make and serve GOOD Starbucks coffee (way better than the BAD coffee Disney currently sells) if they didn't have to provide it with all the bells and whistles. Going to the EXTREME of creating the barista specials is probably the key reason that they have to provide such a huge storage pen for guests.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast