Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It's not just the sponsoring company's year of founding that should be considered in theme placement, but the "cultural story" of the sponsor. Coca Cola on Main Street has been there from Disneyland's opening, as it was on Main Streets across America in the 1890-1910 period that Disneyland's Main Street evokes (note, evokes, not "recreates verbatim").
    And that there was a literal "Coke Corner" in Marceline, Missouri.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

The Welch's grape juice location was themed to the Pastoral sequence from Fantasia, with mural artwork adapted from the film to feature grape juice instead of wine. As well, Welch's products were widely regarded as healthy refreshments for kids in the 1950s.

Greek mythology does not exactly fit the theme of a medieval European fair either though, and the product it was selling was certainly not sold in medieval Europe. However, the planners of the park were able to blend in a popular brand centuries younger than the Renaissance fair they were trying to evoke. Why couldn't they do the same today with Starbucks by blending into the look and feel of Main Street.

It's not just the sponsoring company's year of founding that should be considered in theme placement, but the "cultural story" of the sponsor. Coca Cola on Main Street has been there from Disneyland's opening, as it was on Main Streets across America in the 1890-1910 period that Disneyland's Main Street evokes (note, evokes, not "recreates verbatim"). In contrast, Starbucks evokes modern mall/modern commuter/modern consumer culture, no matter how much 1910 gingerbread is slapped on it.
    The concept art and photos of the exterior show that the Starbucks tie-in will be minimal in terms of Starbucks signage/décor, and it appears to be evocative of Main Street. It's not like they're going to convert it into a modern Starbucks I can find near my house. If that happened, then I would totally agree with you.

Looks great!

• Banned User

I think most guests won't notice that Starbucks wasn't around a hundred years ago. (Most folks probably don't know when Maxwell House got started) Main Street's has always sold modern products, modern film, modern toys . . . coffee is an old school sort of beverage, cappuccinos were invented in the 17th Century, (name comes from Capuchin monks).

Seriously, how many guests even known when certain companies were founded? With all the modern stuff on Main Street, a retro-fied Starbucks ain't the biggest "problem" if you think of any of this stuff as a serious problem.

WDI made some faux-black and white photos for MK's Starbucks to suggest that the place existed at the turn of the century Main Street.

Name:  00-starbucks-story.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  163.8 KB

The proprietor actually collected an old Mermaid antique and liked it so much that he made it the logo for his Starbucks shop.

Why not live in a world where Starbucks is a family owned company over a century old?

Main Street uses nostalgia, and promotes well-known brands in a visible way that is in part a victory lap for American ingenuity/creativity. Starbucks is an American creation that is a "classic" in the sense of its ubiquity, hence it has kinda earned its place on Main Street.

Main Street follows Walt's desire that lands in Disneyland "look good", first and foremost, adding interesting historical features is what helps sell the land, but of course, no turn of the century Main Street had marine grade acrylic paints and a lot of the other modern conveniences Main Street has. In an idealized world (I don't drink coffee so I'm going out on a branch), I think that most Starbucks patrons would like to think of Starbucks as having this rich tradition dating back a hundred years. You go to Europe and it seems that every coffee house is older than the United States, by a couple hundred years.

Having a faux-old fashion Starbucks on Main Street is kinda cool, like something you'd see in a Back to the Future movie, Marty runs into the first Starbucks in an old west town, even though the company came into existence in 1971. Not historically accurate, but kinda interesting anyway.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-25-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Let's see...

• Authentic turn of the century general store layout replaced by modern mall fast food-style layout? Check.

Really? The layout was as authentic as the Matterhorn.

• Iron-Clad Allie

The 19th/20th turn of the century floor/furnishings design combined with the 21st Century ceiling takes on a unique charm. I'm already savoring the heady brews and anticipating the other treats. Am also looking forward to the fancy reading area....but will I be able to bring one of the shop's books back to my room in the evening when I'll have more time to kick back and read?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-25-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Disney and anachronisms go hand in hand. And considering how Disneyland is built on the idea of exploring yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy, this is what the Disney universe becomes built on.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Disney and anachronisms go hand in hand. And considering how Disneyland is built on the idea of exploring yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy, this is what the Disney universe becomes built on.

Long live Disneyland's multidimensional anachronisms!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Minion

I think it looks cool can't wait to see it.

• Disneyland History Lover

While I prefer the way it looked before, I think that the concept art (and since it's concept art and not a final product I'll withold judgement) looks OK. It looks like the overall theme is more modernized just as it seems with the FF&P Cafe, but the general idea it gave off before is still there. I've always liked how the Market House was an intimate and charming place, and I think it's most important that they maintain that feeling above anything else. If this redo can still capture that feeling, then they will have done a good job.

I would love it if Main Street never changed. I would love it if Market House wasn't being transformed to serve an exponentially higher number of people (though let's be honest... it's needed better crowd flow for years). But unfortunately everything changes, whether it be on Main Street at Disneyland or elsewhere. People and brands evolve along with tastes and the way major companies are run (for better or for worse). All one can really do is go along with it, hoping that at least the feeling that was delivered before can still be felt.

• At the bottom

At least Disney is being honest with their advertising. The queue takes up 25% of the concept art!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    That Starbucks sign is so subtle and blended in with the paint job it's almost impossible to see. What they should have done is gone the Walt Disney 1950's/60's route and really let the corporate sponsor put up a big bold electric sign staring at you right as you enter the park, like this gem from Main Street USA circa 1960.
    Name:  Ansco_5_60_N06B.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  127.6 KB

But if the 2013 Imagineers really wanted to give the new Starbucks that 1960 Walt Disney touch, they'd not only create an electrified sign for the new coffee house, they'd purposely let three or four light bulbs be burned out on the sign like Walt did at his Hill Bros. Coffee Garden. You know, for just a touch of corporate sponsorship tainted with slightly shoddy maintenance standards. PRESSLER! er.... um.... WALT!
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-26-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Complaining guest to City Hall: I just heard I could of had a cup Starbucks coffee here, why don't you have a sign?

City Hall: Sorry mam, since the Starbucks company was not around in 1900, we are not allowed to have a sign....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Complaining guest to City Hall: I just heard I could of had a cup Starbucks coffee here, why don't you have a sign?

City Hall: Sorry mam, since the Starbucks company was not around in 1900, we are not allowed to have a sign....
    OR

You can get Starbucks coffee at any of our fine restaurants. We just didn't turn them into Starbucks restaurants.

• A Happy Haunt

Looks great and fitting our times. The park adjustments are not obscene. I enjoy the faux styling. It doesn't NEED to be era accurate, it needs to FEEL good and harkin back to an era that MOST are vaguely familiar with.

hey, how's everyone feel about the Mary Poppins?

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast