Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 403
  1. #256

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    763

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yes, it is. It's about the perception that brand engenders in a large majority of the population: Fast-paced lifestyle, trendy beverages, "Barristas," Tall, Grande, Venti, Trenta (Can't believe we're going to hear those terms uttered on Main Street); modern consumer culture, soft jazz and alternative music, etc. etc. etc.
    I never realized that Italian was considered "trendy".





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  2. #257

    • Mrs. J. Depp
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,093

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I never realized that Italian was considered "trendy".
    Starbucks is very loosely based on some Italian words and that's about it. In Italy, there are very few, if any Starbucks chains. It's because Italian coffee is some of the best coffee in existence so Starbucks just seems like mud.


    Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

  3. #258

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    763

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Starbucks is very loosely based on some Italian words and that's about it. In Italy, there are very few, if any Starbucks chains. It's because Italian coffee is some of the best coffee in existence so Starbucks just seems like mud.
    I didn't mean to suggest that there are stores in Italy. That really doesn't pertain to the conversation. They use Italian verbiage for the sizes because it denotes the number of ounces, i.e. Venti and Trenta. Cappuccino is Italian as well.

    I just have a problem with the poster's suggestion that a foreign language is considered "trendy" when in fact it has a purpose. It is extremly xenophobic in my opinion to suggest otherwise.

    Also, coffee doesn't come from Italy. The vast majority comes from Columbia. The process of making Cappuccino orginated in Italy though.





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  4. #259

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    308

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by Hank McCoy View Post
    This does seem to be more of a thread about hating Starbucks then the Market House redesign. I am curious to know what the reactions would have been if the same redesign came to the Market House and the coffee was not changed in the least.
    I haven't really been tracking the proportion of brand vs. redesign, but personally, I feel that replacing Disneyland's old BAD coffee with Starbucks GOOD coffee isn't that much of an issue as long as the SB coffee isn't promoted as the elite brand they want to be recognized as.

    My major issue is with the redesign of the Market House interior into a modern (in spite of the "themeing" [note the quotes!]) Starbucks coffee shop. While there may be some that feel the redesign isn't that much of an issue, in fact, it really IS. Even those who have the bigger issue with the coffee brand will still agree to that.

  5. #260

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    308

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    As crowds at Disneyland increase, the quaint interior you desire becomes unorderly and sloppy as people crowd it. I'm sure a refurbishment like this was inevitable regardless of Starbucks coming in, as seen in 2012 with the Ice Cream Parlor and Emporium refurbishment. Apple sells electronic devices which sells a product that would not work anyways, while Starbucks sells coffee to replace coffee that was already sold there. And as for Walmart, it is considered cheap while Starbucks is considered classy. Starbucks products are not cheap because they are of higher quality, unlike most of Walmart's products. At Disneyland, it should be a good thing to strive for higher quality options in terms of guest satisfaction.

    But really, if you guys really don't want to be reminded of the outside world at all, then there should really be no brands at all, even the ones you are fine with in Disneyland. Coke, while period appropriate, lacks the originality and creativity that you guys call for, and it definitely reminds me of the outside world, as I can see Coca Cola everywhere. Coca Cola is not the same as it was at the turn of the 20th century, it is a monster corporation out there to get our business. The Coke being sold now is not the same- it is modernized, trendy, found everywhere- things that you guys are asserting against Starbucks. It is not fair that one brand gets a free pass while the other is deemed to not belong solely because of its modern "identity" and the fact that it was not sold in the same time period being evoked.
    That kind of attitude could eventually lead to every shop and restaurant in the park being converted into the modern efficient equivalent. What good is themeing at all if it's just going to be ignored in favor of modern efficiency. Brand issues aside, the shop/restaurant layouts could eventually all become the same as their "real world" versions. The Walmart (Costco, Kmart, Target) comparisons are not too off target if concern for the park's historical themeing concepts are just ignored in favor of modern merchandising strategies.

    Malls are the perfect location for these strategies. And there won't be anyone challenging the decision (unless they actually hate the Starbucks, McDonalds, JC Penny's, Sears, Nordstroms, etc. BRANDS). Interior design layouts certainly WON'T be the issue.

  6. #261

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    308

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that there are stores in Italy. That really doesn't pertain to the conversation. They use Italian verbiage for the sizes because it denotes the number of ounces, i.e. Venti and Trenta. Cappuccino is Italian as well.

    I just have a problem with the poster's suggestion that a foreign language is considered "trendy" when in fact it has a purpose. It is extremly xenophobic in my opinion to suggest otherwise.
    Until Starbucks began using the terms exclusively as part of their trendy coffee, the terms were never a part of general American lexicon.

  7. #262

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,821

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    That kind of attitude could eventually lead to every shop and restaurant in the park being converted into the modern efficient equivalent. What good is themeing at all if it's just going to be ignored in favor of modern efficiency. Brand issues aside, the shop/restaurant layouts could eventually all become the same as their "real world" versions. The Walmart (Costco, Kmart, Target) comparisons are not too off target if concern for the park's historical themeing concepts are just ignored in favor of modern merchandising strategies.
    The theming is not being ignored. Take a look at the concept art again. They are blending a modern, efficient queue layout with turn of the 20th century aesthetics. With increasing crowds each year, efficiency should most certainly be a concern.

  8. #263

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    My major issue is with the redesign of the Market House interior into a modern (in spite of the "themeing" [note the quotes!]) Starbucks coffee shop. While there may be some that feel the redesign isn't that much of an issue, in fact, it really IS. Even those who have the bigger issue with the coffee brand will still agree to that.
    Like I have stated I think the design fits really good and matches the rest of Main Street. of course I haven't seen it in real life yet to form a real opinion yet. Those who don't like the design should check out the stores in WWoHP in Orlando. Yes they look awesome but man they are SMALL and cannot take the amount of vistors that are in them. It's very awkward to go through them and realy enjoy them. The market house felt the same bfore and I believe the new design will help with that while keeping the old feel as well.

  9. #264

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,165
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I think the Apple store reference doesn't hold any value since mainstreet doesn't have a store that is like it already. if Disney had a "IDisney" store selling low quality MP3 players and laptops on main street then it would be relevant to suggest a swap from the IDisney store to a apple store. In the case of the Market house they are replacing a brand of coffee. Something that exists today with something else that exists.
    You're justifying an error with an error. There shouldn't be an electronics store on Main Street, USA. Market House is not just seeing a one-to-one swap of products. There was nothing like the Starbucks menu before.

  10. #265

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,165
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Like I have stated I think the design fits really good and matches the rest of Main Street. of course I haven't seen it in real life yet to form a real opinion yet. Those who don't like the design should check out the stores in WWoHP in Orlando. Yes they look awesome but man they are SMALL and cannot take the amount of vistors that are in them. It's very awkward to go through them and realy enjoy them. The market house felt the same bfore and I believe the new design will help with that while keeping the old feel as well.
    They're small for a reason, because that smallness is authentic to the village experience. It's not a place with massive department stores hidden behind facades. And despite what Disney insists, people have responded positively because they appreciate the commitment to the experience over operator convenience.

  11. #266

    • Sorcerer Supreme Bean
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    You're justifying an error with an error. There shouldn't be an electronics store on Main Street, USA. Market House is not just seeing a one-to-one swap of products. There was nothing like the Starbucks menu before.
    I believe they sold fancy coffee and pastries in the Market House prior to this change.

    As well as tins of coffee and tea and various drinking utensils.

    Sounds like the inside of a Starbucks already
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

  12. #267

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    763

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Until Starbucks began using the terms exclusively as part of their trendy coffee, the terms were never a part of general American lexicon.
    Yep. That's it exactly. Cappuccino: trendy since 1650.





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  13. #268

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I never realized that Italian was considered "trendy".
    I never realized that I wrote that Italian was considered trendy.

    I thought my modifier applied only to the beverages themselves.

  14. #269

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    763

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I never realized that I wrote that Italian was considered trendy.

    I thought my modifier applied only to the beverages themselves.
    Yep again.... Coffee: trendy since the 1500's.





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  15. #270

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Yep again.... Coffee: trendy since the 1500's.
    Coffee--not trendy.

    Venti, sugar-free, non-fat, vanilla soy, double shot, decaf, no foam, extra hot, Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with light whip and extra syrup.

    Trendy.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade Farewell Season
    By mikeysmommy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
  2. [Pictures] New spotlights Main Street roof?
    By 3rdshiftCM in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
  3. 1986 Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade Commercial
    By Ex-SmallWorld CM in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 10:49 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •