Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• -

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    Even the name "Starbucks" seems historically plausible. The novel "Moby Dick" was first published in 1851, so a company or product named after one of its characters could have existed in the era depicted on Main Street.
    Yes, but Battlestar Galactica did not come out until 1978 which is way beyond the 1890-1910 period of Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Problem is, the brands you mention are period-appropriate--they existed at the turn of the century.

Starbucks did not.
    Nescafe that is currently served there did not exist at that time either. As I have stated before, if they are just replacing one out of place coffee with another, why not at least make it something that people will enjoy? The majority opinion to what is being replaced is that it was brewed in a sweatsock. At least the store will have period specific décor. If they must go with a non-period specific brand, I say at least make it something good.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    And that there was a literal "Coke Corner" in Marceline, Missouri.
    That’s great, but Main Street is not supposed to be Marceline, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    hey, how's everyone feel about the Mary Poppins?
    There have actually been quite a few threads on that and how out of place the bakery is, theme-wise.
    Last edited by calsig31; 08-26-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Down Pluto!

In a fantasy/reality check...maybe the "starbucks" coffee came from Minnesota circa 1885.

Starbuck, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly qualifies turn of the century wise?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Former Churro Jockey

I think the art looks nice, but I still worry that they've underestimated the line. If you think back to the Blue Ribbon Bakery (with Disney's "crappy" coffee) that had a long line that was 20 minutes or more (sometimes a lot more at Christmastime). Although I understand them wanting to try to keep it like the old Market House while increasing capacity, I wonder if we ended up with the worst of all worlds. The Blue Ribbon Bakery had room for a long line, and it was the best themed store on Main St, in my opinion. We'll see how things turn out, but I think they might have been better served recreating the Blue Ribbon Bakery rather then trying to preserve the Market House.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

There's also a chance that the waiting area is keyed towards the eventual four Starbucks goal.

I think they're off - there's (not exaggerating) over TWENTY locations already in existence around the park, many on major traffic routes to and from the resort. Someone who's keyed up enough not to stop at an extremely convenient location on the way in is likely to wait until they're all the way in to the park of choice rather than hit up the DD kiosk or full store.

I may be wrong on this - I don't have access to figures of anything similar in a theme park environment if the figures even exist - but I have a feeling that the kiosk is going to see light business outside a few rushes, the DD full store will stay busy just like the rest of the DD snacky outlets, and the two park full stores will be slammed and then vacant throughout the day like the original location, and someone in TDA's going to be left scratching their heads as to why it wasn't enough.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There's also a chance that the waiting area is keyed towards the eventual four Starbucks goal.

I think they're off - there's (not exaggerating) over TWENTY locations already in existence around the park, many on major traffic routes to and from the resort. Someone who's keyed up enough not to stop at an extremely convenient location on the way in is likely to wait until they're all the way in to the park of choice rather than hit up the DD kiosk or full store.

I may be wrong on this - I don't have access to figures of anything similar in a theme park environment if the figures even exist - but I have a feeling that the kiosk is going to see light business outside a few rushes, the DD full store will stay busy just like the rest of the DD snacky outlets, and the two park full stores will be slammed and then vacant throughout the day like the original location, and someone in TDA's going to be left scratching their heads as to why it wasn't enough.
    Where did you get the figure of "TWENTY" Starbucks in the Anaheim area, and at key arrival zones?

I only count two Starbucks, and they're at secondary arrival zones.

1. Starbucks at Chevron Service Station, Southeast corner of Ball Rd. & Harbor (Physically the closest, but only directly accessible when traveling north on Harbor or east on Ball, the directions that lead you AWAY from the Resort District)
    2. Starbucks on Katella at Angel Stadium Shopping Center, 2.25 Miles east of Disneyland, but is convenient if you have exited the 57 Freeway at Katella

Then there's three other Starbucks within a 2 mile radius, but they are all kiosk locations inside the lobbies of large hotels; the Convention Center Marriott Hotel, the Marriott Suites in Garden Grove, and the Hyatt Hotel in Garden Grove. Who the heck would pull into a hotel parking lot (Hyatt and Marriott Hotel charge for parking in 15 minute increments) and then shlep through the lobby to go to a Starbucks kiosk on their way to Disneyland? Those lobby kiosks are open for limited hours, and primarily serve the guests of those large convention hotels.

There are no other Starbucks in the Anaheim Resort District. And the closest one at the Chevron is on the wrong side of the road at a huge 12 lane intersection for people arriving at Disneyland on surface streets. It's handy for those leaving Disneyland though, as long as you are heading east on Ball Road or north on Harbor Blvd.

Otherwise, the four Starbucks to be eventually built on Disney property will have the market practically all to themselves. That Downtown Disney location at the tram loading area though will take some heat off of the Buena Vista Street and Main Street USA locations.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Where did you get the figure of "TWENTY" Starbucks in the Anaheim area, and at key arrival zones?

I only count two Starbucks, and they're at secondary arrival zones.
    I brought up a map on Starbuck's website. I clicked "find store" and typed in Disneyland Resort. I zoomed out to include the two or three city blocks around Disneyland figuring that would represent the radius most hotel and parkgoers would be concerned with and started counting.

There were 23 in my admittedly non-scientific count, actually. More than that if I'd expanded about half a block.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I brought up a map on Starbuck's website. I clicked "find store" and typed in Disneyland Resort. I zoomed out to include the two or three city blocks around Disneyland figuring that would represent the radius most hotel and parkgoers would be concerned with and started counting.

There were 23 in my admittedly non-scientific count, actually. More than that if I'd expanded about half a block.
    a lot of people at the resort don't have cars or don't want to drive from their hotel to get coffee. look again there are not 23 starbucks in a 2 to 3 block distance from the resort.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I think the art looks nice, but I still worry that they've underestimated the line. If you think back to the Blue Ribbon Bakery (with Disney's "crappy" coffee) that had a long line that was 20 minutes or more (sometimes a lot more at Christmastime). Although I understand them wanting to try to keep it like the old Market House while increasing capacity, I wonder if we ended up with the worst of all worlds. The Blue Ribbon Bakery had room for a long line, and it was the best themed store on Main St, in my opinion. We'll see how things turn out, but I think they might have been better served recreating the Blue Ribbon Bakery rather then trying to preserve the Market House.
    Yeah, I really miss the blue ribbon bakery. It had some very good theming, but the line was horrible.

If they do the eastside Main Street alley project, this might well free up some room for more checkouts. I'm thinking of a Starbucks version of a Mint Jullep bar in an alley that has shade and can accomodate a moderate size line.

But it looks like the checkout is on the "wrong" side of the Market House, from the concept art.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

It looks similar to the Magic Kingdom's to me. I don't mind it. But, I am a Starbucks fan I have no issues with the outside signage either
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

The Magic Kingdom Starbucks has 15 people behind the counter in the picture below . . . I wonder how big the Market House's staff will be.

Attachment 31717

• Senior Minion

Yeow, that map is littered with more green "Starbucks" symbols than a junkyard dog has fleas! They plaster the Anaheim area like junk food drive-throughs.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hukuna Matata!

Looks good to me.

Agreed. I don't see what all the fuss is really about. It looks absolutely fine on the inside and outside, and they are still keeping some classics from the well decorated interiors to the pot bellied stoves and phone lines. And now there will be 3 convenient locations for guests to get their Starbucks coffee; Disneyland, California Adventure, and Downtown Disney. Better coffee, more coffee installations, and still retains the theme and thematic elements that made the original so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yeow, that map is littered with more green "Starbucks" symbols than a junkyard dog has fleas! They plaster the Anaheim area like junk food drive-throughs.
    No disrespect, but I took a look at their website to check it out. Yes, there are 20Starbucks locations, but many of them are located out of their way of a Disneyland guest, and seem to be more there for the local population rather than for tourist revenue and are blocks and blocks away from the actual resort. There are, so far, only 4 locations that are within the distance of the resort; 2 in the convention center, 1 in DCA, and 1 on the intersection of Ball and Harbor Blvd. And if you really want to stretch it, there are the 2 located south on Chapman. I don't know about you, but if I were an out of town tourist, I would want to stay on the property as much as possible and not go farther than a few blocks away from the premise, with even 2 being enough. I wouldn't want to travel too far from the Resort by foot...and I'm a local! The Starbucks we're talking about is located on the Disneyland Resort premise, not in the surrounding Anaheim City. These stores are located here for the convenience of the park guests, while the ones out there are for the convenience of the city of Anaheim's consumers who want to buy Starbucks.

Plus they have the luxury of having cars and traveling light to ease the burden, while a tourist may just have their walking capabilities, added upon that whatever they may be carrying, which usually ends up being backpacks, water, merchandise, and what not. And let's try not to forget that these guests may also have to abide to dinner, fastpass, or show reservations, and traveling this far out even for a little while for that cup of coffee could be detrimental to their schedule.
    Last edited by Bongo; 08-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

You weren't zooming by city blocks, you were zooming by miles.

The closest Starbucks to Disneyland is at the Chevron on Harbor/Ball Road. Zoom out two miles away and you get the lobby kiosks in the big convention hotels down Harbor in Garden Grove. Zoom out over two miles and you finally get the Starbucks on Katella across from Angel Stadium.

When you finally zoom out within a 6 mile radius of Disneyland, far away from the "Resort District" and into the rather gritty working class neighborhoods of Anaheim, Garden Grove, Stanton, north Santa Ana and south Orange, you get a dozen Starbucks in strip malls and a Target store or two. But those are miles and miles away from Disneyland and nowhere near where an average tourist would venture.

I'll say it again. There are only two stand-alone Starbucks stores within a few miles of Disneyland; one at the Chevron at Harbor/Ball Road and the second one is 2.25 miles east across from Angel Stadium. There's nothing closer, and nothing convenient to any of the major access points for locals exiting the I-5 Santa Ana Freeway when going to Disneyland.
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    There are nine, (9), stand-alone Starbucks in the entire city of Anaheim. (A few more exist in hotel-lobby kiosks or Target store snack bars) Only two (2) of the stand-alone Starbucks are remotely convenient to Disneyland to local commuters, and it's really just that one on the northeast corner of Harbor and Ball Road. (But it's on the wrong side of Harbor for arriving Disneyland visitors, although convenient for Disneyland visitors leaving the Resort District on surface streets towards the northeast)

The furthest of those nine Anaheim Starbucks is the one on Tustin Avenue north of the 91 freeway, approximately 11 miles from Disneyland.

Since Anaheim has a population of 335,000 people, that's one Starbucks for every 40,000 people.

The Anaheim Resort District has five Starbucks currently; one in DCA, one at the Chevron on Harbor/Ball Road, one kiosk in the lobby of the Anaheim Marriott, one kiosk in the lobby of the Garden Grove Hyatt Hotel, and one kiosk in the lobby of the Garden Grove Marriott Suites. (The Hyatt and the Marriott charge for parking, so only overnight guests of those hotels would really consider using the lobby Starbucks there.)

If it was easy to find a Starbucks within a 3 mile radius of Disneyland, the lines at the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café wouldn't be as long as they are with multiple registers and a dozen baristas hustling behind the counter there.
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-26-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast