Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Coffee--not trendy.

Venti, sugar-free, non-fat, vanilla soy, double shot, decaf, no foam, extra hot, Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with light whip and extra syrup.

Trendy.
    I think a company that has existed since the early 70's has outlived the 'trend' stage of its corporate existence.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Coffee--not trendy.

Venti, sugar-free, non-fat, vanilla soy, double shot, decaf, no foam, extra hot, Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with light whip and extra syrup.

Trendy.
    How is that any different than black coffee or coffee with cream and sugar?

Or Sprite instead of Coke?

Or Mint chocolate chip, cookie dough, cookies and cream, mocha almond fudge, or rainbow sherbet ice cream being sold at Gibson Girl?

Or half the modern items sold at The Emporium?

Look, there are plenty of anachronisms in Disneyland. They are totally unavoidable. I think the nitpicking over Starbucks is just that: nitpicking. This isn't the end of the world. People seriously need to stop living in the 50's. It wasn't as great as some folks would lead you to believe.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

If the coffee was so bad, then why was the Market House apparently bursting at the seams?
    First of all, the Market House appeared to be bursting at its seams because of the small, cramped queue area. Recall that only a small portion of the floor space was used as a queue area. The modern-looking metal and rope queue wound around just the front of the store, around a tall post and a display of tacky kitchen items. Rather than continuing through the store, the overflow queue was sent out the door, making it seem like the store was bursting at its seams.

Secondly, caffeine consumption is an addiction and people will buy and drink whatever coffee is available if the need arises. It does not prevent them from complaining about the quality of said coffee. I don't know how many people complained about the coffee at city hall over the years, but I did see a lot of griping here and other places on the internet before the Starbucks announcement.

Finally, it can be argued that the shops on Main Street were already "ruined" by the One Disney merchandising model in which we see the same merchandise sold at any store in the park. The shops along Main Street have already lost some of the charm that made them unique.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    How is that any different than black coffee or coffee with cream and sugar?

Or Sprite instead of Coke?

Or Mint chocolate chip, cookie dough, cookies and cream, mocha almond fudge, or rainbow sherbet ice cream being sold at Gibson Girl?

Or half the modern items sold at The Emporium?

Look, there are plenty of anachronisms in Disneyland. They are totally unavoidable. I think the nitpicking over Starbucks is just that: nitpicking. This isn't the end of the world. People seriously need to stop living in the 50's. It wasn't as great as some folks would lead you to believe.
    Great points.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. Universal increasingly is going for the unique "elsewhen" experience, while Disney increasingly is going for the pre-sold franchise brand experience associated with modern mall culture.

Once upon a time, Disney's ideal was to create experiences unique to inside the berm. Experiences that evoked other times and other places. Not any more. No matter how much faux period decor Disney tries to disguise it with, the venue and menu say high-volume mall Starbucks, complete with its associations of modern commuter-consumer lifestyle.

All of which is completely in keeping with Disney Corp's vision for Disneyland as a marketing-mall-with-rides, the purpose of which is to capitalize on selling pre-popularized franchise brands to a mass customer base of branded-lifestyle consumers. Disneyland's once world-famous originality, ingenuity, imagination and freshness is being replaced by a beancounter's heaven of brands, brands, and more brands -- all as interchangeable as Starbucks' paper cups, and ultimately as disposable.
    Yes. This. Disney isn't as special as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Would the layout be ok if they didn't change the brand of coffee? If the answer is yes to that I would just shake my head because really I don't see a difference between starbucks, peets, maxwell house, Von's generic blend etc. They are all coffee being served in the park to me. In the case of the market house new layout I think it looks great regardless of the coffee being served. They addressed a bad layout for increasing crowds in the parks.

I would hate the new layout no matter the brand. If it were only the brand of coffee they were changing, then whatever. But it's become a lot more generic than it was and it's just meh in my opinion, given the concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    Finally, it can be argued that the shops on Main Street were already "ruined" by the One Disney merchandising model in which we see the same merchandise sold at any store in the park. The shops along Main Street have already lost some of the charm that made them unique.

Yep. Exactly. No point shopping in any of the stores in the park, you can get it all on the way out at World of Disney and not have to carry it around all day.

Regretting less and less the loss of my AP. Wondering how much longer before I want to go back. Trying to decide if I should get more memories and pictures before they ruin it entirely.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Down Pluto!

Secondly, caffeine consumption is an addiction and people will buy and drink whatever coffee is available if the need arises.
    Do not speak for me. I am addicted to caffeine in coffee that I like. I drink a lot of coffee, and I will not consume what I consider bad coffee just for the "addiction."

This generalization for me spoils your argument.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Nits, when they build the thematic experiences, are called Details.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Do not speak for me. I am addicted to caffeine in coffee that I like. I drink a lot of coffee, and I will not consume what I consider bad coffee just for the "addiction."

This generalization for me spoils your argument.
    I dont think First Star's intention was to speak for you personally

Nor do I think they were wrong in their observation that people (not meaning everyone) are so addicted to caffeine, that they'll pretty much drink anything containing it.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post

Nor do I think they were wrong in their observation that people (not meaning everyone) are so addicted to caffeine, that they'll pretty much drink anything containing it.
    Exactly. Just trying to explain the behavior of the people who were drinking the dreck known as Nescafé. Not other coffee drinkers who wisely avoided it. Didn't mean to imply that all coffee drinkers are desperate for their next fix

But I think we can all agree that caffeine is one of the more addictive legal substances available, and that it is tempting to drink whatever is available on Main Street as you trudge out at the end of 16 straight hours of hiking around Disneyland.

I've read everyone's comments. I feel your passion.

Market House was where I had my first cup of coffee, five years ago, and I chose the hazelnut flavor at the CM's suggestion. I found it delicious. What did I know from "good" coffee? I was a virgin, after all. I really enjoyed those free refills!

I'm intimidated by Starbucks. How can you begin to learn all the intricacies of ordering? Hopefully I can learn to order a 50-syllable favorite someday, too!

I don't believe the *new* Market House will hamper my Main Street experience, because it's already been unalterably changed over the decades anyway.

Nothing takes me "out of the park" quicker than seeing some of the people who are there, wearing what some of them are wearing, doing what some of them do, glued to their mobile devices, and engaging in other behaviors that scream "real world" to me. *sigh*

“You know that place between sleeping and awake, that place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always think of you.”
    J.M. Barrie

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyette View Post
    I'm intimidated by Starbucks. How can you begin to learn all the intricacies of ordering? Hopefully I can learn to order a 50-syllable favorite someday, too!
    The easiest is to just order the smallest "coffee of the day." You can struggle with "tall" being "small" after you drink it and decide if you like it. Avoid the fru-fru frappawhateverswithextracalories until you decide you want a whipped coffee slushie milkshake. Then experiment.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

I believe they sold fancy coffee and pastries in the Market House prior to this change.

As well as tins of coffee and tea and various drinking utensils.

Sounds like the inside of a Starbucks already
    Hmm.... I don't recall any giant espresso machines in the Market House before, do you?

I believe they sold fancy coffee and pastries in the Market House prior to this change.
    As well as tins of coffee and tea and various drinking utensils.
    I assume you forgot to mention the other things they sold there, such as dry pasta, kitchen aprons and candies. Sounds like a small town market to me, not Starbucks.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Hmm.... I don't recall any giant espresso machines in the Market House before, do you?

I assume you forgot to mention the other things they sold there, such as dry pasta, kitchen aprons and candies. Sounds like a small town market to me, not Starbucks.
    And do we have any confirmation that they're not selling these things after the remodel?

It may very well sell those town market products still.

And yea, that Nescafe machine was pretty big
    -Dr. Strange

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Yes. This. Disney isn't as special as it used to be.

I would hate the new layout no matter the brand. If it were only the brand of coffee they were changing, then whatever. But it's become a lot more generic than it was and it's just meh in my opinion, given the concept art.

Yep. Exactly. No point shopping in any of the stores in the park, you can get it all on the way out at World of Disney and not have to carry it around all day.

Regretting less and less the loss of my AP. Wondering how much longer before I want to go back. Trying to decide if I should get more memories and pictures before they ruin it entirely.
    Some of these posts in favor of the Starbu... er, Market House (see, it's already starting...) sounds like the same arguments some were in favor for when the Penny Arcade became a candy store, "Oh, it will be more traffic friendly" or " Nobody played those games anyway". Some need to be careful what they wish for, Universal is already starting to overtake Disney's theming expertise.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Down Pluto!

Exactly. Just trying to explain the behavior of the people who were drinking the dreck known as Nescafé. Not other coffee drinkers who wisely avoided it. Didn't mean to imply that all coffee drinkers are desperate for their next fix

But I think we can all agree that caffeine is one of the more addictive legal substances available, and that it is tempting to drink whatever is available on Main Street as you trudge out at the end of 16 straight hours of hiking around Disneyland.
    Ewww...
    I guess then I need to re-assess my "addiction" level of caffeine - maybe I am just an overconsumer rather than a true addict.

Yeah, I was aware that it was not personal but was the all-inclusive "people." I was not sure the generality was accurate - that there were that many people who willingly drink swill just for the caffeine. I know quite a few consumers of caffeine who are much more discerning.

It was well after my post that I thought back to some of the people I have worked with...there may indeed be a large segment of the population that will gulp swill for the buzz.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast