Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Main Street USA is an attraction, just as anything is at Disneyland. Replacing a historic interior space with something as ordinary and boring as Starbucks is a complete shame. They could have built a Starbucks anywhere in the park, it didn't need to be installed at the expense of one of the original stores.

• Minion

In other fascinating news, there are currently five (5) Hallmark Cards stores in Anaheim, CA. That would mean this little corporate sponsorship gem on Walt Disney's Main Street USA would have been roughly as horrifying to Disneyland fans in 1965 (except Walt himself) as a Starbucks may be to a few folks in 2013.

Hallmark Crown Card Store Exterior - Main Street USA Circa 1960
    Attachment 31726

Hallmark Crown Store Interior - Main Street USA Circa 1975
    Name:  csftsts375n13bgf2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  67.5 KB

And just like the old Hills Bros Coffee Garden picture from 1960 earlier in this thread, the Hallmark Store in 1975 had a burnt out light bulb! PRESSLER!... er.... um.... LINDQUIST!
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Main Street USA is an attraction, just as anything is at Disneyland. Replacing a historic interior space with something as ordinary and boring as Starbucks is a complete shame. They could have built a Starbucks anywhere in the park, it didn't need to be installed at the expense of one of the original stores.
    The Market House has already had several changes of sponsor and purpose over the last 58 years. It was originally the Swift Market House, sponsored by Swift & Company and sold an oddball collection of Swift's various candy and chocolates plus home goods. In the mid 1960's the shelves of the Swift Market House were stocked with candy and snacks packaged in mod packaging just as hip and psychedelic colorful as the young ladies rising a-go-go hemline in this photo. Also take note of the mod mid 1960's signage on top of the candy display at center left.

By the early 1970's the C&H Sugar Company took over and the Market House sold a collection of foodstuffs, plus branded sugar snacks from C&H Sugar, with a prominent corporate logos plastered on the walls.

By the 1990's the sponsorship had changed again, and Maxwell House Coffee was being served. The grocery counter was remodeled into a coffee shop operation, and the location overall was plussed up and upgraded. It was at this time that the original pot belly stove was replaced with a far more intricate looking one than the one in the 1966 photo above. It was also in the 1990's that Disneyland's merchandise team, during the golden age of Master Merchandiser Paul Pressler, began offering free refills on the coffee, in an attempt to pull people back down to Main Street USA mid-day to boost Main Street sales during a traditionally slow time of day. Ka-ching!
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-26-2013 at 10:30 PM.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The Market House has already had several changes of sponsor and purpose over the last 58 years. It was originally the Swift Market House, sponsored by Swift & Company and sold an oddball collection of Swift's various candy and chocolates plus home goods. In the mid 1960's the shelves of the Swift Market House were stocked with candy and snacks packaged in mod packaging just as hip and psychedelic colorful as the young ladies rising a-go-go hemline in this photo. Also take note of the mod mid 1960's signage on top of the candy display at center left.

By the early 1970's the C&H Sugar Company took over and the Market House sold a collection of foodstuffs, plus branded sugar snacks from C&H Sugar, with a prominent corporate logos plastered on the walls.

By the 1990's the sponsorship had changed again, and Maxwell House Coffee was being served. The grocery counter was remodeled into a coffee shop operation, and the location overall was plussed up and upgraded. It was at this time that the original pot belly stove was replaced with a far more intricate looking one than the one in the 1966 photo above. It was also in the 1990's that Disneyland's merchandise team, during the golden age of Master Merchandiser Paul Pressler, began offering free refills on the coffee, in an attempt to pull people back down to Main Street USA mid-day to boost Main Street sales during a traditionally slow time of day. Ka-ching!
    When I refer to original stores, I don't necessarily mean the product they are selling. Naturally the sponsors are going to change over time, but one thing that stayed relatively the same was the architecture and layout, even when it was impractical. Gutting it in favor of a modern wide open coffee shop you can find anywhere leaves a bad taste in my mouth and overlooks the true purpose of Main Street as an attraction first. If every square inch had to be optimized for sales, why not gut the Cinema and Firehouse and start selling merchandise?

Losing the birthday cake room is simply unacceptable in my opinion for something as common and unimportant as Starbucks. Disneyland is special because of the little details and old school vibe, the very thing that was ruined in this change.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.

It's extremely frustrating, frankly even disgusting, that so few seem to understand a simple concept: YOU DO NOT need corporate branding to provide a quality cup of coffee, or plate of food, or other consumption experience.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    It's extremely frustrating, frankly even disgusting, that so few seem to understand a simple concept: YOU DO NOT need corporate branding to provide a quality cup of coffee, or plate of food, or other consumption experience.
    You are correct in that it's not necessary, however unless Disney grows their own coffee, they will be buying from a brand. I guarantee that brand will offer them much cheaper prices if Disney agrees to advertise that they're using that brand, which in turn increases profits. *shrugs* It's business, which to the dismay of many is what Disney is.

Also, advertising a well known, popular brand (maybe not so popular on here, but undeniably popular in general) will increase sales. Another good business move.
    Last edited by KellyMcG86; 08-27-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: addition

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    When I refer to original stores, I don't necessarily mean the product they are selling. Naturally the sponsors are going to change over time, but one thing that stayed relatively the same was the architecture and layout, even when it was impractical. Gutting it in favor of a modern wide open coffee shop you can find anywhere leaves a bad taste in my mouth and overlooks the true purpose of Main Street as an attraction first. If every square inch had to be optimized for sales, why not gut the Cinema and Firehouse and start selling merchandise?
    Exactly. WDW has already turned their Main Street into a merchandise mall; it looks like Disneyland won't be far behind.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Oh Wiggins please. MKs MS is a defacto World of Disney at the entrance to MK. DLs MS is........well.........struggling, but you guys STILL have. The DL Story/Lincoln, Disneyana, Carnation, Gibson Girl, MS Cineman, Magic Shop, Penny Aracade (ok, the front third of it), Jolly Holiday, Plaza Inn. Also, the set décor and propping on DLs MS is waaaay better than MK. Walk into the "Main Street Atheletic Club" at MK and tell you don't feel you stepped into an American Eagle at the mall.

• Closed Account

I wonder if all the people who happily accept a Starbucks would react the same way if the Emporium was suddenly re-branded as "Walmart," including, of course, tasteful "subtle" signage.

Saddly, I suspect they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I wonder if all the people who happily accept a Starbucks would react the same way if the Emporium was suddenly re-branded as "Walmart," including, of course, tasteful "subtle" signage.

Aren't those two different extremes though?

I surely do hope that this thread does not get thrown into the Litter Box like a few others I have seen...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Aren't those two different extremes though?
    How so?

• Minion

The Emporium does not need to rely on Wal-Mart because Disney has its own merchandise to sell. In contrast, the coffee shop has been known to rely on brand sponsorships in the past with Swift and Nestle and Maxwell House Coffee because Disney does not make its own coffee.

I think they did a good job of incorporating Starbucks into DCA, I think once they are done with the Main Street one, it probably won't be so bad.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The Emporium does not need to rely on Wal-Mart because Disney has its own merchandise to sell. In contrast, the coffee shop has been known to rely on brand sponsorships in the past with Swift and Nestle and Maxwell House Coffee because Disney does not make its own coffee.
    All of the merchandise in the Emporium is made by other manufacturers.

Just as Disney buys products made by other manufactuers and puts the Disney name on it, so too could they have done that with the coffee.

As Wiggins alluded to some pages ago, the problem really isn't the coffee--it's the "brand" and the "feeling" that brand evokes. Starbucks evokes a very modern, shopping-mall-esque, dare I say non-wholesome feeling; Walmart would evoke a very similar feeling. As would a 7-11 replacing Coke Corner.

The McDonalds fries in Frontierland suffered from a similar feeling of being WAY out of place--no matter how good the fries were.

Swift, Coke, Hills Brothers or Carnation never sufferd from this problem, and the feelings they evoked were much differnt than Starbucks, Walmart or McDonalds

• Minion

A scenario like this wouldn't happen, given the fact that Disney makes their own clothes and merchandise in general. They don't make their own coffee to be served in the parks.

Next scenario.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast