Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Selfie Expert

Not being a coffee fan, I base my judgement on looks alone, and to that I say:

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• ...and the Flowers Croon

WOW. I was worried that it would be jarring to see a Starbucks sign on Main Street, but that's some of the best-themed, most subtle sponsor/vendor signage in DL! Well done.

Signage is discreet; looks just fine.

Not that I need a sign to find the coffee -- I just use my tiny snout to follow the aroma, because I LOVE me some sugary milky brew!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Not being a coffee fan, I base my judgement on looks alone, and to that I say:
    lol, same here

Are we looking at the same concept art?

i think it looks great and will make a great addition

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I'm not crazy about it so far. It seems to have lost a lot of its charm. Hopefully the final result will have more details and unique items in the public space instead of just a queue.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Let's see...

• Authentic turn of the century general store layout replaced by modern mall fast food-style layout? Check.
    • Quaint coziness of a small town general store replaced by a cavernous, high-volume "customer barn" space? Check.
    • Turn of the century corporate sponsor names like Swift and Del Monte replaced by trendy 21st century Starbucks? Check.

Yup, that's today's corporate Disneyland -- a marketing mall where money talks and "entering the world of yesterday" walks.

The only thing Staggs' sharp pencil boys need do now is finish slapping on the faux 1910 decor, pipe in "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" at too-loud volume, and listen to the ker-ching of the cash registers as crowds of branded-lifestyle consumers pack the place.

Bon appetit, Main Street... "I knew ya when."

Welcome to a world where theme is but merely a passing aesthetic resemblance.
    (Oddly enough, I type this from a Starbucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Welcome to a world where theme is but merely a passing aesthetic resemblance.
    (Oddly enough, I type this from a Starbucks.)

I'm not sure about passing but aesthetic resemblance is a pretty good definition of theme. Theme does not mean precise recreation.

If I throw a party themed to the old west there would likely be western clothing, decor, etc but the food will still be prepared in a modern kitchen and for the enjoyment of my guests I will still serve a few food and drink items that were not available in the 19th century.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Is it better to artificially keep the place small and with low demand by serving crappy coffee that no one wants? To me this is sort of the best of a bad situation. DL needs a coffee company that: people want, that is actually decent, and can be made quick enough to keep up with demand. SB is really the only one who fits all the criteria and unfortunately, with it comes a need for more space.
    To go to all that expense to ruin a charming element of the park just to get a better cup of coffee is overkill. Disneyland needs COFFEE that people like, NOT a coffee company. Why not just replace the crappy coffee with GOOD coffee. Starbucks is NOT the only good coffee in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    You know, sometimes making money and making people happy aren't mutually exclusive. Not all profitable decisions are motivated solely by greed.
    Your point above lends itself to just replacing the coffee over installing Starbucks. This decision WAS motivated by greed.

• Closed Account

Subtle signage?? The mere fact that I'm confronted with the word "Starbucks" (x2) is about as distracting as signage can be. I wonder how was the previous coffee provider able to exist without signage?

Wiggins is right again, as usual.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    I'm not sure about passing but aesthetic resemblance is a pretty good definition of theme. Theme does not mean precise recreation.

If I throw a party themed to the old west there would likely be western clothing, decor, etc but the food will still be prepared in a modern kitchen and for the enjoyment of my guests I will still serve a few food and drink items that were not available in the 19th century.
    But the extent of your themeing is not dependent on your food preparation. ALL food in the park is prepared in modern kitchen facilities without totally diminishing the themed environment.

Just putting out plastic tablecloths with spurs and ropes printed on them and throwing hay bales around is not theme. The extent that you create an old west themed party pretty much indicates how successful it will be. It's the overall depth of the decorations that set the mood.

If you prepare the food in the old west fashion, it will only further enhance the experience. However, providing the old west style food that was prepared in your kitchen doesn't diminish your theme as long as your themed decorations maintain the high level you intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Subtle signage?? The mere fact that I'm confronted with the word "Starbucks" (x2) is about as distracting as signage can be. I wonder how was the previous coffee provider able to exist without signage?

Wiggins is right again, as usual.

By that logic they better get the Coca Cola, Carnation and all other brand name signage down too.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    But the extent of your themeing is not dependent on your food preparation. ALL food in the park is prepared in modern kitchen facilities without totally diminishing the themed environment.

Just putting out plastic tablecloths with spurs and ropes printed on them and throwing hay bales around is not theme. The extent that you create an old west themed party pretty much indicates how successful it will be. It's the overall depth of the decorations that set the mood.

If you prepare the food in the old west fashion, it will only further enhance the experience. However, providing the old west style food that was prepared in your kitchen doesn't diminish your theme as long as your themed decorations maintain the high level you intended.

Your point is well taken and I essentially agree. So then how does then offering a contemporary brand of coffee beverage products (that incidentally people will actually want to buy and consume) detract from the turn of the century Main St, theme?

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast